Union Hockey 2011 Off Season Thread-"Union, We've Paid Our Dues"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union Hockey 2011 Off Season Thread-"Union, We've Paid Our Dues"

What a shame that not a week after being named COY Nate Leaman is off to Providence, where, no doubt, they are about to "fill his bucket." The inference can not be ignored that Union has made an offer he can refuse. The college will pay dearly in support should he leave. Once again the college will be cutting off its nose to spite its face. One might think Union is allergic to bright lights. Nate should be eligible for compensation at least equal to the the best paid in the league. Whatever it takes to keep him translates into goodwill among alums as Union steps out of the shadow of its more storied rivals. If the college wants to play in the big leagues and consistently succeed, it has to pay a big league salary. If the college wants to play on the cheap in DI, the success of this year will be ephemeral. In fact, the college should reconsider DIII. A NESCAC repatriation would not be the worst outcome, but that is not even a given. Should it be eventually revealed that the college was unwilling to to offer an attractive package, player desertions will ensue not to mention leaving a disaffected fan base whose financial contributions are not inconsequential. In any event, the afterglow of a glorious season is being quickly extinguished. Sisyphus should be the Union mascot.

Comment

Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
      What a shame that not a week after being named COY Nate Leaman is off to Providence, where, no doubt, they are about to "fill his bucket." The inference can not be ignored that Union has made an offer he can refuse. The college will pay dearly in support should he leave. Once again the college will be cutting off its nose to spite its face. One might think Union is allergic to bright lights. Nate should be eligible for compensation at least equal to the the best paid in the league. Whatever it takes to keep him translates into goodwill among alums as Union steps out of the shadow of its more storied rivals. If the college wants to play in the big leagues and consistently succeed, it has to pay a big league salary. If the college wants to play on the cheap in DI, the success of this year will be ephemeral. In fact, the college should reconsider DIII. A NESCAC repatriation would not be the worst outcome, but that is not even a given. Should it be eventually revealed that the college was unwilling to to offer an attractive package, player desertions will ensue not to mention leaving a disaffected fan base whose financial contributions are not inconsequential. In any event, the afterglow of a glorious season is being quickly extinguished. Sisyphus should be the Union mascot.
      The college did extend Leaman's contract to 2016-2017, so at least from that standpoint, they are willing to stand behind Coach Leaman. However I would have to agree with the "allergic to bright lights", and this is something that was indirectly discussed on Slap Schotts after the RPI series when the players were not available for comment. Nate was also REALLY showing how he got that CoY award during the postgame interview, but that's for another day. However, you are correct in that this is the true test for support from the administration. From a travel partner standpoint, we want Union to be strong (in 20 of 22 ECAC contests) because it really helps us both.

Comment

Heard Kinkaid signed with New Jersey today, should be coming out soon online i would think.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeystud89 View Post
          Heard Kinkaid signed with New Jersey today, should be coming out soon online i would think.
          http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=32401934
          http://sachem.patch.com/
          Last edited by Wholin1; 04-15-2011, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Why would anyone hold it against Leaman if he left? Players leave for bigger and better, coaches leave for bigger and better. Nothing wrong with that.

And it's not Union's fault if it won't pay what Providence can pay. Union is what Union is. And again, there's nothing wrong with that. This ain't exactly the Roger Hull days where he was happy if his team won 40 percent of its games. But fact is, it's a Division III institution - whereas Providence is a Big East school. I mean - c'mon! What do you all expect?

I get it about loyalty and stuff, but it only goes so far. There's nothing wrong with a man trying to move up in the world. Unfortunately, that's a harsh reality to Union and its fans --- I feel bad for them. But no one is doing anything wrong here.

Comment

I understand Roger Hull is running for Mayor of Schenectady... wonder how proud he'll be if he gets 40% of the vote?
              Here we come!

Comment

Looks like both Capital District teams are in the same boat, goaltending-wise...

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...leaving-union/

Comment

Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
                  4 or 5 years ago I would have agreed with most of this - in fact I posted a similar diatribe after TJ Fox went pro and U was coming off a last place finish- but I really don't think this is a fair thing to say now.

Providence IS a bigger fish - they play in a better league and likely have more revenue at their disposal from D-1 bouncy ball. As ScoobyFan said, Union is D-III and there is a limit to what they are going to pay a coach. I agree that U needs to be as competitive as they can compensation-wise relative to ECAC, but U will never be comparable to big universities with big revenue from D-1 football and/or basketball.
                  Also, Leaman has to make decisions on what is best for him and his family. Potentially more money and moving back to the Boston area, a place he & his wife have lived before, could be pluses. It also seems apparent that Nate is not just looking for the first opportunity to get out of Schenectady - something that was definitely NOT the case with some coaches in the past. He has leverage and is looking at his options - can't fault him there.

