Providence College Summer 2011: The Hockey Guy Adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence College Summer 2011: The Hockey Guy Adventures

The coach Lowell hired is not even on the PC radar or in the pay range PC will pay. If Quinn is the guy the announcement cannot be made until his team is finished playing. Now if we hire a coach who is not better than UML that would be a problem but I doubt that will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonFriar View Post
      The coach Lowell hired is not even on the PC radar or in the pay range PC will pay. If Quinn is the guy the announcement cannot be made until his team is finished playing. Now if we hire a coach who is not better than UML that would be a problem but I doubt that will happen.
      I agree with what you said but the reality is the process for Lowell is much longer since it is a state position, so there are advertising requirements and the such...This should have been done earlier and Quinn could finish his job while being announced, not a huge deal

Comment

Quinn is tthe guy, he reportedly wants to come home and be colse to his mom. Hopefully the announcement will come soon
        Originally posted by BostonFriar View Post

Comment

Originally posted by F O F room fan View Post
          Quinn is tthe guy, he reportedly wants to come home and be colse to his mom. Hopefully the announcement will come soon
          I'm hearing it is going to be Nate Leaman. Same source that told me this from my 4/7 post

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
          More and More sources have Bennett not among the leaders. Maybe the best way to get Bennett his HC job is for Leaman to move and PC has some money based on what Army got and the Big East welfare check. You might be right again have nothing dialed in directly to UML but I used the term bag job before and the hint is that it will be Bazin from info from down here meaning Bennett isn't getting that job. Thus if Leaman taks the PC job he is doing Ricky a favor
          Sounds like Leaman's small school background and rebuilding effort are his pluses.
          Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

So is it down to Leaman and Quinn?

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              So is it down to Leaman and Quinn?
              Heard that Lou might want to come back.

Comment

Originally posted by RealHockeyDad View Post
                This should have been done earlier and Quinn could finish his job while being announced, not a huge deal
                I think everyone is getting a bit antsy. They interviewed last week and said the announcement would come this week. I also agree that they'll announce Quinn whenever they want to as it's really not a conflict of interest.

It's going to be Quinn or Cavanaugh, I still think it's going to be Cav. Although not as heralded, my sources told me he did a bang up job during the interview. Word is Cav was organized, passionate about the job, and expressed belief that PC could compete for players (referencing Carpenter, Fitzy, Gill, Hulbig, etc). Say what you want about where it's been done, but no one at the D1 level has done a better, more consistent, recruiting job than Mike Cavanaugh in the last 15 years. The key to winning in HockeyEast is getting the players and he has shown his ability to do just that. If you want to argue that it was done at BC, great, but don't go supporting a Leaman hire, because he hasn't even dipped his toe in the HE recruiting battles.

That being said, either Quinn or Cav have shown their ability to successfully recruit players in HockeyEast, so either one would be a good pick. We will see.....

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post

It's going to be Quinn or Cavanaugh, I still think it's going to be Cav. Although not as heralded, my sources told me he did a bang up job during the interview. Word is Cav was organized, passionate about the job....
                  Funny, I heard from a few sources that Cavanaugh did not have a good interview. We'll see.......

Comment

Not a question of conflict of interest but rather you would not want to tell any players to play hard and win it all but oh by the way, I am actually gone. Plus, he is under contract so his current contract will prevail regarding what can and cannot be said and when.

Comment

My gut feeling FWIW is that it's going to be Quinn. If it's going to be Leaman or Cavanagh, the announcement ought to be soon (if not immediate). If it drags on through this week and into next the only explanation you can think of is that Quinn's current responsibilities are taking precedence (naturally). That would be the only thing holding it up now that the interviewing is seemingly over.

I've heard a lot of things from different sources as well...I think Quinn makes a lot of sense for him and the school. He has the Hockey East (assistant) coaching and recruiting experience that Leaman doesn't, he's from RI, it seems as if he wants to come home, he isn't that far removed from the college game like Army was...I take all the sources with a grain of salt and this is just a hunch but if there isn't an announcement in the immediate future I think he's the next coach at PC.

