Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too early for the PWR? Princeton and Brown say no!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Too early for the PWR? Princeton and Brown say no!

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
    I don't think they would move BU to Bridgeport if AF wins. AF will need to fly no matter what. Also, I suspect the NCAA will protect the #1 seed.
    Air Force flew to Worcester when there was a Regional in Colorado Springs, so I wouldn't say Bridgeport is out of the question.
    Kinda like DU this year--a flight is a flight.

And, as far as "protecting the #1 seed," remember the AHA champion has won their first-round game two years in a row.
    2010-2011 Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em Champion!
    2013 Atlantic Hockey Postseason Pick 'Em Champion!
    Air Force Falcons
    2007 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA West Regional
    2008 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional
    2009 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional Final
    2011 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional
    2012 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional

Comment

Originally posted by AFHockeyFan View Post
      Someone refresh my memory and explain how Yale wins a "comparison" with Air Force when the teams played once and Air Force beat them head-to-head. Is the rest of the Pairwise this illogical?
      Dude, come on. You can't simply have a comparison based off of one head-to-head meeting. So, if that was Air Force's only win of the season, they should win the comparison with Yale?

On another note, looks like the PWR was updated after I posted at 3:30 AM. Is it me, or is USCHO not updating these rankings as fast as they have in previous years?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        So, if that was Air Force's only win of the season, they should win the comparison with Yale?
        Yeah, you're right. All this head-to-head stuff is totally irrelevant. We should just award the NC to the team that finished the Pairwise ranked number one.
        Dumbass. It's one ****ing comparison. If Yale was really that good, they would win the other 31.
        Air Force Falcons

Comment

Yale has a better RPI, better record against TUCs (AF Does have have requisite games for this to matter), and a better record against common opponents than Air Force.

Air Force wins head to head game.

And my comment about protecting the #1 seed refers to the seeding. It seems to be the general consensus that Ylae is the weakest #1 seed. The AHA champ (presuming no crazy upset like AIC winning) will certainly have a better chance with them than with, say North Dakota.
          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2010 Frozen Four participant
          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Now you've done it Komey! Prepare for the wrath of Yale fans!!!! They'll beat you down with their intellectual superiority and monocles.
            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              You guys may need to check your code? PWR shows CC as being in. Anyway...

Bridgeport:

1. Yale
              2. Union
              3. Miami
              4. RIT

Manchester:

1. BC
              2. Denver
              3. UNH
              4. RPI

St. Louis:

1. North Dakota
              2. Notre Dame
              3. Nebraska-Omaha
              4. Western Michigan

Green Bay:

1. Michigan
              2. Merrimack
              3. Minnesota-Duluth
              4. Colorado College

I don't think anyone had CC out. However, Western's out. BU's in...
              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Relax guys. Not everyone understands how the PWR works. Even those of us that consider ourselves experts on the subject need some reminding from time to time.

For everyone's benefit:
                CHN Primer
                USCHO Pairwise Explanation
                USCHO Selection Process

TBRW, the Pairwise tool I use because it lets you change results and predict others.
                Sioux Sports PWR which I also use because it takes you in depth into each comparison.
                RPIhockey.net Lists all the ranks on one page for easy comparison.

Today I'm going to go through the PWR again and see what teams have clinched berths even if they crash out in the league playoffs. So far it looks like Yale and NoDak have locked up #1 seeds and BC is in no matter what. Michigan and Union are close; Denver and Merrimack are too volatile.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                  Now you've done it Komey! Prepare for the wrath of Yale fans!!!! They'll beat you down with their intellectual superiority and monocles.
                  Mr Peanut is a Yalie?
                  2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                  2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2010 Frozen Four participant
                  2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    Relax guys. Not everyone understands how the PWR works. Even those of us that consider ourselves experts on the subject need some reminding from time to time.

For everyone's benefit:
                    CHN Primer
                    USCHO Pairwise Explanation
                    USCHO Selection Process

TBRW, the Pairwise tool I use because it lets you change results and predict others.
                    Sioux Sports PWR which I also use because it takes you in depth into each comparison.
                    RPIhockey.net Lists all the ranks on one page for easy comparison.

Today I'm going to go through the PWR again and see what teams have clinched berths even if they crash out in the league playoffs. So far it looks like Yale and NoDak have locked up #1 seeds and BC is in no matter what. Michigan and Union are close; Denver and Merrimack are too volatile.
                    So, I haven't had to pay attention to this past January since like 2002. You mean I'm not supposed to rant and rave that Western should be ahead of Union because we beat their *** twice and ignore the rest of the season?
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                      Even hockey players wear monocles.

Adolf Twee, a bruising defenseman for the Chicago Blackhawks and the first NHL player to wear a monocle (his father was a Ruritanian count), credited his mom with instilling a passion for hockey as a mere infant and for guiding his career ever after. Only after Twee hung up his skates for good, in 1931, was it discovered that Mom was in fact a transvestite. Adolf took the news with aplomb. “Leastwise, they can’t call me a Momma’s boy no more,” he exulted.

*****http://www.vanityfair.com/online/culture/091208hockeymom2.jpg******
                      Last edited by LTsatch; 02-27-2011, 02:19 PM.
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

Yeah, you're right. All this head-to-head stuff is totally irrelevant. We should just award the NC to the team that finished the Pairwise ranked number one.
                        Dumbass. It's one ****ing comparison. If Yale was really that good, they would win the other 31.
                        Nice to see you couldn't answer a simple question. Yet, I'm the dumbass. When did I say head-to-head was totally irrelevant? Honestly don't know what you're talking about. The PWR simply determines who makes the tourney. Nobody is saying Yale is unbeatable because they are #1 in it.

Originally posted by Federal League View Post

I don't think anyone had CC out. However, Western's out. BU's in...
                        Sorry, it was late. Just don't know why USCHO is now slow in updating the rankings...

Comment

That's why the "Pairwise" is so stupid. You are supposed to be comparing two teams head-to-head, yet games played head-to-head is only 1/4 of the criteria. Just run the **** RPI and be done with it.

And, yes, I do think Air Force is better than Yale.
                          Air Force Falcons

Comment

That's why the "Pairwise" is so stupid. You are supposed to be comparing two teams head-to-head, yet games played head-to-head is only 1/4 of the criteria. Just run the **** RPI and be done with it.

And, yes, I do think Air Force is better than Yale.
                            You are my new favorite poster.
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Yeah. This guy has potential.

Comment

Originally posted by redwings8831 View Post
                                Mine:

Bridgeport:
                                1. Yale (EC)
                                8. Nebraska-Omaha (WC)
                                10. Miami (CC)
                                16. Atlantic Hockey (AH)

Green Bay:
                                2. North Dakota (WC)
                                7. Merrimack (HE)
                                11. Minnesota-Duluth (WC)
                                15. Boston University (HE)

Manchester:
                                3. Boston College (HE)
                                6. Union (EC)
                                12. New Hampshire (HE)
                                13. RPI (EC)

St. Louis:
                                4. Michigan (CC)
                                5. Denver (WC)
                                9. Notre Dame (CC)
                                14. Colorado College (WC)

*If Air Force wins Atlantic Hockey, move them to Green Bay and Boston University to Bridgeport.*
                                I would switch the Denver/ND game to Bridgeport and the UNO/Miami game to St. Louis. Real question for me is, if UND and Michigan both finish as #1 seeds, Wisconsin doesn't make the tourney and UMD doesn't fall to a 4 seed, who will go to St. Louis and who will go to Green Bay...

Comment

Working...
                                X