Providence College Summer 2011: The Hockey Guy Adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence College Summer 2011: The Hockey Guy Adventures

Yes he did have reason to respect PC but what impressed me the most was he went out of his way to say something positive to someone he did not know and never met, me......that gesture did gain him some respect that I did not have for him after the NCAA infractions and I will always remember him for that courtesy
    He did the same thing to my mom as well in Albany -- I believe it was the year of the 6-hour St. Lawrence-BU game when Maine's second game was pushed back to a 7:30 start. She was out in the lobby with her PC pin on, and Walsh smiled and said something about how hard PC had played Maine over the years. She was impressed!

Comment

Originally posted by BostonFriar View Post
      My family and I were at that Maine NCAA series and most people thought (and a few players said0 McShane puled the playersw off the forcheck and tried to sit on the lead and then Maine got the momentum and the rest is history. Bennett played hurt in that game (knee) and from my point of view it has been downhill for PC ever since.
      No real way to counter that. Like I said, this program has in one way or another been forever haunted by how close they came that series. Certainly on a national scale, they've never recovered from it.

Comment

Press conference at 3:30 p.m. today. Anyone going?

Comment

I am there now. It amazed me to see all of the satillite trucks out there, CBS,NBC,ABC, ESPN, NESN, BBC AL Jezera, HK, KBBL. Then when I walked into the room I was amazed, the first face I saw was Chris Berman doing a live cut in on ESPN. I saw Tom Brokaw, Katie Curic, Meredith Viera, and others all in the front row. As Leahman walked in they rose en mas and cheered with a standing o. It was moving. Check out the video on youtube!
          Providence College
          National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Comment

From today's Projo:

Leaman said that he received a call last week from New Jersey Devils president and general manager Lou Lamoriello, the builder of the PC hockey program in the late 1960s and 70s. The two chatted for 15 minutes and Lamoriello offered to do all he can to help, Leaman said.

Leaman also said that he has reached out to the father of Alex Velischek, a highly touted recruit who left the team in December to play in the United States Hockey League, about a possible return to PC. Randy Velischek, Alex's dad, is one of the school's all-time best players.

Comment

• On a very sad note... Our dear friend Kay passed away. Kay is the wife of our favorite Eagle. Please keep her in your prayers as well as her family. I was without a phone so I just got the message minutes ago. I know that the dear woman was sick but my heart is broken for our friend and their family.
              She was a class act and let me date her husband on many nights for hockey games.

Comment

91, from his accounts she fought a good tough fight. Sorry for his and your loss.
                Providence College
                National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Comment

Watched the press conference online. All the right things were said by Driscoll, Father Shanley and Leaman. Loved to hear that the work ($) on improving the arena has been approved and will actually happen, and from the Projo piece, Leaman has already reached out to Velischek about coming back. It was a good day to be a Friar.
                  Last edited by chrisP; 05-04-2011, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Netman View Post
                    91, from his accounts she fought a good tough fight. Sorry for his and your loss.
                    I agree with you. From what I could tell from talking to him, she was a trooper. I found her to be VERY lovely with a touch of wise acre. She was so special, she will be missed especially by her family and he's a great friend so my heart is busted up over it.

The Pro was kind enough to call and let me know that she had passed but I had just gotten a replacement phone yesterday afternoon after destroying my Thunderbolt almost a week before so I missed the initial call.
                    Just a reminder to all that 3G or 4G doesn't really matter if your phone slides off your car roof on Tremont Street in Boston and gets run over numerous times. The reception has a tendency to be poorer afterward. The Thunderbolt fought the good fight but it was no match for the DPW trucks and BFI Garbage trucks. My smart phone's face looked like a Tiffany's crystal creation.
                    Anyway, please keep their family in your prayers. I promise not to wear the purple pants again if you do me this honor.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisP View Post
                      Watched the press conference online. All the right things were said by Driscoll, Father Shanley and Leaman. Loved to hear that the work ($) on improving the arena as been approved and will actually happen, and from the Projo piece, Leaman has already reached out to Velischek about coming back. It was a good day to be a Friar.
                      I like all of this. Especially reaching out to the Velischek family.

Comment

The fact that Lou is expressing some interest in the program now after, seemingly, quite a while where he seemingly had no interest in it is nothing but a good, positive thing both for Leaman and the program.

I think this was a good move for PC and for Leaman as well. He is basically -- in addition to coming to a good school that's in Hockey East -- coming into a job with no pressure at all. I realize we're all hoping he returns PC to some stature but the reality is that all he needs to do is at least get PC back to some stable level and it's going to be a success based on how far they've fallen. I wish him nothing but the best.
                        Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 05-04-2011, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Everything sounds positive I hope it stays that way.....having Lou aboard is great but why was he not there before???

Comment

Originally posted by satyking View Post
                            Everything sounds positive I hope it stays that way.....having Lou aboard is great but why was he not there before???
                            Who knows. I ran into him in Buffalo during the Frozen Four and I asked him that, and he just laughed and said he had too many other things to worry about. The fact he was here for the banquet, and also that he talked with Leaman is a good sign -- whether the school reached out to him or vice versa is anyone's guess. Was he consulted like Tranghese was as a part of the search process? Maybe someone here has a better handle on that part of the story.

Comment

Very nice interview by Mike Logan with the new coach. Check it out:

http://www.gofriars.cox-sports.com/

Comment

In case you would not otherwise hear about it, here my story on the introduction of Nate at PC: http://unionhockeyblog.blogspot.com/...man-press.html

Not unrelated to its subject matter, the story was posted on the Union Hockey Blog.

Comment

Working...
                                X