Penn State's Impact on Women's Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hux View Post
    I'm kinda surprised we haven't heard anything about a coach yet. Will things change next week?
    I heard next week there should be an announcement!!!

Comment

• Re: Penn State's Impact on Women's Hockey

When you read the PSU info online they really seem to be playing down the women's team. They regard the money as for an ice arena and men's team, then it get reiterated with the women's team added. Find it interesting that the men's coach they hired will start this year with the club team in transition.

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
        When you read the PSU info online they really seem to be playing down the women's team. They regard the money as for an ice arena and men's team, then it get reiterated with the women's team added. Find it interesting that the men's coach they hired will start this year with the club team in transition.
        I don't think it's that unusual that they hired the men's coach first. They were just interviewing coaches for the women this week and are supposed to make an announcement next week. It's yet to be seen if he/she will coach the club team or not.

Comment

Originally posted by pakidnyc View Post
          I don't think it's that unusual that they hired the men's coach first. They were just interviewing coaches for the women this week and are supposed to make an announcement next week. It's yet to be seen if he/she will coach the club team or not.
          Not referring to them choosing the men's coach first just the slight tone in the articles on the web site. I guess I should just be happy they are offering the sport to women.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
            That's perceptive of you...I'll leave it at that for now. On that note, don't be surprised if you're all saying "who?!?" when we do make the hire - I don't have a ton of info on candidates, but one piece I do have is that Mo Stroemel (the current club coach) is definitely in the mix. He's been involved with our club programs for almost 20 years, coaching our ACHA DII team and assisting with the DI team before going to the women's team, and he's unlikely to ask for much in the way of compensation or accommodations for the program. The stated goal is for PSU hockey to break even financially, and in order to do that, common sense says the amount of money the women's program loses needs to be kept to a minimum.

My information is that the hire won't be announced until the week of 6/6, not next week (not that it really makes a ton of difference either way). Final interviews were this week, and the original plan was to announce possibly by now, but the timeline was thrown out of whack by a sudden, unexpected coaching vacancy with our men's basketball program.
            Last edited by Scally Lama; 05-29-2011, 01:13 AM.
            Penn State: Annoying everyone in college hockey since September 17, 2010.
            1984, 1990, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003 ACHA National Champions

Thank You Terry: A Penn State Hockey Blog

Comment

I looks like Penn State just got accepted into the CHA.
              http://chawomenshockey.com/news/2011-12_news/psu070611

Comment

Originally posted by hurstfan87 View Post
                I looks like Penn State just got accepted into the CHA.
                Looks like they've applied. Acceptance comes later.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                  Looks like they've applied. Acceptance is assured.

Fixed
                  HT: Bucs FC - IV.46

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                    That's because the $88mil donation was for the arena and the endowment of the men's program only. PSU is elevating women's hockey to comply with TitleIX and is trying to raise the $$ to endow the women's program. While not expressly stated, the Penn State Ice Campaign is mainly responsible for raising the money for the women's program. They've received $1mil to name the Men's Coach's office and Men's goalie scholarship, but the money will actually be used towards funding the women's program. They're looking to raise $10 mil to endow the women's program as well as support other activities such as IM, etc. The new rink will also contain lockerrooms for Women's Field Hockey, since their field is next door.

Comment

What should we expect from next Tuesday's press conference at PSU? Anyone have info or thoughts?

Comment

Joining CHA I would assume..

Comment

Certainly that's the likely headline. But if that's all there is, why does the announcement read like there's a suprise in the works?

Since the Niagara AD is involved, perhaps PSU's first game(s) will feature Niagara as the opponent. But that's just idle guesswork on my part...

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                            Certainly that's the likely headline. But if that's all there is, why does the announcement read like there's a suprise in the works?

Since the Niagara AD is involved, perhaps PSU's first game(s) will feature Niagara as the opponent. But that's just idle guesswork on my part...
                            I think the NU AD is or was the CHA Commissioner as well? No?
                            Last edited by PuckFan92; 09-06-2011, 12:27 AM.

Comment

I believe he did a stint as the Acting Commissioner of the CHA, at the very least. That could fully explain his presence at the press conference. Could be there's no surprise at all; guess we'll find out this afternoon.

Comment

NU's AD was part of the CHA contingent that took the site visit to PSU a couple weeks ago. I'd be surprised if anything like games with the Purps came from this, he simply had a role in the process extensive enough to be there IMO.
                                Penn State: Annoying everyone in college hockey since September 17, 2010.
                                1984, 1990, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003 ACHA National Champions

Thank You Terry: A Penn State Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X