Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union Hockey 2011 Off Season Thread-"Union, We've Paid Our Dues"

Originally posted by CollegeHCKYfan2323 View Post
    As a Union fan I find it very respectable that we lost to UMD they are playing great hockey I'm not sure about all of you guys but I would like to see UMD win it all no shame in losing to the National Champions, although it could have very easily could have been "U's"
    I'd still rather it be Union.

UMD is really on a roll and probably playing the best of the 4 teams left. Their special teams have just been outstanding. I'm not sure if I subscribe to the theory that I'd like to see UMD win it all just because Union lost to them, but you're right...it's very respectable that Union lost to them. Heck, nobody else could hold them to less than 4 goals.
    Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Keith Kinkaid was awarded as a First Team East All-American today, congratulations Keith!

http://www.uscho.com/2011/04/08/nort...all-americans/

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
        Keith Kinkaid was awarded as a First Team East All-American today, congratulations Keith!

Keith, stay in school!

Comment

Way to go, Brock Matheson who played in his first AHL game last night for Binghamton. Didn't make the stat sheet.

Comment

Any word on the 2011-2012 schedule?
            Let's go U!

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
              I'd still rather it be Union. UMD is really on a roll and probably playing the best of the 4 teams left. Their special teams have just been outstanding. I'm not sure if I subscribe to the theory that I'd like to see UMD win it all just because Union lost to them, but you're right...it's very respectable that Union lost to them. Heck, nobody else could hold them to less than 4 goals.
              I mostly agree with this, but think we have to be a little careful reading too much into how a loss to one team compares U to others. First of all, UMD shutout U and that's a recipe for losing 100% of the time. Secondly, I'd say that UMD didn't exactly have their A game against U and didn't start to hit their stride until the 2nd period against Yale. U's fans & players need to keep things in perspective that a lot of work is still needed to get to the point of winning NCAA games. Let's not go where a lot of Yale fans went after last season's NCAAs, and I suspect a few of their players did too, in thinking that giving up 9 goals to BC but making the game "close" meant they were ready to win a NC. However, I think the NCAA game does show that U's players and coaching are on the right track, and with the development of a little more top end talent and some hard work U could make it back to the dance and actually make a little noise.
              UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post

This is obviously a huge honor and congratulations to Keith!! Yet another big honor for the program and shows the progress that was made this season and throughout Leaman's tenure.

..and, yes, I'm officially worried about both Welsh and Kinkaid leaving for the pros. I thought Welsh was one of the few U forwards that stood out in Bridgeport and at times looked dominant. I'm assuming there was probably more than one pro scout in the stands and had to notice. I'm hoping that the thought of coming back and completing some unfinished business might entice both of them to come back, but.. I'm still worried.

As for the coaching carousel, both Bennett and Leaman are being "rumored" for other coaching spots. Bennett definitely is in the running at UML and Providence, and Leaman is what I would call "vaguely rumored" at PC and Penn State. There is even the possibility of Merrimack's coach going to Penn St. which would open up another position. I would say there is a good chance that Bennett will be offered something at one of the HE school. As for Nate, I think its hard to tell what is or isn't happening with him. There haven't been any remotely confirmed rumors, which I would guess Mr. Schott would be all over if there was. But certainly his stock has never been higher and he has to be on the wish list of just about any D-1 school with an opening. Penn St. is an intriguing position with their Big-10 affiliation and the HE schools obviously could be seen as potential steps up the ladder. You can really drive yourself crazy thinking about all the possibilities, but in the end most everything is just rumor and we won't know for sure until it plays out. My hope is that most of the coaching staff returns and keeps continuity going into next season.
                UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

I agree that Nate's stock has never been higher and deservedly so. Strictly guesswork here, but I assume two things are likely going on here. First, I assume that he is listening to the overtures out there, he would be ill advised not to do so. Second, I would guess that he is having discussions with the administration regarding his package as well as what he needs to keep the program moving forward. That being said, the only job I could see him leaving for if it's even out there, would be Penn State but I could be and probably am totally wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by DutchFace View Post
                    Any word on the 2011-2012 schedule?
                    This is the ECAC part of your schedule:

11/4 - at St. Lawrence*
                    11/5 - at Clarkson*
                    11/11 - Yale*
                    11/12 - Brown*
                    12/2 - at Quinnipiac*
                    12/3 - at Princeton*
                    12/10 - at RPI*
                    1/6 - Harvard*
                    1/7 - Dartmouth*
                    1/14 - RPI*
                    1/20 - at Brown*
                    1/21 - at Yale*
                    1/27 - Clarkson*
                    1/28 - St. Lawrence*
                    2/3 - Colgate*
                    2/4 - Cornell*
                    2/10 - at Dartmouth*
                    2/11 - at Harvard*
                    2/17 - Princeton*
                    2/18 - Quinnipiac*
                    2/24 - at Cornell*
                    2/25 - at Colgate*

As for the non-conference games, Ive seen a home series against Lake Superior in early October and im guessing a home series with W. Michigan as a return visit from your trip out there last season. Away games at RIT over Thanksgiving weekend and a game at UNH. This is all from info ive seen posted at uscho.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                      Way to go, Brock Matheson who played in his first AHL game last night for Binghamton. Didn't make the stat sheet.
                      However, he made the stats sheet in his second game Saturday night......he took a penalty!!
                      I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                        However, he made the stats sheet in his second game Saturday night......he took a penalty!!
                        Hey, that's cool as long as they spelled his name right.

As far as the schedule is concerned I've heard that there will be a Denver, CC trip in December.

Comment

Ken Schott: Leaman says he isn't interested in Providence College head coaching job

I'm cautiously optimistic that Leaman will be back come fall.

Comment

Union finishes 12th in both major postseason polls. Sounds about right, I guess.
                            http://www.ecachockey.com/men/2010-1...4_M_Final_Poll

Comment

http://unionathletics.com/news/2011/...413112019.aspx

Congrats Nate on COY honors

Comment

Nobody deserved it more after the year that program had.

Comment

Working...
                                X