Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union Hockey 2011 Off Season Thread-"Union, We've Paid Our Dues"

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
    Hmmm.. obviously I didn't choose my words very well there did I.. probably what I get for posting late at night . Apologies to anyone I offended and was certainly not how I intended it to come out.

The point I was trying to make is that it has been quite some time since the ECAC has had 4-5 national top-end teams in the same season, and this hurts not only the league strength-of-schedule but also in being prepared for the NCAA tournament. Cornell, RPI, Clarkson etc. probably know this better than anyone given how weak other teams in the league have been in the last 10-15 years.. with Union being a prime offender. Strong OOC schedules do help, but having 3-4 top 10 teams and another 3-4 in the top 25 would help even more. The "big 3" leagues get most of their SOS from playing each other in league games and the ECAC needs to get to that level too. The reason I listed those 4 programs (and could include Harvard too) is that they have all historically been the bellweather programs in ECAC and if Yale, Union and say Princeton can join them as elite programs, then the league may lose its EZAC reputation and get somewhere in the NCAAs. My saying that these programs need to improve was a poor choice of words and certainly unfair to Cornell & RPI based on even this past season's results.. my bad.
    Some of the issue seems to be that the league is too competitive and everyone finishes in this huge cluster**** in the standings. The difference between 3rd and 6th was 2 points. The difference between 7th and 9th: 1. Even Yale and Union this year were neck and neck. When you look at those "big 3" leagues, you notice that there is a fairly easy to notice difference between all of the teams in terms of standings. We beat each other up to the point where not necessarily the best teams move on. Obviously that's the nature of sports, and that's why they play the games, but if any team can win on any night in our league, of course powerhouses in other leagues will beat us to a bloody pulp.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
      You guys are tough.....wow !!!
      I can’t believe this but some of you folks are going to make me defend Nate. First of all I am an RPI fan and I don’t like Union or particularly care for Nate. I don’t wish the program or him any ill will; I just take the rivalry seriously. This is testament to where Nate has taken the program.

With that said, for anyone to criticize Nate and the performance of the team is crazy. He has taken your program from obscurity to national prominence. He has done a magnificent job with the resources he is given. Granted I don’t like the style (trap) but he knows how to win. For those of you who are whining about Nate, you might not have him to kick around much longer because I am sure that he is on the short list of available jobs.

I’m sure my good friend Kenny Schott will agree with my post. And just so you think I haven’t gone soft … please upgrade the bathrooms at your so-called rink and add a few more urinals and enough of the trap already.

To all my adoring Union fans, have a nice spring and summer. Peace.
      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
        With that said, for anyone to criticize Nate and the performance of the team is crazy. He has taken your program from obscurity to national prominence. He has done a magnificent job with the resources he is given. Granted I don’t like the style (trap) but he knows how to win. For those of you who are whining about Nate, you might not have him to kick around much longer because I am sure that he is on the short list of available jobs.
        I don't think any Union fan would disagree that Nate Leaman is the best thing that ever happened to Union hockey, with the departure of 40% Roger perhaps being a not so close second. I think any negative feelings expressed here are just lingering disappointment over what might have been and not meant as criticism of our coach.

Comment

Ken Schott's blog indicates Rick Bennett is a finalist for the UMass Lowell job and that Nate Leaman is not. http://dailygazette.com/weblogs/scho...ass-lowell-he/

Comment

A little disclosure first...I'm an RPI die hard...with that said its not as hard for me to understand the post here as it is to some people... this forum in large part is a vehicle for venting and everyone from U had high hopes and expectations for the post season after the awesome regular season they had and a little frustration and venting is a good thing that means you care.Just like your climb to league respectability post season success is a process...remember the teams you meet in the NCAA tourney are not only stacked w/NHL calibur talent but also players that have been to the NCAA's every year of their career and have been there done that....they know what it takes to get it done...the important thing going forward is to get yourself and RPI for that fact to the dance on a regular basis and start learning how to be successful in these games....the U has just begun to play in games that matter...it will come !!!...As far as Leaman for COTY he is as worthy as anyone...remember COTY is subjective and who knows the coach at UAH with what he had to work with may have done the best job or Hakstool @ UND...sometimes its harder to win when you are expected to.....sooooo enjoy the summer and looking forward to RPI v U next season it should be a war again....game on !!!!!!!
            What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Brock Matheson has signed an amateur tryout agreement with the Binghamton Senators of the AHL, congratulations!

