Providence College Summer 2011: The Hockey Guy Adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence College Summer 2011: The Hockey Guy Adventures

I am not an expert on all of the arena's in college hockey but there have been improvement to Schneider over the past few years with more on the drawing board. All the seats have been replaced, the Friends of Friars room has been extensively re-done and I understand men's locker room improvements have been done.

The current plans are to build a 2 deck parking garage under Raymond Field with a soccer/lacrosse/track complex on top and a building at the Schneider end of the new complex connected to Schneider. The new building will lead to new coaching offices with glass overlooking the ice etc. This will provide double the parking next to Schneider, new coaces offices and other improvements I cannot detail at the moment.

Comment

Welcome aboard BostonFriar.
      What wasn't mentioned was that PC paid nothing for the renovations mentioned previously.

Thanks to Bill and Emily Leary, woman's hockey supporters, PC was able to renovate the FOFH Room and locker rooms. Also a former men's hockey player's parents donated the money for the new seats. Their son was screwed over a short time later.

I know that there are plans in the works for Schneider and a new LAX arena (yah) but until any work gets done then they are still just plans. As I said before Schneider Arena has a long way to go. Coaches offices overlooking the ice does nothing for anyone but the coach.
      There was supposed to be a class partition and expansion of the FOFH Room that was to have already happened but hasn't yet. At least that would have helped to draw fans and earn the programs money.

Hopefully Driscoll hires a quality coach and more attention is paid to the hockey programs moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by PC91 View Post
        Who said that PC wasn't going to go old school with this hire??? Leaman sounds JUST like Pitino to me!!!
        You know, that was the first thing I thought about too. That kind of about-face genuinely makes him look bad. Hopefully his coaching abilities are far better than his use of PR. lol.

I do think that Driscoll should be commended for looking at top tier coaching candidates. He's talked the talk for years and did nothing to warrant his 'hockey guy' rep. To give him his due I feel that he's finally woken up. The arena has a LONG way to go but I appreciate what Driscoll is trying to do during this round of coaching interviews.
        I completely agree with you. Not only that but from the very beginning I said PC needed to pursue guys with head coaching experience -- not roll the dice with another assistant coach -- and a couple of people thought I was crazy for even suggesting that. The fact they brought in several guys with head coaching experience, 2 of them current college head coaches, and all of them from "outside" the program, really shows to me that they did not want to tread over the same ground as the prior two hires. Kudos to Driscoll -- much like the basketball hire, I think he's done a much better job this time around in terms of the search process.
        Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 04-14-2011, 10:11 AM.

Comment

'91, you are correct about the funding - PC has spent essentially nothing on athletics facilities in probably 20 years. Everything that has been built was paid for by contributions except part of Concannon is funded by student fees.

BD has no control over what PC spends except that he participates in college capital planning. The funds raised were raised in general by Bob and his staff (Steve Nap). With the current capital projects including Alumni Hall PC is putting in "college" fund.

I never heard about an expansion of FOFH although there was a drawing showing some special seating published at one time. In any event the room is nice and if there were sufficient season ticket sales the room would be restricted to PC fans only. Right now the room is open to everyone.

I would be interested to know what posters here think the needs are for the building that would/could improve recruiting and/or player attractiveness.

Comment

I don't believe there is much that can be done with the arena other than maybe a video scoreboard. With the ceiling being as low as it is, that's probably not possible. Other than that I have to believe the arena is limited by it's size.

Comment

[QUOTE=BostonFriar;5120361
              I would be interested to know what posters here think the needs are for the building that would/could improve recruiting and/or player attractiveness.[/QUOTE]

Oh I love you already! I feel that this is the start of a wonderful friendship.

I have to run out right now but I'd love to share some of mine and hear from everyone else.

Comment

Oh I love you already! I feel that this is the start of a wonderful friendship.

I have to run out right now but I'd love to share some of mine and hear from everyone else.
                First Hoky(sic) and now this new guy...I think you may be a bit promiscuous, so much for being edgy!

Comment

What wasn't mentioned was that PC paid nothing for the renovations mentioned previously.
                  Let's be clear here that generally schools only spend money on renovations through donated funds. Even if a school takes the route of tax exempt bond financing, there is usually a plan for pay for the project through donations. The fact they have spent money, even donated money, to upgrade Schneider does show some level of commitment to the hockey program.

