Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do we have Goal Judges?

Just a random question.

Why do we have/need goal judges in college hockey? Is it simply to put the light on to alert the crowd that there's a goal? A goal isn't officially a goal until a referee signals a goal, and if he doesn't see it go in the net (either live or on replay), it doesn't count, right?

Re: Why do we have Goal Judges?

It's a scam to reward influential boosters.
    Cornell '92, Michigan '97 - Go Red! Go Blue!
    I flex a real hard juice card.

Comment

It doesn't count unless the referee says it is a goal, regardless of what the goal judge does. Officially they are there in a capacity to "assist" the referees in determining whether a puck crosses the goal line entirely or not. I have seen on occasion a referee conferring with a goal judge before making a determination, but that isn't a common occurrence.

Comment

Originally posted by MoFan View Post
        It's a scam to reward influential boosters.
        Lock this thread and swallow the key. As long as said booster has decent eyesight and can hear the ping of solid vulcanized rubber on iron, he should get it right roughly 85% of the time and nobody will even notice him.

But in all seriousness ...
        2010 - 2012 Men's and Women's Ice Hockey Rules and Interpretations
        HR 54- Section 5: The goal judge should signal the referee, by means of a red
        light, when the puck enters the goal cage. The referee may consult the goal
        judge to gather information.
        The referee shall make the final decision as to
        whether or not the goal will be allowed.
        The goal judge shall judge at the same goal cage throughout the game.
        Goal judges should be isolated from the spectators.

How often does that happen?

Comment

All WCHA arenas now have overhead cameras to assist the referee in determining whether the puck crossed the line if there is any question. The goal judge is now completely superfluous. The referee goes straight to the TV monitor, not the goal judge.
          My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Someone has to turn the little light on?
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Someone has to turn the little light on?
              du78 can turn the goal light on from New York.

I think we have goal judges so that two old guys can wear blue blazers with WCHA patches and get front row seats with great sightlines.

Comment

It's two more officials for us to be angry with.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                  All WCHA arenas now have overhead cameras to assist the referee in determining whether the puck crossed the line if there is any question. The goal judge is now completely superfluous. The referee goes straight to the TV monitor, not the goal judge.
                  Overhead cameras are sometimes not enough, and sometimes without a camera inside the net, there's no way to be 100% sure.

The incident that leads me to ask this question happened a little over a week ago when a goal was scored that the goal judge saw (as did everyone sitting behind the net, and the goal scoring team). but the referee did not, and signaled no-goal, and didn't confer with the goal judge. The issue was, the goaltender reached WAY behind him into the net to scoop the puck out, but it covered any overhead view of the puck (which, from what I hear, was a good foot over the line). I don't blame the referee on the ice because he didn't see it go in, or he would have called it on the ice. The goal was not counted after the review (non-conclusive) correctly since it was called no-goal on the ice. This leads me to think that they are pretty much pointless in their little fish tanks behind the net other than to let everyone know in the building that there MIGHT be a goal...

I also know that at most arenas, the judges are affiliated with the home team, so they shouldn't have any final say, but what about having non-biased league 'officials' behind the net to get the right call?
                  Last edited by WildShawn; 01-31-2011, 02:38 PM.

Comment

goal judges are there because they know somebody connected with a leagues, so that they can get paid for sitting on their respective butt holes.
                    Bob is making me concerned
                    I am the voice of reason

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
                      goal judges are there because they know somebody connected with a leagues, so that they can get paid for sitting on their respective butt holes.
                      You read my mind; best reply yet.
                      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                        I also know that at most arenas, the judges are affiliated with the home team, so they shouldn't have any final say, but what about having non-biased league 'officials' behind the net to get the right call?
                        Another question: what is the appointment criteria for NCAA regionals?
                        "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                        Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                        NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                        EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                        AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                        1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                          Just a random question.

Why do we have/need goal judges in college hockey? Is it simply to put the light on to alert the crowd that there's a goal? A goal isn't officially a goal until a referee signals a goal, and if he doesn't see it go in the net (either live or on replay), it doesn't count, right?
                          In order to have six blind mice, thereby requiring bands to play Three Blind Mice twice as fast.

Comment

Because sometimes a mommy goal judge and a daddy goal judge love each other very much.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                              Because sometimes a mommy goal judge and a daddy goal judge love each other very much.
                              LOL! Very funny post!
                              Go Pioneers!

Comment

Working...
                              X