Comment

I found this article posted on the RPI thread. It references an OOC game at UNH next season.
                http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/p...380/-1/NEWSMAP

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                  I don't think any Union fan would disagree that Nate Leaman is the best thing that ever happened to Union hockey, with the departure of 40% Roger perhaps being a not so close second. I think any negative feelings expressed here are just lingering disappointment over what might have been and not meant as criticism of our coach.
                  Agreed - I think everyone here needs to relax. I don't think there was ever any intent on the "critics" of Nate Leaman to insist that he's not good enough to be Union's coach. It was simply a small (perhaps constructive) criticism that he may not have the right coaching mindset in the postseason.
                  Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Man I hope Nate doesn't read these threads or else I wouldn't blame him looking at other jobs that are open, Nate is the best coach in the ECAC if not in the country. Union ran into a very hot Colgate team that no one could have saw moving on to the ECAC semi's, they also ran into a hot tender against UMD but when its all said and done Nate got those boys ready to play and they team did not execute to its potential. This was the greatest season in Union history its a small step and I know it stings because we all wanted to be the cinderella story and make the Frozen Four but this was still a dream to even make the tourny.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHCKYfan2323 View Post
                      Man I hope Nate doesn't read these threads or else I wouldn't blame him looking at other jobs that are open, Nate is the best coach in the ECAC if not in the country. Union ran into a very hot Colgate team that no one could have saw moving on to the ECAC semi's, they also ran into a hot tender against UMD but when its all said and done Nate got those boys ready to play and they team did not execute to its potential. This was the greatest season in Union history its a small step and I know it stings because we all wanted to be the cinderella story and make the Frozen Four but this was still a dream to even make the tourny.
                      I wouldn't worry too much about the "Fire Nate Leaman" talk; most schools that don't win national championships (at least in recent enough memory) will have their dissenters. Heck, it's only been 8 years for the Gophers, and look at all the Don Lucia talk. Coach Leaman has done wonders for you guys, and I think the only gripe I'd have about him is the whining after losing to us (not that we don't like it ).

Comment

Originally posted by Union93 View Post
                        This is the most ridiculous pile of CRAP I have ever read on any Union thread. End of story.
                        It is worth repeating, in my opinion the Nate bashing is the most ridiculous pile of CRAP I have ever read on any Union thread. End of story.
                        2008-2009 ECAC Pick The Standings Contest Champ!

Comment

Originally posted by Union93 View Post
                          It is worth repeating, in my opinion the Nate bashing is the most ridiculous pile of CRAP I have ever read on any Union thread. End of story.
                          Amen, and I hope that's the end of it. And to think not that long ago people were paranoid about his leaving.
                          Hockey is life, the rest is just details!

Comment

Originally posted by Goaliefan View Post
                            Amen, and I hope that's the end of it. And to think not that long ago people were paranoid about his leaving.
                            Granted as a wcha (sioux) fan I am biased but I think that very few people outside the union fanbase expected union to get past UMD. They took penalties and snuffed the union pp and fully expected to. They played solid team defense schooled by playing an extremely rigorous schedule. Your team did the best they could against a truly top tier team that is deep and very well coached. Be proud and come back stronger next year

Comment

More postseason honors, these for Keith Kinkaid and Mat Bodie. Chase Polacek also. All well deserved.

https://cms.dailygazette.com/weblogs...lege-hockey-c/

Comment

As a Union fan I find it very respectable that we lost to UMD they are playing great hockey I'm not sure about all of you guys but I would like to see UMD win it all no shame in losing to the National Champions, although it could have very easily could have been "U's"

Comment

Working...
                                X