Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Penn State's Impact on Women's Hockey

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
    I suspect Syracuse is a better a basis for comparison, considering that BU has a stronger hockey history and obvious, stable conference fit.
    not certain SU is going in the right direction....time will tell

Comment

There is no need for PSU to start out as an independent. Syracuse was able to join CHA right away. I don't see why PSU can't.
      Big ten hockey just ain't happening for at least 10 years (most likely longer).
      I think 6 men's and 6 women's teams should be the minimum to create the new league.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPig View Post
        I think 6 men's and 6 women's teams should be the minimum to create the new league.
        I can't imagine such a minimum ever being imposed or adhered to. There's no way the lack of 6 women's teams will keep the men's teams from forming a league.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPig View Post
          There is no need for PSU to start out as an independent. Syracuse was able to join CHA right away. I don't see why PSU can't.
          Big ten hockey just ain't happening for at least 10 years (most likely longer).
          PSU plans to start out as independent for 2012-13. Then, they will join a league (either Hockey East or CHA) in the 2013 season to coincide with the opening of their arena which sounds like will be a pretty high-tech decked out to the max barn!
          Last edited by pakidnyc; 03-13-2011, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
            I can't imagine such a minimum ever being imposed or adhered to. There's no way the lack of 6 women's teams will keep the men's teams from forming a league.

Powers &8^]
            Not an official minimum It's only my idea or a decent sized league. My wish does count for something.....at least in my mind:-D

Comment

Originally posted by pakidnyc View Post
              PSU plans to start out as independent for 2012-13. Then, they will join a league (either Hockey East or CHA) in the 2013 season to coincide with the opening of their arena which sounds like will be a pretty high-tech decked out to the max barn!
              I know, I have been hearing about that, especially from my friends in that area. I just thought joining CHA will give them more games to play and a whole lot more practices

Comment

For those who may not have heard, the new Big Ten Conference for mens hockey was officially announced today. This article does not, however, say which conference the Penn State women will join. I would imagine an announcement on that will follow shortly.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...MDua_eyD5PcOiU
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I'm a little conflicted on this move...being a long time fan of the WCHA. I will miss the intense and critical rivalries with the Sioux, Huskies, Bulldogs, Mavericks, Beavers and the two Colorado based rivals for the Gopher men. Going to be odd not battling those teams for points in the standings. Should still be some great NC match-ups though.

One positive...I have always had a very intense animosity for the Wolverines and Spartans. Love to play 'em...love to beat 'em...though it's never easy. Always really liked to beat Red's team.
                  Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Notre Dame is is much more likely to have a team than Michigan or Michigan State with the new rink ND has coming on line. If ND does elevate a team this could add more pressure for UM and MSU to catch up. However, there is ZERO chance UM will have a team so long as Red Berenson still lives anywhere in North America.

New rinks at ND and PSU could easily create an instant and high profile rivalry in hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimer View Post
                      Notre Dame is is much more likely to have a team than Michigan or Michigan State with the new rink ND has coming on line ... New rinks at ND and PSU could easily create an instant and high profile rivalry in hockey.
                      Has there been any talk or rumors of Notre Dame starting up a women's program?

Sean
                      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                      BU Hockey highlights and extras
                      NCAA Hockey Financials
                      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Nothing credible. Just an observation that with a new rink starting a womens team can be kind of easy.

Comment

Why is he a stumbling block?

Comment

However, there is ZERO chance UM will have a team so long as Red Berenson still lives anywhere in North America.
                            Well he is 71 and the last time I saw him on TV he looked like Sh*t. Maybe he won't be in the coaching ranks much longer.
                            Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

I know Mel Pearson when he left to go to UofM thinking Red was going to retire soon. LOL Years later he is still there. UofM has a womens club team and mens club team that use the rink. Have spoken with the club team coach and he has expressed they would go varsity in his guess of 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                                Has there been any talk or rumors of Notre Dame starting up a women's program?

Sean
                                We had Miami and Nortre Dame ADs at one of our Badger Games about a year ago now. They went to games at Minnesota and Wisconsin (at Eagles Nest) in the same weekend. The word then was they were in the exploratory stage. Where Penn State was roughly 10-12 years ago...
                                The WCHA Dynasty
                                Wisconsin
                                National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
                                MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
                                National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
                                MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
                                National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
                                MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

Working...
                                X