On the coaching front, I was wondering if it is Leaman, if we would see a Notre Dame scenario where Jackson brought Pooley back, whether Leaman would bring Bennett along.

Comment

On the coaching front, I was wondering if it is Leaman, if we would see a Notre Dame scenario where Jackson brought Pooley back, whether Leaman would bring Bennett along.
                    You wonder, though, with Bennett being mentioned for the UML job, if that's not the direction he's going in. Plus how much Bennett is going to get paid...if he's a high priced 2nd in command I can't see them forking over big dollars for a new coach and his "associate". You wonder if that may not be a factor also in who they hire -- what kind of staff they need.

Comment

I believe BD will spend the money tog et the right coach and staff. He knows he cannot strike out on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
                        You wonder, though, with Bennett being mentioned for the UML job, if that's not the direction he's going in. Plus how much Bennett is going to get paid...if he's a high priced 2nd in command I can't see them forking over big dollars for a new coach and his "associate". You wonder if that may not be a factor also in who they hire -- what kind of staff they need.
                        If Leaman comes remember the one job Bennett would have an inside track for would be open. I say he stays at Union as their new head coach

Whoever gets the job it will be key to who are the assistants. It seems pretty clear there will be a totally new staff. Beside the head guy being able to communicate and teach the 2 assistants are also going to need that skill. I would say one has to have some established recruiting base, the other from a pond he can take advantage of to fish in.

On the flip flop front maybe the situation changed. While there seems to be little wggle room and Donaldson put his name in the Projo blog before Schotts did. It could be very possible nothing was in the works at that point. I then wonder if 2 things happened to change events. First maybe Quinn in his Monday interview put forth what his demands were. He's in good position, he might in the future see opportunity up in Boston and more immediately somewhere in the 4 NHL openings. Just maybe that half mill a year might be his starting point for demands not Driscoll's offer. In turn though it might have opened Driscoll's eyes a bit that if he truly wants there is a price to pay. What had originally not gotten a sniff from Leaman had been raised sufficiently to draw him to Schneider.
                        Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by RealHockeyDad View Post
                          Did the Athletic Department not learn anything? Remember the last coach of the year that Hockey Guy hired? Keno...

Just say no!
                          Again a case of lumping something under one big tent. There is no comparision between Davis and Leaman. Davis was a first year coach who mae hay with a team his father, a venerable member of the coaching community put together. Leaman has 8 years of experience and this Union program is totally his work..
                          Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by F O F room fan View Post
                            I don't believe there is much that can be done with the arena other than maybe a video scoreboard. With the ceiling being as low as it is, that's probably not possible. Other than that I have to believe the arena is limited by it's size.
                            When Lou had Schneider designed 40 years ago it was done with the idea when money became available it would be expanded. The footings are set on the Admiral street side. One of the things that killed plans Timmy had hoped for was that there is cement filler on that side (why the floor won't hold the varnish or whatever it is on that side of the arena) and now 40 years later the cost to blow it out is prohibitive.

Still if you want to compte with the big boys you have to expand Schneider. So that means you better get your marketing department cranked up. Many of these kids from junior programs that put Schneider to shame in size and ammenities As I mentioned before mot of the Hockey Eat schools have expanded their seating capacity since our heyday with Lou in charge, we have not. We also do not command ticket prices that are commiserate with the rest of the league. Without that income we can not compete long run. Someone mentioned last summer Driscoll asked the season tickets at the gathering what they could do to help make this a better program in addiion to winning. Well the answer is commit to the program. Before people come you need to invest. That means a major overhaul of the arena. I'd say minimum you add 1500 seats and luxury boxes. You are really going to need to blow the roof off and put a balcony in to do this. On the player side Concannon center's existence be ****ned.....the other teams have their work out centers in their arrena, they need it there and just like the bball players have their player lounge so do the hockey players. We are not going to compete for the top local talent without matching what other schools have to offer.
                            Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Not sure we can expect a multi million $ investment in Schnieder. There are things to do but luxery boxes etc. might be more than could be expected. I always thought the hockey players had work out equipment in Schneider. The BB players do not have their own equipment. The FOFH room is, IMO a better facility/lounge than the BB players have - having seen both.

Can PC ever make a profit on hockey? Not sure many eastern teams make a profit. There are lots of things that could be done to make Schnieder a better place to enjoy a game including the entry, food facilities, parking etc. I do not think we will se an Aganis like facility.

Comment

http://www.friars.com/index-main.html[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                                X