Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence College Summer 2011: The Hockey Guy Adventures

Originally posted by PC91 View Post
    Since this has become the Maine thread I wanted to ask you if you feel, as I do, that Pats Pizza is over rated and only appeals because it's close to the only show in town.
    after they replaced their ovens the pizza was never the same... Still the best up there, especially after napolis closed down

Comment

Since this has become the Maine thread I wanted to ask you if you feel, as I do, that Pats Pizza is over rated and only appeals because it's close to the only show in town.
      Bite your tongue. Pat's is delicious...but when I was younger we'd usually stop at Dysarts for food before the game because there's a Pat's in my hometown. Best pizza in Maine has to be Pizza by Alex in Biddeford though.
      Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

I do believe the taste buds in Maine died many generations ago.....Pats is cardboard covered in catsup

Originally posted by PcFriars13 View Post
        Bite your tongue. Pat's is delicious...but when I was younger we'd usually stop at Dysarts for food before the game because there's a Pat's in my hometown. Best pizza in Maine has to be Pizza by Alex in Biddeford though.

Comment

Yup, it is the off season. I like DHOP for pizza.
          Providence College
          National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Comment

I once heard Walsh say that UMaine's biggest rival (meaning his) in the league was PC. Now that didn't make a lot of sense given his feelings toward BU --and others-- but he said it.

The only thing I can think of was he might not got over that Chris Terreri stoned a heavily favored Spartan team out there in the NCAA Semi's. Mason was his former boss and future father in-law.

Comment

I was a freshman at Maine in 1986 and attended every home game that season. No one could motivate a team the way Shawn Walsh could in his time in Orono. That year was the first year that Maine ever went to the NCAA's and time and time again they rallied to win games in the third period. They had one of the greatest comebacks in college hockey that I've seen in person in the semi's of the HE tourney that year. They trailed Lowell 4-2 at the Garden with about 7 minutes to play and rallied for 3 goals to win it. He certainly had his issues while at Orono but for me he is probably the best game coach I have seen in 25 years of following college hockey

Comment

I was in Albany wearing my PC jersey and Walsh went out of his way to tell me PC was the one team he feared because you never knew what team would show up.....they always played to the level of their opponent.......he did twist the system and paid the price

Comment

• Originally posted by satyking View Post
                  I was in Albany wearing my PC jersey and Walsh went out of his way to tell me PC was the one team he feared because you never knew what team would show up.....they always played to the level of their opponent.......he did twist the system and paid the price
                  It's funny that over the years and with several coaches that PC teams have indeed played to the level of the competition.

Comment

Mark Fayne updae...

http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/261/IHM2610USA_33_1_0.pdf

Comment

Depends how much beer you have.
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Grab a beer and some zingers at Pat's, then head across the street to Lissus for your main pizza course.

Comment

Walsh had reason to respect PC for the 1989 NCAA Quarterfinal series in which PC played Maine unbelievably hard and lost an utter heartbreaker in Orono, back when that round was at campus sites. (PC won the first game 8-6, lost a tough game 3-2 the next night, and then the utter killer, 4-3 in 2ot, in game 3). It was real tough because the Friars were often the better team that weekend but Maine, as they often did back in those days, found a way to win and it certainly helped that they were on their home ice.

That series has truly haunted PC ever since, as it was the last time the Friars truly had legitimate success on a national level (they had beaten Northern Michigan the weekend before to get there) and also the last time they came close to making the Frozen Four.

A goal short that seems like a lifetime ago...
                          Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 05-01-2011, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Free Webcast for Tuesday's Leaman Press conference.

http://www.friars.com/sports/m-hocke...050111aaa.html

Comment

Yes he did have reason to respect PC but what impressed me the most was he went out of his way to say something positive to someone he did not know and never met, me......that gesture did gain him some respect that I did not have for him after the NCAA infractions and I will always remember him for that courtesy

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
                              Walsh had reason to respect PC for the 1989 NCAA Quarterfinal series in which PC played Maine unbelievably hard and lost an utter heartbreaker in Orono, back when that round was at campus sites. (PC won the first game 8-6, lost a tough game 3-2 the next night, and then the utter killer, 4-3 in 2ot, in game 3). It was real tough because the Friars were often the better team that weekend but Maine, as they often did back in those days, found a way to win and it certainly helped that they were on their home ice.

That series has truly haunted PC ever since, as it was the last time the Friars truly had legitimate success on a national level (they had beaten Northern Michigan the weekend before to get there) and also the last time they came close to making the Frozen Four.

A goal short that seems like a lifetime ago...

Comment

My family and I were at that Maine NCAA series and most people thought (and a few players said0 McShane puled the playersw off the forcheck and tried to sit on the lead and then Maine got the momentum and the rest is history. Bennett played hurt in that game (knee) and from my point of view it has been downhill for PC ever since.

Comment

Working...
                                X