I honestly don't see an announcement coming right in the middle of Quinn's AHL current series (they're up 2 games to 1 over Manitoba)...whether it's a conflict of interest or not, I'd expect that PC will wait until their season has concluded, which could be this weekend if they lose -- if they don't, we'll definitely know it's not going to be anyone else because it'll be weeks if they keep advancing!
                      Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 04-20-2011, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
                        My gut feeling FWIW is that it's going to be Quinn. If it's going to be Leaman or Cavanagh, the announcement ought to be soon (if not immediate). If it drags on through this week and into next the only explanation you can think of is that Quinn's current responsibilities are taking precedence (naturally). That would be the only thing holding it up now that the interviewing is seemingly over.

I've heard a lot of things from different sources as well...I think Quinn makes a lot of sense for him and the school. He has the Hockey East (assistant) coaching and recruiting experience that Leaman doesn't, he's from RI, it seems as if he wants to come home, he isn't that far removed from the college game like Army was...I take all the sources with a grain of salt and this is just a hunch but if there isn't an announcement in the immediate future I think he's the next coach at PC.

I honestly don't see an announcement coming right in the middle of Quinn's AHL current series (they're up 2 games to 1 over Manitoba)...whether it's a conflict of interest or not, I'd expect that PC will wait until their season has concluded, which could be this weekend if they lose -- if they don't, we'll definitely know it's not going to be anyone else because it'll be weeks if they keep advancing!
                        Imagine if my solid gold source is correct and Quinn has the job but also is in the running for an NHL job as well. That would be weird, huh??? Another reason why there is no announcement and all.... BTW my source is never wrong and WAY better then the crappy most of you are spreading. PS I rock and you all suck!!!! PPS Over served on bad ice in the Keys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisP View Post
                          Funny, I heard from a few sources that Cavanaugh did not have a good interview. We'll see.......
                          This is true, within context.
                          Originally posted by mookie1995
                          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

experience that Leaman doesn't, he's from RI
                            Leaman is overqualified. He lived in the area-- Cambridge-- for years and broke in at HE/Maine under the legendary --for better/worse-- Shawn Walsh. What he did at Union was remarkable.

To me it's just a matter of where he wants to live. I have no idea what his family considerations might be? I don't think he'd take the job if offered unless he was $$$-overwhelmed and that's not happening. It was in his best interest to interview but I think that's all it was going to be. I think they're waiting for Quinn.

Comment

Originally posted by PC91 View Post
                              Imagine if my solid gold source is correct and Quinn has the job but also is in the running for an NHL job as well. That would be weird, huh??? Another reason why there is no announcement and all.... BTW my source is never wrong and WAY better then the crappy most of you are spreading. PS I rock and you all suck!!!! PPS Over served on bad ice in the Keys!!!
                              LOL enjoying your stay there? Oh and I agree. Have a few cold ones for those of us sitting in the fog (and 50s)!

Comment

Leaman is overqualified. He lived in the area-- Cambridge-- for years and broke in at HE/Maine under the legendary --for better/worse-- Shawn Walsh. What he did at Union was remarkable.
                                I never said Leaman wasn't qualified -- I was just saying why I think Quinn would likely be PC's choice. (Yet I realize Leaman is doing it as a head coach at a current program...which is a plus in his favor).

I also wouldn't say Cambridge is this area, but anyhow...listen what he's done at Union is impressive, I agree. On the flip side, as I've said before, winning in the ECAC and Hockey East are two distinctly different animals. Winning 25-30 games but playing nobody, then losing in the first round of the ECAC playoffs to a bad Colgate team and a quick 1st round exit in the NCAAs (yes I do realize it was the eventual national champion) -- to me that is not mind-blowing. Recruiting and winning, and playing a much more taxing schedule, in Hockey East is something he may well do eventually, and possibly even here, but I don't think saying that "doing at Union and doing it at ____" are necessarily one and the same. It's a different set of challenges he's going to have to go through and he'll have to prove himself in a conference other than the ECAC, which has had no track record of national success in many, many years.

I have no doubt the guy is a good, capable coach but IMO he doesn't walk on water either....at least not yet (He would if he wins here though!!).
                                Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 04-20-2011, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X