X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet 2011

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    ...the hell? Yes it does. I've never not had it tacked on. Pardon the double negative.
    I have had a time or two where it didn't get tacked on, but it is a very rare occurrance. I just assumed that somewhere my credit slip was misplaced and left (almost) a double tip the next time I had that waitress.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
      I have had a time or two where it didn't get tacked on, but it is a very rare occurrance. I just assumed that somewhere my credit slip was misplaced and left (almost) a double tip the next time I had that waitress.
      I wouldn't know. I rarely keep restaurant receipts anymore.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The 1% tip story has turned out to be a hoax. I'm just too lazy at the moment to provide a link.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
          The 1% tip story has turned out to be a hoax. I'm just too lazy at the moment to provide a link.
          Just saw an article on yahoo about it. The problem there is the picture of the original receipt they show is the "Guest Copy" (which also could easily have been doctored afterwards) while the one in the original article is the "Merchant Copy." Who knows.
          Last edited by Proud2baLaker; 02-28-2012, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
            Oops. Sorry if I got suckered.
            Twitter: DanMountSports
            2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              Agreed. That's not the customer's fault, that is a VISA technology FAIL.
              yeah, I would think the waitstaff would be **** sure that they put it all in the right way, so I don't see where it would be the customer's fault here. Although I do think I do see the wisdom of just going strait cash at a place like a coney island.
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                Oops. Sorry if I got suckered.
                Not so suckered. Ask anyone who has ever waited on tables and they'll provide an endless supply of similar stories.
                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                  Not so suckered. Ask anyone who has ever waited on tables and they'll provide an endless supply of similar stories.
                  I'm skeptical of some of those stories. Sure, waiters and waitresses get screwed over on tips, it happens and it sucks. But I don't like the idea that they expect a good tip if the service is terrible, maybe they don't, but that is impression that I have gotten. I have no problem tipping well when I get even decent service, but if the service is completely horse****, I don't think it is out of line to leave a horse**** tip. On the other hand, if the place is somewhere where I plan on going back to regularly or soon, I tip well no matter what because I don't want my food to get ****ed with, but that's a different issue.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I know I would believe it. Hell, last night at work I did a 90 Hot Stone Massage, which is a hundred dollar service there where I work at. I just looked at my credit card tips here and the lady only tipped me 5 bucks for it. Granted she could have also given cash along with the 5 on the credit card, our system doesn't track cash given as tips as we get our tips at the end of the shift. And given the fact that I only got $28 in tips from Monday Night, I kind of doubt it she really added more there.
                    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

I'm skeptical of some of those stories. Sure, waiters and waitresses get screwed over on tips, it happens and it sucks. But I don't like the idea that they expect a good tip if the service is terrible, maybe they don't, but that is impression that I have gotten. I have no problem tipping well when I get even decent service, but if the service is completely horse****, I don't think it is out of line to leave a horse**** tip. On the other hand, if the place is somewhere where I plan on going back to regularly or soon, I tip well no matter what because I don't want my food to get ****ed with, but that's a different issue.
                      Many (most?) a*shats rationalize and justify stiffing the waitstaff using that exact same language. I'm not suggesting YOU're an a*shat, only that the pr*cks who pretty consistently and deliberately abuse and under tip waitstaff have appropriated your reasoning. My own view is most service is average, some is extraordinary and some really sucks. A bell curve, if you will. And IMO the amount of waitstaff stiffing far exceeds the amount of really sucky service. Theoretically there's an amount of money that could induce me to wait tables, but it's only theoretical.
                      Last edited by Old Pio; 02-28-2012, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Many (most?) a*shats rationalize and justify stiffing the waitstaff using the exact same language. I'm not suggesting YOU're an a*shat, only that the pr*cks who pretty consistently and deliberately abuse and under tip waitstaff have appropriated your language. My own view is most service is average, some is extraordinary and some really sucks. A bell curve, if you will. And IMO the amount of waitstaff stiffing far exceeds the amount of really sucky service. Theoretically there's an amount of money that could induce me to wait tables, but it's only theoretical.
                        I agree with that. I would also guess that the asshats that use that rationalization do it because they actually know they're asshats, and make the excuse so they don't feel like an a-hole.
                        Service has to be pretty bad, even horrible for me to give a bad tip. Even average service I tip 20%, sometimes more, if its going on the corporate card.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I agree with that. I would also guess that the asshats that use that rationalization do it because they actually know they're asshats, and make the excuse so they don't feel like an a-hole.
                          Service has to be pretty bad, even horrible for me to give a bad tip. Even average service I tip 20%, sometimes more, if its going on the corporate card.
                          A few years ago, while working in Milwaukee, a guy for the Journal Sentinal wrote a column about why black folks are such notoriously bad tippers. Naturally, he was black himself. Anyway, the point of the column was that the reputation, generally, was deserved. And he offered several possible explanations for it. But an expectation of perfect as opposed to good service, headed the list.

Comment

A few years ago, while working in Milwaukee, a guy for the Journal Sentinal wrote a column about why black folks are such notoriously bad tippers. Naturally, he was black himself. Anyway, the point of the column was that the reputation, generally, was deserved. And he offered several possible explanations for it. But an expectation of perfect as opposed to good service, headed the list.
                            I usually start with 20%, and go from there. I rarely have had bad service, though, and then I think I dipped to 10%. Most of the places I go to, I'm a semi-regular, and the staff generally remembers me/my group, or I know that I'm going to get good service, and the tips are usually higher.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Hell, once I tried to tip something like $7000 at Toby Keith's!

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                                I know I would believe it. Hell, last night at work I did a 90 Hot Stone Massage, which is a hundred dollar service there where I work at. I just looked at my credit card tips here and the lady only tipped me 5 bucks for it. Granted she could have also given cash along with the 5 on the credit card, our system doesn't track cash given as tips as we get our tips at the end of the shift. And given the fact that I only got $28 in tips from Monday Night, I kind of doubt it she really added more there.
                                You always talk about tips but I look at my MT like I would a PT or an OT. She has a private practice, not in a salon. I won't think anyone I know tips her. Not only that I think she would be shocked if we did.

Comment

Working...
                                X