Providence College Summer 2011: The Hockey Guy Adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence College Summer 2011: The Hockey Guy Adventures

I am pretty sure that is what they said when they hired Pooley..any others?

Comment

Leaman said he's not interested, so it looks like it's:

1. Quinn
      2. Cav

Either way, I think most of you would be pretty happy.

Comment

of those two i would think you guys are better off with Quinn. Cavanaugh seems like he is up for every opening in the world and never gets any of them. has to be a reason for that

Comment

Originally posted by 'MackFan View Post
          of those two i would think you guys are better off with Quinn. Cavanaugh seems like he is up for every opening in the world and never gets any of them. has to be a reason for that
          From what I remember, he was up for MC, NU and Ohio State. Dennehy and Cronin have taken their teams to the NCAA Tournament and Osiecki was always a more logical choice for OSU than Cavanagh. It's not like he's being passed over for chumps. The fact he keeps getting interviews tells me he's still highly thought of.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            Leaman said he's not interested
            From that article --

Leaman recently vehemently denied that he was interested in the Providence position or that he was interviewing, as he said last year when sources indicated he was discussing the Ohio State opening with Buckeyes officials. But sources indicate he was on campus today.

So either Leaman isn't telling the whole truth or PC's sources are flat out lying....can anyone find him so we know for sure? lol.

That article also says Pearl might be called in, so I wouldn't say it's entirely Quinn/Cavanagh for sure. They are clearly the frontrunners but this is the "interview week" it seems so nothing is a done deal.

Would not write Leaman off entirely just yet...PC is not just throwing his name out there unless there is some level of interest.
            Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 04-13-2011, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
              So either Leaman isn't telling the whole truth or PC's sources are flat out lying....can anyone find him so we know for sure? lol.

That article also says Pearl might be called in, so I wouldn't say it's entirely Quinn/Cavanagh for sure. They are clearly the frontrunners but this is the "interview week" it seems so nothing is a done deal.

Would not write Leaman off entirely just yet...PC is not just throwing his name out there unless there is some level of interest.
              He was in today. I'm hearing though there will be more interviews next week so maybe a decision by mid week.

I have not heard anything about the money in awhile so I don't know if the offer is realistic. Still if they are hot for Quinn and if he is a potential NHL guy you figure he's going to be a mid 300K minimum, maybe that is the stumbling block.

Two things though for that type of money whoeer gets the job is not going to get much of a honeymoon, they better get us to 5th or 6th place by second year. I'd also guess if the want result they will buy scholarships out to let him bring his guys in fairly quickly. If I was one of the candidates I would want some pretty firm guarantees they are going to make some major changes and faster then a 5 year time frame.
              Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

He was in today
                Maybe his present deal could be...adjusted?

You know it's really amazing to me how poorly coaches handle a denying-of-interest statement, during the off-season hire period.
                Simply say you haven't been contacted --if true-- and you aren't anticipating being involved in the vacant job search.
                If you are interested enough to talk, just say that the school initiated contact, you listened, no job has been offered but you may talk further in the next few days though you don't know if you'd accept if a job is offered.
                Last edited by D.Leo; 04-13-2011, 09:00 PM.

Comment

You know it's really amazing to me how poorly coaches handle a denying-of-interest statement, during the off-season hire period.
                  Simply say you haven't been contacted --if true-- and you aren't anticipating being involved in the vacant job search.
                  If you are interested enough to talk, just say that the school initiated contact, you listened, no job has been offered but you may talk further in the next few days though you don't know if you'd accept if a job is offered.
                  Excellent point. Leaman certainly isn't the first nor will he be the last to basically lie to the press, but there are ways to convey what's going on without saying it. Giving the kind of flat-out denial he did, when in fact the complete opposite is the truth, doesn't make him look particularly good.

Comment

STAY AWAY FROM LEAMAN. Please.
                    LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
                      Giving the kind of flat-out denial he did, when in fact the complete opposite is the truth, doesn't make him look particularly good.
                      PC just got rid of two coaches like that. Not sure that hiring another is the way to go. Quinn or Cav is a step in the right direction.

I do think that Driscoll should be commended for looking at top tier coaching candidates. He's talked the talk for years and did nothing to warrant his 'hockey guy' rep. To give him his due I feel that he's finally woken up. The arena has a LONG way to go but I appreciate what Driscoll is trying to do during this round of coaching interviews.

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
                        STAY AWAY FROM LEAMAN. Please.
                        PC is NOT even interested in him. He did NOT interview for the job. He will NOT take it if offered. He IS going to be back at Union next year!!!!! Just ask him, he'll tell you the same thing.

Comment

Different tune this time:

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...bout-head-coa/
                          Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                            If I didn't know any better I'd expect an announcement soon.

Who said that PC wasn't going to go old school with this hire??? Leaman sounds JUST like Pitino to me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                              Why didn't he say that the first time??

Comment

Did the Athletic Department not learn anything? Remember the last coach of the year that Hockey Guy hired? Keno...

Just say no!

Comment

Working...
                                X