Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence College Summer 2011: The Hockey Guy Adventures

Originally posted by klumpmypants View Post
    For the record, I have offered to cover the combination of PC and Brown hockey for the Projo as a freelancer asking virtually no pay. I have done it more than once and repeatedly been turned down. They just do not care.
    Maybe it has something to do with the klump in your pants.
    Leaving a bad taste in the room during the interview process may be killing you.
    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Nice article on Nate Leaman from the Projo:

http://www.projo.com/pc/content/Divv...v2.8eec34.html

Comment

Thanks for the link Mike. It's nice to hear the coach's initial take. So Devin Rask has moved on and the future of David Berard is up in the air. The rebuilding is about to begin.

Comment

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
          Thanks for the link Mike. It's nice to hear the coach's initial take. So Devin Rask has moved on and the future of David Berard is up in the air. The rebuilding is about to begin.
          Great coaching pick up. Look for big things to come.

Comment

"And so he left a big impression on me.”
            -----------
            I have no idea who the writer was but he did a better than average job. And yes Walsh left an impression on me too. Sometime it wasn't a good impression.

a freelancer asking virtually no pay.
            There are union rules.
            The future of newspapers --what little is left-- is going to be more freelance friendly or their survival won't be lasting too long.
            The projo is in a hyper-local mode right now. It's about putting suburban kid's photos and copy in the paper. As I've said before you have to provide your own coverage.
            Last edited by D.Leo; 04-28-2011, 08:35 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=D.Leo;5131096]"And so he left a big impression on me.”
              -----------
              I have no idea who the writer was but he did a better than average job. And yes Walsh left an impression on me to. Sometime it wasn't a good impression.

Walsh was the man.....

Just because Jack Parker was jealous of him doesnt make him a bad guy. His players loved and respected him and thats what matters. Paul Kariya sent both his brothers and his sister to U Maine, one of the most stand up guys in hockey ever. If he respected him, so can I

Hockey East lost a great one when he passed.

Comment

t make him a bad guy.
                I say good things about him and I wish he was still around (and alive). He just had some unbelievable explanations about certain controversies with the NCAA. The marital problems with Mason's (MSU) daughter, Noni Daly resigning from HE in support of him... the guy was controversial.

I'd say his team with the Ferarro bros, Imes, Thyer, (others) and superstar Paul Kariya was the quickest I've ever seen

Comment

Shawn Walsh was always friendly with my wife and I whenever we saw him around various rinks. He worked really hard and his teams played great hockey. We were at Bright one night watching the world U18 champinships and UMaine was in Anaheim playing a holiday tournament. About 10PM in walks Shawn to look at players having just arrived in Boston and having sent his team on to Orono. He recognized us from PC games and made an effort to say hello after spotting us in the crowd.

Really hard working guy - regardless of all the true and false criticism we all face.

Comment

He got divorced, who cares.
                    He was the best X's and O's guy the league has had in many years, if not ever. Taking nothing from JP or JY but send them to Orono in 1984 and see the results.

If you get bored, watch this video and the other 9 parts. An hour total. You tell me if you wouldnt want him coaching your kid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74jQlG_nTDI

Nice to see an F on the PP point...
                    Last edited by Hokydad; 04-29-2011, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Seems like folks have forgotten, or are sweeping aside, the dark side of Walsh's career as the years have passed.

Walsh's legacy is close to Jekyll & Hyde. I met him a couple of times and found him unbelievably charismatic and seemingly genuine as a lot of folks will attest. I have no doubt he was phenomenal for his players, loved the school and had a passion for the game. And he was a terrific coach from a strategic standpoint.

On the other hand, history shows you he likely didn't win by doing it "the right way" either -- definitely not the first time at least. His personal problems and NCAA infractions -- and they weren't minor -- are well-documented and are a part of his legacy as much as his winning. You can't mention one without the other, and one could argue the way he built Maine's program from the ground up probably wasn't all "on the level" either.

Walsh was a complicated guy with some demons. Even the UMaine president mentioned the "low points" of his "personal and professional" life upon his passing -- it was a part of who he was, for better or worse. But you don't vacate wins, serve a year long suspension, and have your program barred from the post-season for two years for doing nothing either.
                      Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 04-29-2011, 09:52 AM.

Comment

true

Comment

true
                          I should add though that I think there are plenty of things about Walsh that are worth looking up to...just not everything, obviously.

Comment

Since this has become the Maine thread I wanted to ask you if you feel, as I do, that Pats Pizza is over rated and only appeals because it's close to the only show in town.

Comment

I do have a favorite sushi place up there but I won't name it because I hate waiting in lines.

Comment

Originally posted by PC91 View Post
                                Since this has become the Maine thread I wanted to ask you if you feel, as I do, that Pats Pizza is over rated and only appeals because it's close to the only show in town.
                                I tend to agree. It's very good, but it's far from the best pizza I've ever had or anything like that. My two favorite places to stop on road trips are Antonio's in Amherst and Wildcat Pizza in Durham.
                                Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Working...
                                X