But the biggest thing that makes me less worried in the long run is that the hockey program is in GREAT SHAPE. It has become much more than just one coach or a couple of players. There is an emerging history that students & fans can look back on with pride and anticipation of the next season. The team now has a "Union Way" of doing things that they have confidence will bring good results. I don't see the administration every going back to D-III.

I was also really struck on Senior Night listening to the seniors thank everyone how much more support the program has now - and, yes, much of it is from the administration. Coaches including assistants are at least reasonably compensated with long term contracts (there has not been much coaching turnover in the last 8 years) - there is financial aid available to foreign recruits - the recruiting budget (thanks to the Garnet Blades) allows travel to western Canada or any other locale that the coaches want to go to - there is a goalie coach, an academic adviser, a team psychologist, a dedicated weight room and now a dedicated strength coach. These are things that are givens at other programs, but mostly were not there for the coaches prior to Leaman. To Leaman's credit he has done a terrific job putting everything together, but he had tools that his predecessors did not. I really really hope he doesn't leave. But the best architects are the one's that build things that last a long time, and I believe the program can survive any hiccups that occur this off-season. My hope is that at least one of Leaman or Bennett will back next season to give the team continuity, but if that doesn't happen then another coach will have to be found and I think the tools will be there, along with a load of good players, to make things successful for years to come.

IMO this all the new uncharted territory that Union fans have never had to deal with before - coaches & players become hot commodities and others want them. In the short term this can be very painful (ask our friends across the river how it felt having two potential All-Americans leave for the pros), but its what good programs have to deal with and we may have to get used to it. I'm definitely not happy to see Kinkaid leave, but there is a very good goalie coming in next fall and I'm cautiously optimistic..
                  UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

A huge blow to lose Kinkaid, but it's not that surprising after the season he had. As of now, Grosenick and incoming recruit Julien Laplante are the only two goalies slated for next year's roster. Goaltender will be a big question mark entering next season until one of those two step up and prove capable. They have arguably the league's best goalie to replace -- hardly an easy task. Laplante seems to have impressive credentials, but who knows how that all translates. I don't know much about Grosenick's potential.

From a February story from the Bonnyville Nouvelle:

With strong goaltending already on Union’s roster, Laplante admits it was a tough decision to make.

“It was a bit of a gamble,” said Laplante. “They have a guy that will probably sign in the NHL next year. If he signs, then I have a legitimate opportunity to play a lot next year.”

Laplante is confident he could come in as a freshman and provide solid goaltending night in and night out.

He acknowledges there will be competition for a starting spot, whether or not the other goaltender signs in the NHL.

“There will be competition wherever you go,” he said. “It can be good for your game, but it can also be very bad if you don’t rise above it.”

Now we need to wonder if Leaman follows Kinkaid out the door.
                    Last edited by rdf8585; 04-16-2011, 02:24 AM.

Comment

My thoughts are pretty jumbled right now with the not surprising departure of Kinkaid and the the speculation swirling around Nate Leaman's status. However, I take some comfort in ADK's analysis which I think is right on the mark. I'd rather be concerned over a program which has made great strides than the moribund teams that struggled so in the first decade and a half of its D-1 existence (and no slight is intended by that remark to the coaches and players who gave it their all during the lean years). I guess I'll reserve further comment for a day or two and in particular until after tomorrow's night's Garnet Blade's Banquet.

One other thing that is kind of bizarre, how many NHL teams "announce" signing over Facebook? Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                        My thoughts are pretty jumbled right now with the not surprising departure of Kinkaid and the the speculation swirling around Nate Leaman's status. However, I take some comfort in ADK's analysis which I think is right on the mark. I'd rather be concerned over a program which has made great strides than the moribund teams that struggled so in the first decade and a half of its D-1 existence (and no slight is intended by that remark to the coaches and players who gave it their all during the lean years). I guess I'll reserve further comment for a day or two and in particular until after tomorrow's night's Garnet Blade's Banquet.

One other thing that is kind of bizarre, how many NHL teams "announce" signing over Facebook? Weird.
                        It wasn't announced by the Devils on Facebook, it was apparently some of Keith's friends congratulating him and he said "thanks" - so it wasn't even Keith posting it officially on FB.
                        UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                          It wasn't announced by the Devils on Facebook, it was apparently some of Keith's friends congratulating him and he said "thanks" - so it wasn't even Keith posting it officially on FB.
                          It was my weak attempt by this NYR fan to tweak the NJ Devils.

Comment

LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Wonder if anything will be said tonight at the hockey dinner about Keith or if they'll wait 'til it's official.
                              Hockey is life, the rest is just details!

Comment

Originally posted by Goaliefan View Post
                                Wonder if anything will be said tonight at the hockey dinner about Keith or if they'll wait 'til it's official.
                                Coach briefly alluded to KK's signing today and there was a nice round of applause. Enjoyable evening last night and some heartfelt appreciation by and for the departing seniors, a great group which will be missed.

Comment

Working...
                                X