X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence College Summer 2011: The Hockey Guy Adventures

Originally posted by BostonFriar View Post
    Berard was a goalie at PC.
    And Brooks the rink manager was a goalie for the Bruins......we need recruiters of shooters.....no problem keeping them out just can't put 'em in

Comment

FYI, Received this email. For those in the Boston/Provy area, might be fun to attend and welcome the new coach.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calling All Friars:

Please join us on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 to welcome the new men's ice hockey coach, Nate Leaman, to Providence College.

This is not a fundraiser. As a matter of fact, the owners of the Black Rose and PC graduates, Neil and Michael Glynn have offered the location and have also offered to provide beer, wine and appetizers at no charge. This is not the first time the Glynn's have gone out of their way to support PC. If you see them on the 15th of June please thank them for their continued support.

We were all lucky to have had the opportunity to be involved with PC Hockey. We have great memories of our days at Schneider Arena and the tremendous friendships that were built on the ice and in the locker room at PC. Let's show our support for the program by filling the room and welcoming Nate to PC!

To Ian O'Connor and the Class of 2010, congratulations, thank you and welcome to the Alumni game.

We are missing a number of e-mail addresses. With that said, please forward the attached invitation to your teammates and classmates in the Boston area.

Date: June 15, 2011

Where: Black Rose - 160 State Street, Boston, MA

Time: 6:00PM - 8:00PM

John E. Butterworth | Senior Vice President/Partner
      CB Richard Ellis/New England | Downtown Brokerage
      33 Arch Street, 28th Floor | Boston, MA 02110

Comment

I have been meaning to post here to congatulate PC and Bob Dricoll on an excellent hire.

Coach Leaman is very impressive and had great success at Union --equally importatly I understand he treats players with respect.

I don't believe that Bob Driscoll or anyone could have foreseen what a poor coach Tim Army would be in every aspect. I was once a devoted PC fan but began to lose interest when excellent players like the star D-man who went to Notre Dame were teated very badly and eventually left the team--there were many others. The last straw for me was when Coach Army handed a scholarship to his son. That is just not right and I can only imagine how it must have played havoc with team chemistry.

Now that we have a coach with proven college experience I look forward to returning to Schnieder to witness a steady uphill climb for this program.

Comment

"The last straw for me was when Coach Army handed a scholarship to his son. That is just not right and I can only imagine how it must have played havoc with team chemistry."

My understanding is that as an employee of the college Tim's children were/are entitled to full and free tuition. Not sure about room and board but I do not think Derek used a ship. For this coming year I do not know what deal will be.

Comment

First everyone remember the kid is in the middle, it can't be easy playing for your father and when he is performing poorly as coach its even harder......I thought Derek played well when compared to all the others on the team with his same time in HE and believe he will be better this year.....don't know if NCAA rules would prohibit a full ride as part of a settlement but that would be nice (Cav will hopefully answer that) I know I would have asked for it if I were Tim......so now we all have to treat the kid as any other player and forget why he came to PC as he may have been welcome elsewhere and we will never know where....again we need shooters we stop them real good we shoot them real bad.....go Friars lets make the playoffs this year

Comment

Early in the season (perhaps the second home game) Derek was in the lobby at Schneider between periods 1 and 2 in his uniform talking to a guy - don't know who - and I heard him say how excited he was to be playing at PC.

I suspect with the family history he has been thinking about playing at PC for a long time.

Comment

Kent School forward Drew Brown has apparently decommitted from Union College and will join Coach Leaman at Providence (https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...LdlBOaHc&gid=0).
                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by BostonFriar View Post
                  - and I heard him say how excited he was to be playing at PC.

I suspect with the family history he has been thinking about playing at PC for a long time.
                  and he should be proud of what his father did as a player here and elsewhere, the family does have a great place in PC hockey history

Comment

Drew Brown and Noel Acciari were a lethal combo at Kent, their coach says.

http://sportsblog.projo.com/2011/05/...aman-gets.html
                    Last edited by Ghost of North Main St.; 05-18-2011, 11:26 AM.

Comment

October can't come fast enough for me. I am excited to see the kind of recruits the coach is bringing in here.

Comment

One thing i am concerned about is there is no goalies coming in as far as i've seen.

Comment

Derek may not crack the line up but he deserves a chance to do so....it is not his fault PC gave his Dad a ridiculous extension and as most fathers would do, get set up to play where he did ...... give the kid a break, there were many on the team who would not make BC or BU but you fail to point them out....enough on the kid

Comment

There is no way Derek had anything to do with Tim being removed. Record, record, record. Derek is certainly not a superstar player but he was clearly at least a 3rd liner amoung the talent that was on the team. Chris Rooney is not a better player than Derek. Chris is dynamic and plays hard, has an edge but he also takes a lot of penalties and did not put up great scoring numbers.

With the players leaving and those coming in I would doubt very much if Derek does not make a 30 player roster let alone the 20 player group that regularly dress.

Noel Acciari is also a Tim Army recruit not a Leaman recruit.

Tim is gone, Derek is not a problem and his ice time will be determined by his play. Is it really necessary to try to destroy people for no good reason?

Comment

The bottom line is we had no scoring threats.

Bergland and Jamnick had poor seasons. MacKinnon and O'Connor had good seasons compared to their careers. Cross was out the entire year.

Derek had nothing to do with any of these things.

For all of Tim's years as coach he never brought in a real snipper of any sort. Any mistake we made it was in the net. Most of our scoring was from scrums in front.Perhaps Cross was that player - we shall see.

The bottom line is Tim did not relate to this generation of players. Even he will admit to that. You could have played any of our offensive guys 60 minutes and the result would have been the same. Perhaps we would have won 2 more games but there is no way we would have been higher than 7th place.

The reason we had poor power play goal scoring is no one could really shoot the puck.

Comment

Derek is one powerful kid if he can impact all of that. I have season tickets so i saw far more than 6 games. Derek did not center every power play plus there are generally at least 2 lines used on each power play.

Bergland and Jamnick got plenty of ice time as did all 20 of the regular players. The year before we had the same terrible season when Derek was at Gunnery so go figure.

For 3 of the 5 seasons Derek was NOT at PC we were a terrible team in every way. Now blame Tim but give the rest a break.

Comment

Working...
                                X