Providence College Summer 2011: The Hockey Guy Adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence College Summer 2011: The Hockey Guy Adventures

Well written and yes we do need a media guru and you are elected !!!!!! Lets fill the seats

Originally posted by klumpmypants View Post
    In case you would not otherwise hear about it, here my story on the introduction of Nate at PC: http://unionhockeyblog.blogspot.com/...man-press.html

Not unrelated to its subject matter, the story was posted on the Union Hockey Blog.

Comment

Interesting article, though from a media angle, PC is going to have to generate their own press. I would not agree that competition has killed the Projo -- it's the sheer fact that print is dying, everywhere. Look at the circulation of papers all over the country. PC hockey would always have to fight with the big boys to get space in the paper, but with the reduction in staff, there's no way they'll ever get it again. They run college hockey columns at various times but night-after game stories? A thing of the past, and they're not coming back, unless PC wires in their own copy and they have enough space to run it. So the measure of success is going to be strictly winning and getting fans back to watch the program play.

Love this quote from the new coach --

"They've only won three games total after January 15 the past three years."

Glad to see I wasn't the only one paying attention to this stat
      Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 05-06-2011, 01:56 PM.

Comment

He has said all the right things and I hope Randy gets his son to come back.....I hope Tims son is getting along as well as we don't need any dumb roadblocks right away

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post

Comment

He has said all the right things
          But he's also been honest that the team he's inheriting isn't very good -- there are no illusions about the terrible record and what he's walking into, which is refreshing. It's going to take time before his own players get here, and anything positive that happens in the interim is basically going to be a bonus. Next year is going to be a real struggle judging by this roster, and I think his comments make it clear he's more than aware of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post

Like you, This guy is just too dang negative. PC with certainly get home ice this year.

Comment

[QUOTE=just a friend of hockey;5136428]Give the kids on the team a chance under a new coach.QUOTE]

We have always said the kids were giving all they had but they were not getting the best coaching which led to failure......the players have NEVER been dumped on in this or any other thread and to say they have is wrong

Comment

The Friars goaltending and defense will be solid next year. You have two returning goalies who both played well last year and six returning defensemen along with the two incoming freshman. The question is going to be offense as a majority of your top point getters graduated. However, I think Bergland and Jamnick have bounce back years...Schaller, Rooney and Army should all increase their point total. You hope some other guys can chip in along with the two incoming freshman forwards and Cross who missed most of last year. Also keep in mind, the Friars have 19 home games in 2011-12 including 8 of their first 10, which could lead to getting off to a solid start. 6 of those games are league games.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeLogan View Post
                  Friars have 19 home games in 2011-12 including 8 of their first 10, which could lead to getting off to a solid start. 6 of those games are league games.
                  So now its up to the student body and the fan base to give them a full building to play to......there is nothing better than a fan base to improve a teams morale

Comment

Originally posted by just a friend of hockey
                    Give the kids on the team a chance under a new coach. The way some of you talk why even play next year. The roster is bad, they are not the players he brought in. Remember the kids read this stuff give them a chance before you dump on them.
                    Then maybe the coach himself shouldn't have said this??

"I think there's some work to be done there with getting the right players"

"The program hasn't made the playoffs in three years."

"That's not great"

He knows -- as any rational fan knows -- that it's going to take time. To pretend otherwise isn't dumping on the kids who are here, but this is a rebuilding job pure and simple.
                    Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 05-08-2011, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
                      Then maybe the coach himself shouldn't have said this??

"I think there's some work to be done there with getting the right players"

"The program hasn't made the playoffs in three years."

"That's not great"

He knows -- as any rational fan knows -- that it's going to take time. To pretend otherwise isn't dumping on the kids who are here, but this is a rebuilding job pure and simple.
                      Pretty much.
                      Godspeed, Mr Leaman!

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                      -Blackadder
                      "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                      -Casablanca
                      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by MikeLogan View Post
                        The Friars goaltending and defense will be solid next year. You have two returning goalies who both played well last year and six returning defensemen along with the two incoming freshman. The question is going to be offense as a majority of your top point getters graduated. However, I think Bergland and Jamnick have bounce back years...Schaller, Rooney and Army should all increase their point total. You hope some other guys can chip in along with the two incoming freshman forwards and Cross who missed most of last year. Also keep in mind, the Friars have 19 home games in 2011-12 including 8 of their first 10, which could lead to getting off to a solid start. 6 of those games are league games.
                        Is the schedule out?
                        Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by PcFriars13 View Post
                          Is the schedule out?
                          Or at least any parts of it?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Or at least any parts of it?
                            give this a try. there are some dates listed in this national schedule.
                            https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...CK695cwJ#gid=0

Comment

Originally posted by steven22 View Post
                              give this a try. there are some dates listed in this national schedule.
                              https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...CK695cwJ#gid=0
                              I believe that's the national schedule that I'm putting together.

Comment

Second Assistant named yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X