Providence College Summer 2011: The Hockey Guy Adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence College Summer 2011: The Hockey Guy Adventures

How much can PC pay for their HC? From the outside looking in I feel that PC doesn't give a crap about their hockey program as they pour ever dollar into basketball. Schneider is a dump and you guys must have the lowest attendance in Hockey East.
    Let's go Lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by Gainzo View Post
      How much can PC pay for their HC? From the outside looking in I feel that PC doesn't give a crap about their hockey program as they pour ever dollar into basketball. Schneider is a dump and you guys must have the lowest attendance in Hockey East.
      Well, not to be rude, but if you've paid attention to who they're interested in and how long this has taken, it tells me they absolutely do care. Also, having the worst attendance when you've been as bad as PC has been is irrelevant. Much like Merrimack--win and they will come.

Comment

College Hockey News is reporting that Union's Nate Leaman is negotiating with Providence over head coaching job.

Comment

Originally posted by Friar21 View Post
          College Hockey News is reporting that Union's Nate Leaman is negotiating with Providence over head coaching job.
          Looks like that actually comes from the Providence Journal ... http://sportsblog.projo.com/

Comment

Yea was just about to post that. Don't know how accurate the report is though from what CHN is also saying.

Comment

Leaman would be first Spencer Penrose winner to switch schools since Crowder left UML for NU in '96.
              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Here's the story...if this is true we ought to be hearing something sooner than later, as in this week I'd imagine!

http://sportsblog.projo.com/2011/04/...-appear-t.html

Friars appear to be leaning toward Leaman
                Jim Donaldson

Providence College has narrowed the search for its next hockey coach, with Nate Leaman of Union College appearing to be the front-runner over Cranston's David Quinn, the coach of Lake Erie of the American Hockey League.

Negotiations are believed to be ongoing with Leaman, who, despite having no scholarships, led Union to a school-record 26 wins this season, a No. 5 national ranking, first place in the ECAC regular season standings with a 14-1-1 conference mark, and the college's first NCAA tourney berth.

The Dutchmen did not fare well in the postseason, however.

They were upset in the quarterfinals of the ECAC tournament, losing two out of three on home ice to Colgate, and then were beaten in opening round of the NCAA tournament by Minnesota-Duluth, the eventual national champion, 2-0.

Despite that disappointing finish, Leaman was voted national Coach of the Year by the American Hockey Coaches Association.

Twice the team captain when he played for SUNY-Cortland, where he graduated in 1997, Leaman has been head coach at Union for eight years, compiling a record of 138-127-35.
                Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 04-20-2011, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
                  I'd believe it...this story comes from the Projo, and CHN was also right about Army being done as well. So much for Leaman not being interested
                  [/B]
                  I believed it 24 hours ago when I said it!
                  Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                    I believed it 24 hours ago when I said it!
                    Haha, yes, you are right -- CAV is the winner (and not Mike Cavanagh, clearly lol!).

I always felt right from the start that PC should go after a current coach. The Penrose winner will do nicely, thank you very much

Comment

Reports are now that both Leaman and Quinn have been offered the job. Cavanaugh is definitely out. As everyone said before if we don't hear by the end of this week, then it most likely going to be Quinn.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
                        Haha, yes, you are right -- CAV is the winner (and not Mike Cavanagh, clearly lol!).

I always felt right from the start that PC should go after a current coach. The Penrose winner will do nicely, thank you very much
                        Someone asked how much money PC had to spend on a coach. I guess the answer is enough to put out the fire in Driscoll's office.

Since Bennett was removed from the mix and it became clear as you note experience had to come with the money you were spending I thought Leaman was the best choice.
                        Now the next interesting piece will be the coaching staff. Hearing some interesting things but I'll let them start to play out first (actually I let these negotiations finish in case our car salesman fails to close the deal)
                        Still this looks like Ricky's best course to getting the head job. He wasn't in the mix here, really was not a finalist at UML, looks like PSU is reaching higher then for Dennehy so Merrimack won't open. Clarkson probably looks for experience too--So best of luck to Ricky also.

Now the hard part---remember PC doesn't care if they win as long as they are "most respected". Happiness at PC is doing well enough to get to the playoffs and be hot when they begin and just maybe you go somewhere--see this past year's soccer team. Middle of the pack till playoffs then they ran off a nice steak to get to the NCAA's. I've said it over and over if Leamsn's qualilties are that he can find the undervalued underrecruited player and get max effort from them and if he can communicate and teach unlike the last 2 and not be as anal retentive and delegate responsibility to his assistants we will improve. However without a major investment beyond in the coaching and we are not truly going to compete with the big boys of Hockey East.

As for Cavanagh yeah I'd say he was the big loser, not much of a sniff from UML on top of the previous misses including on the Brown job and basically eliminated early from conention here.
                        Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by Friar21 View Post
                          Reports are now that both Leaman and Quinn have been offered the job. Cavanaugh is definitely out. As everyone said before if we don't hear by the end of this week, then it most likely going to be Quinn.
                          How can both be offered the job? What are they going to do if both accept? This is really a can't lose as both are great candidates and it is most likely Quinn if it keeps dragging on. Did they offer both though in case Quinn got offered another job as has been rumored and doesn't take the PC job?
                          GO BU

Comment

A dump
                            It's not that bad for a facility that's been around for 2-generations now.

When I said I didn't think he'd take it if offered, I wasn't considering what's going to be available in the next year in terms of jobs and what he's got returning at Union. If those considerations were good for him, I wouldn't take this job and would be patient for something else.

However, I know Lou just signed his G --not sure if he had any elig. left-- and I think he lost a top F too. So maybe he's got a lot of rebuilding to do and that might not look as good on what now is a stellar resume. And he's lived in NE and feels he'd be comfortable enough to make the move.
                            I don't think they'd announce on a Friday so we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by D.Leo View Post
                              I don't think they'd announce on a Friday so we'll see.
                              Maybe the reason for the delay beside negotiations...Catholic colleges observe Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter so Driscoll has lots of people praying for him
                              Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Did they offer both
                                Most AD's would ask the Agent or coach 'if I would offer you the job would you accept?'
                                That wouldn't be offering it to both coaches. And he'd give them a time frame.
                                As long as he was honest with Quinn and told him he was interested in two other possibilities I don't see where he'd have a complaint about it unless he told him he was the top pick.

Comment

Working...
                                X