Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence College Summer 2011: The Hockey Guy Adventures

Originally posted by BostonFriar View Post
    Can PC ever make a profit on hockey? Not sure many eastern teams make a profit. There are lots of things that could be done to make Schnieder a better place to enjoy a game including the entry, food facilities, parking etc. I do not think we will se an Aganis like facility.
    http://dl.dropbo*****/u/91309/Schools.pdf

6 of the 10 Hockey East schools turn a profit, the rest seem to break even

Comment

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
      http://dl.dropbo*****/u/91309/Schools.pdf

6 of the 10 Hockey East schools turn a profit, the rest seem to break even
      Interesting. What is the source of this info?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
        Interesting. What is the source of this info?
        Ope.Ed.gov/athletics I previously condensed the info to just hockey.
        Originally posted by SCSU Euro
        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Congrats to Mark Fayne.

Comment

Since Nate's only about 8 months into his present deal, now might be a awkward time to rewrite some things. Like a bonus for COY awards (if he doesn't have one).

There are several reasons why I don't think this will happen. But who knows, he and his agent could be examining a number of factors including what they think will open up -job wise- in the short-term? He loses nothing by talking even if he intends to remain.

Comment

There is a story on Friars.com about the 2011 awards. While I haven't been to the year end banquet in awhile, I don't remember hearing the team awards had been named in honor former Friars:

Kyle MacKinnon and Matt Germain: Lou Lamoriello Most Valuable Player Award
              Chris Rooney: Thomas Eccleston Jr. Unsung Hero Award
              Eric Baier: Ron Wilson Best Defensive Player Award
              Derek Army: Rev. Herman Schneider Most Valuable Freshman Award
              Ian O'Connor: Gates Orlando Award for most points and the Mike Boback Award for most assists
              Kyle MacKinnon: Rob Gaudreau Award for most goals
              Matt Germain: Jay Leach Plus/Minus Award
              Andy Balysky: John Ferguson Team Academic Award

Anyone know how award names were determined?

Comment

It was reported that Lou was there and spoke and also that Tim Army was there.

Comment

It was reported that Lou was there and spoke and also that Tim Army was there.
                  Talk about a weird situation...

Comment

Well, Tim's son was there and received an award but also I can see Tim staying with PC as it were but I heard it was an uncomfortable scene to some extent.

Comment

I can imagine. I don't envy Derek right now at all.
                      Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Well, Tim's son was there and received an award but also I can see Tim staying with PC as it were but I heard it was an uncomfortable scene to some extent.
                        Bet it was quite uncomfortable...

Comment

Please all read Adam Wodon's piece on CHN. I know most everyone here thinks Tim Army was trying to ruin the program, but I hope civility comes through and people realize he was a bad coach, but a bad coach who did a lot for the school and who wanted to succeed. Far too often people forget that there are families behind these coaching situations and for the most part, coaches invest their whole life in trying to succeed. Ashame Tim couldn't do a better job at his alma mater.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                            I know most everyone here thinks Tim Army was trying to ruin the program,
                            That's just absurd. I think most PC fans recognize that Army had the best of intentions -- he was just a bad coach. Nothing personal, it's all based on the record. Do you seriously believe that there are fans who think he was genuinely trying to "ruin the program"?

It is an interesting article though...lots of comments, and a few excuses, about not being able to recruit, getting bad goaltending, losing close games, but also how he hopes next year's team wins because his "handprints are all over it." I also found his admission that one of the teams "got tired" to be telling, because nearly every team he coached utterly collapsed once you hit the middle of January.

Sounds very much like Army was away from the game so long, the game he played in had changed so much he himself couldn't adapt to it IMO.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ts_on_past.php
                            Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 04-15-2011, 04:12 PM.

Comment

"ruin the program"
                              ------
                              Hyperbole.
                              Charlie Weiss was in the same situation at nd, "irishfan". You get your kick at the can and it works or it doesn't. We all hoped for the former.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                                Please all read Adam Wodon's piece on CHN. I know most everyone here thinks Tim Army was trying to ruin the program, but I hope civility comes through and people realize he was a bad coach, but a bad coach who did a lot for the school and who wanted to succeed. Far too often people forget that there are families behind these coaching situations and for the most part, coaches invest their whole life in trying to succeed. Ashame Tim couldn't do a better job at his alma mater.
                                In fact, almost everyone here was in favor of Tim's hiring as coach, PC91 excepted and maybe a fellow from Maine. What became evident, however that it was not working. Instead of seeing progress over six years, the program deteriorated. I do not think any one of us here thought he was out to ruin the program. We just were not happy with the direction it took. We all have our niche and I do hope Tim finds his. Perhaps a Stanley Cup might be in the future somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X