14 @ Illinois, TBD
    15 @ Illinois, TBD
    21 vs. Ohio, 7:00 p.m.
    22 vs. Ohio, 3:30 p.m.
    28 @ Rhode Island, 7:00 p.m.
    29 @ Rhode Island, 7:00 p.m.

November
    4 @ Neumann (NCAA DIII), TBD
    5 vs. SUNY-Fredonia (NCAA DIII), 7:00 p.m.
    6 vs. Pittsburgh, 12:00 p.m.
    10 @ West Chester, TBD
    11 vs. West Chester, 7:00 p.m.
    18 @ Delaware, TBD
    19 vs. Delaware, 3:30 p.m.

December
    2 vs. Rutgers, 7:00 p.m.
    3 vs. Rutgers, 3:30 p.m.
    9 @ Liberty, TBD
    10 @ Liberty, TBD
    16 vs. Niagara, 7:00 p.m.

January
    4 @ Central Oklahoma, TBD
    5 @ Oklahoma, TBD
    6 @ Central Oklahoma, TBD
    7 @ Oklahoma, TBD
    13 vs. Rhode Island, 7:00 p.m.
    14 vs. Rhode Island, 3:30 p.m.
    20 vs. West Virginia, 7:00 p.m.
    21 vs. West Virginia, 3:30 p.m.
    27 @ Ohio, 7:00 p.m.
    28 @ Ohio, 7:00 p.m.

February
    3 vs. Oklahoma, 7:00 p.m.
    4 vs. Oklahoma, 3:30 p.m.
    10 vs. Mercyhurst, 7:00 p.m.
    11 vs. Mercyhurst, 3:30 p.m.
    17 @ Lebanon Valley, TBD
    18 vs. Lebanon Valley, 3:30 p.m.
    24 TBD
    25 TBD

March
    3-7 @ ACHA National Tournament - Strongsville, OH
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Re: Penn State 2011-12 Schedule

Not a bad schedule but not the toughest in the ACHA and esp for a transition season from ACHA to NCAA DI. I would like to see them play the top ACHA teams-Davenport and Lindenwood, a few more NCAA DIII or CIS opponents, and it would have been nice to play exhibition or two with Atlantic Hockey (They've played Robert Morris (PA) a cpl times in the past). I assume since the schedule on PennStateHockey.com doesn't say, that the game in Dec against Niagara and two game series vs. Mercyhurst are against those schools' ACHA teams.

Also Lebanon Valley is dropping even lower, last season was their first in the ACHA from horrible winless streak in NCAA DIII, they played some lower ranked ACHA DI and some ACHA DII teams. Their coach is now gone and rumors are that LVC will probably join ACHA DII within the next few seasons.

Comment

Why would a NCAA varisty team play an ACHA team? NU doesnt have it on their schedule but I dont see why they would do that. Has to a captians practice type game. If a true NCAA varisty team lost to an ACHA it would kill future recruiting. too much to lose. Can you talk more about this?

Also there are no future NCAA DI players on this team correct? They are recruiting for the 2012-2013 season right? Wouldnt make sense to waste a year of eligibility. I know a player on this ACHA DI team, he honestly thinks he'll make the NCAA DI team. Who knows, maybe he will but it’s unlikely.
      Last edited by ballgame; 06-24-2011, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
        Why would a NCAA varisty team play an ACHA team? NU doesnt have it on their schedule but I dont see why they would do that. Has to a captians practice type game. If a true NCAA varisty team lost to an ACHA it would kill future recruiting. too much to lose. Can you talk more about this?
        Penn State has played a number of D-1 and D-3 varsity teams over the years. The game against Neumann is scheduled to be played at the Wells Fargo Arena in Philly.

Also there are no future NCAA DI players on this team correct? They are recruiting for the 2012-2013 season right? Wouldnt make sense to waste a year of eligibility. I know a player on this ACHA DI team, he honestly thinks he'll make the NCAA DI team. Who knows, maybe he will but it’s unlikely.
        There will be several varsity recruits on this year's team, which will be coached by varsity coach Guy Gadowsky and his assistants. They do not lose a year of eligibility since they can play four years of varsity in five academic years.

