Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: computer issues: part infinity

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
    Here's an issue that I am having, and maybe it has been addressed but I am not going to read thru the whole thread. I get messages from one organization that often include attachments but I don't get the attachment. I can see the paper clip telling me there is an attachment but there is nothing there. It is a Word doc or Excel spreadsheet. Any ideas?
    Are there pictures within the email you're receiving? When people send embedded images within emails, they can show up as attached files. This used to happen a lot for me when receiving an email that included the "Think before you print" logo and slogan in the senders' email signatures.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Are there pictures within the email you're receiving? When people send embedded images within emails, they can show up as attached files. This used to happen a lot for me when receiving an email that included the "Think before you print" logo and slogan in the senders' email signatures.
      No pictures.
      Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Again, I would just allow the automated security updates because new threats are coming out daily and an OS designed years ago that was installed months ago onto a factory PC won't have the latest security measures and you will therefore create a vulnerability for yourself. This stands for both Windows and Office products.

As for the Window 10 upgrade, it took me all of about 90 minutes. Not data was lost, all of my applications still worked just as they did before, only now I have a PC with a UI that actually makes sense and I don't want to throw it out the window. I've upgraded both a Win7 and a Win8.1 machine to Win10. It's as foolproof as can be.
        Thanks for info guys!

I went to BBY and they shut off my update monitoring. So I not only will I not have automatic updates...but I won't be bothered about it. And then every 3-6 months I can go do a big update...done. I asked about 10. Not that the guy would know everything, but the Geek Squad guy who seemed pretty veteran recommended waiting on it for some time as its only been out a few months. They obviously have many PCs with 10 going through there shop. I very much appreciate the help from you guys.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Thanks for info guys!

I went to BBY and they shut off my update monitoring. So I not only will I not have automatic updates...but I won't be bothered about it. And then every 3-6 months I can go do a big update...done. I asked about 10. Not that the guy would know everything, but the Geek Squad guy who seemed pretty veteran recommended waiting on it for some time as its only been out a few months. They obviously have many PCs with 10 going through there shop. I very much appreciate the help from you guys.
          Waiting is definitely a good idea, as there are still driver issues and what-not. Heck, I still wait a few months before considering upgrading distros.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Reputable banks don't ask for that sort of thing.
            To clarify the whole situation:

I got a call from my bank (a major bank) asking me if I had traveled anywhere recently. I mentioned Houghton, Denver, and CO Springs. They immediately said, "Uh, well, then there was an attempted hack, can you stop in?" I did. They verified my online account/password, had to change everything, and then enacted the double password. No way in hell would I open an email from my bank (even if it was a standard "your statement is ready" etc.

Since that incident, NOTHING has happened or even been attempted, as far as either party knows.

Edit: I think my lack of travel, or at least lack of travel outside of those cities in general, helped trigger the suspected hack factor. Apparently it went against all my past transactions I've had for the past 20+ years I've had the account.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
              Here's an issue that I am having, and maybe it has been addressed but I am not going to read thru the whole thread. I get messages from one organization that often include attachments but I don't get the attachment. I can see the paper clip telling me there is an attachment but there is nothing there. It is a Word doc or Excel spreadsheet. Any ideas?
              Do your security settings allow attachments?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Do your security settings allow attachments?
                They must because I get emails from other people with attachments that I can open. The organization that sends the emails with attachments that I can't open recently changed their email server so maybe that is the problem.

Comment

They must because I get emails from other people with attachments that I can open. The organization that sends the emails with attachments that I can't open recently changed their email server so maybe that is the problem.
                  Again, what email service/program are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    again, what email service/program are you using?
                    aol

Comment

aol

Well, according to a quick Google search, there's no clear cut answer other than other people have the same issue.

https://community.spiceworks.com/top...ments-stripped

http://www.google.com/search?site=&s....3.hfG0oGEQnUs

Comment

aol
                        I'm sorry to hear that. Can you put your daddy on the phone now?
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          I got a call from my bank (a major bank) asking me if I had traveled anywhere recently.
                          It's good to know they are on the alert.

You raise a good point about a tangential situation as well: if you are planning on travelling, you might call your credit card company ahead of time. Several years ago, we went on a trip and were using a major credit card and they were unable to contact us to verify whether it was really us using the card, and once the charges hit a few hundred dollars, they froze activity on the card as a precaution until we contacted them. Despite the minor temporary annoyance, it worked out okay (merely had to call the 800 # from the checkout counter to clear everything up). Now, I call them in advance, not only if we are going to travel to someplace we rarely/never go, but also if we are going to charge more than a few hundred dollars on a purchase, even if it is a vendor we use regularly.

It is amazing today how quickly the potential fraud alert comes through on the cell phone. My suggestion would be never to use a debit card for anything (except ATM). You can always dispute a credit card charge and not pay the money in the meantime, but if you are disputing a debit card transaction the money is already gone until they put it back.
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

aol
                            even I'm not that old
                            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post

Well, according to a quick Google search, there's no clear cut answer other than other people have the same issue.

https://community.spiceworks.com/top...ments-stripped

http://www.google.com/search?site=&s....3.hfG0oGEQnUs
                              Thanks for checking - I appreciate it! I guess I will use my gmail account more.

I'm sorry to hear that. Can you put your daddy on the phone now?
                              My daddy died 15 years ago.

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                              even I'm not that old

Comment

Need help with trying to change the background on my Twitter page. It doesn't matter what I try to use, either one of the premade themes or an image that I try to upload, but all I get is a white background.

I've cleared the cache, logged out and back in....but I can't make a change.
                                Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Working...
                                X