Comment

Ok so they get 4 years to play, but 1 of those 4 will be this coming year.......which is 1 year before they go NCAA DI. So once they jump up those players will have 3 years left right? Not bad to get some guys in and start learning the system so there arent 25 brand new faces

Comment

Ok so they get 4 years to play, but 1 of those 4 will be this coming year.......which is 1 year before they go NCAA DI. So once they jump up those players will have 3 years left right? Not bad to get some guys in and start learning the system so there arent 25 brand new faces
            No - they can play this year in the ACHA and still have four years of varsity eligibility. Think of it as redshirting.

Comment

Steve

As I understand it, the ACHA-1 team is kaput after this season. What happens to the players on that team that don't have a chance of playing for the NCAA team? Do they drop to the ACHA2 team (IIRC, they have to pay to play on that team) which would make that a dynamite ACHA2 team? Or do all the club teams drop an ACHA classification (1->2 and 2->3)?????
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Steve

As I understand it, the ACHA-1 team is kaput after this season. What happens to the players on that team that don't have a chance of playing for the NCAA team? Do they drop to the ACHA2 team (IIRC, they have to pay to play on that team) which would make that a dynamite ACHA2 team? Or do all the club teams drop an ACHA classification (1->2 and 2->3)?????
                You're right, the D-1 ACHA team has one more season, then the D-2 team will be the top ACHA team in 2012-13.
                The juniors and sophomores this school year will have a chance to make the varsity team -- how many can make it remains to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Steve

Yes, Penn State operated the ACHA DI team with varsity club status. having a varsity-club team and full varsity NCAA team doesn't make much sense, at schools with club teams and NCAA teams attendance of the club team is minimal compared to the NCAA team.

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                  You're right, the D-1 ACHA team has one more season, then the D-2 team will be the top ACHA team in 2012-13.
                  The juniors and sophomores this school year will have a chance to make the varsity team -- how many can make it remains to be seen.
                  Because of how well Penn State recruited in the past and their programs rich history there's a few players on the current roster that have a chance of a 3rd or 4th line role. With Gadowsky coaching this season, those current guys are essentially on tryout all year (at least if I was one of them that's how I'd play every practice and game). As it's been said, some of the incoming players are recruits for the NCAA team coming a year early. It'll provide a better transition not to have an NCAA team of mostly freshmen with a few transfers.

The players that don't make the NCAA team can continue playing on the ACHA DII team, some may transfer to other ACHA DI programs or NCAA DIII programs, and others may just hang up competitive hockey and focus on graduating.

Comment

that ACHA D2 team will own everyone. They will tear up the MACHA because its really a ACHA D1 team, so why are they getting rid of the ACHA D1 team?

Ill take your word for the years of play, I really thought once you start playing either ACHA or NCAA your clock starts. Except you get 5 years at ACHA. Maybe the difference is ACHA D1 and D2 because I know rules are different. Then why wouldnt NCAA teams have a farm system of sorts and have an ACHA team to develop players?

Ok so on to the NCAA D1 team. Honestly, how many ACHA D1 players will make this team? Maybe 1 or 2 I would think, but would not get any games played

Comment

Steve and ballgame

Some of the bloggers on other college hockey sites are wondering about the "fairness" of a D-I transfer coming to PSU, play on the club team, and then start up next year on the varsity with no problems. Other than the ACHA having a cow, I don't see where it's anyone's business. It's all within the rules.

Even Salem St. has a rising junior that played 1 year at an ACHA school, transferred in and still had 4 years of eligibility when he got there. So, who am I to complain.

Any thoughts / opinions?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

This still doesn’t make sense to me. I know at ACHA DII your clock starts once you play. You get 5 years in 5 years at ACHA DII, if you start NCAA and then transfer to ACHA DII you only get 4 years including whatever time you spent at NCAA. I’ve had plenty of NCAA DIII transfers at the school I coached.
                        The rules are different at ACHA DI.

Comment

I don't want to get into the fairness of the situation -- as you said Joe, it's within the ACHA rules.

Comment

darn I had a post that isn’t showing up.
                            anyway...
                            sorry wasn’t implying PSU is doing anything wrong. Just asking about the rules. As I’ve mentioned before I have a past player on the ACHA DI team that I fully support and want the best for

Comment

Steve whats the updates on the rink? When do they start on that?

Comment

Working...
                              X