Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too early for the PWR? Princeton and Brown say no!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Too early for the PWR? Princeton and Brown say no!

All I'm saying is that you BC fans are overconfident. The fall will be hard ... if it comes. And it's more likely than not to happen. Your team is not vastly superior to everyone else. HE is a little weak this year and results against the better teams (UNH and Merrimack) have not been worth bragging about. And yet you all do so anyhow which is what is amusing/confusing. New word CONMUSING: the feeling experienced when one observes vast overconfidence that isn't fully rational displayed over and over and over - often a precursor to schadenfreude.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
      No one is invincible, but did you see the game? How many teams do you know that could withstand the screw job trying to be placed on them by the Hockey East refs. That "non goal call was one of the worst Ive ever seen.
      Reverse that call and the score remains the same though.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
        Reverse that call and the score remains the same though.
        Amazing
        Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

All I'm saying is that you BC fans are overconfident. The fall will be hard ... if it comes. And it's more likely than not to happen. Your team is not vastly superior to everyone else. HE is a little weak this year and results against the better teams (UNH and Merrimack) have not been worth bragging about. And yet you all do so anyhow which is what is amusing/confusing. New word CONMUSING: the feeling experienced when one observes vast overconfidence that isn't fully rational displayed over and over and over - often a precursor to schadenfreude.
          You realize I'm a UNH fan, and Onion dude is a Brown fan right? BC is a step above UNH and Merrimack who are 2 steps above the next tier and its a big drop off behind BU and Maine, and as posted, BC plays, and will play, their best in March/April. Period.
          I'm pretty sure BC hasn't played either Merrimack or UNH since November. If you think those results have anything to do with how they will fare in the next 2 months, you're mistaken. Period.
          Last edited by WildShawn; 02-08-2011, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I just think Merrimack is big, physical and fast enough to hit all those little forwards on BC. Doesn't matter what part of the year.
            North Dakota has thought this for years and has failed. Not saying anything is a given, but it's nothing BC hasn't seen before.

ROFL... They barely beat BU last night. They are a very good team but far from invincible.
            Since when is barely beating BU in the Beanpot something to laugh about? I haven't seen anyone call BC invincible.

What's your definition of overconfident? Any time your team loses in the NCAA tourney, the fall is hard. The only reason it's more than likely to happen to BC is because it's very difficult to repeat. That being said, BC has all the elements to do it again. Who is saying BC is vastly superior? Stop with the straw man arguments. And why are you focusing on a 1-3 regular season record against UNH and Merrimack? That's a four game sample, all of the games coming before BC has gone on this run that they're on. If you know anything about BC hockey, you'd know not to focus on early season results. Now, try not to hijack this thread and leave it to the PWR discussion.

Comment

ROFL... They barely beat BU last night. They are a very good team but far from invincible.
              I remember this same exact type of statement after beating Alaska 3-1 with an EN goal in the first round of the NCAA's last year. We all know how that turned out.
              BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
              National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
              Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

I just think Merrimack is big, physical and fast enough to hit all those little forwards on BC. Doesn't matter what part of the year.
                You mean like Wisconsin last year? Except Wisconsin was much bigger than "mighty" Merrimack.
                BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  Who is saying BC is vastly superior? Stop with the straw man arguments. And why are you focusing on a 1-3 regular season record against UNH and Merrimack? That's a four game sample, all of the games coming before BC has gone on this run that they're on. If you know anything about BC hockey, you'd know not to focus on early season results. Now, try not to hijack this thread and leave it to the PWR discussion.
                  Oh I don't know.. statements like "it would take an all time hot performance by a goalie to lose" or "they need to beat themselves" seem to be reasonably close although I never said anyone said they were vastly superior. I said that they aren't vastly superior because now stick with me on this... I don't think they are. OK?

And as far as highjacking the thread not sure I've done that, nor tried but please - there are 6 more weeks of results ahead. All of the discussion at this point is at least somewhat inane.

Comment

Oh I don't know.. statements like "it would take an all time hot performance by a goalie to lose" or "they need to beat themselves" seem to be reasonably close
                    The person who said those things is NOT a BC fan.

I said that they aren't vastly superior because now stick with me on this... I don't think they are. OK?
                    You're splitting hairs. Fine, nobody said BC was vastly superior. If nobody said they were, why then would you come back and tell us that they aren't? Just unnecessary.

Comment

The person who said those things is NOT a BC fan.
                      I understand but don't withdraw the comment as I think it applies to many BC fans anyhow. EF06 for instance - I'll bet he (guessing it's a he) is convinced that BC repeats easily.

You're splitting hairs. Fine, nobody said BC was vastly superior. If nobody said they were, why then would you come back and tell us that they aren't? Just unnecessary.
                      What you might infer from what I said, and perhaps said poorly, is that in order to justify the premises that were advanced BC would need to be a vastly superior team. That's it. Nothing more really.

Comment

North Dakota has thought this for years and has failed. Not saying anything is a given, but it's nothing BC hasn't seen before.
                        FWIW, North Dakota throttled BC in '05, played very close games that could have gone either way in '06 and '07 and then got throttled in '08. It's been fairly even. I don't think BC would want to see North Dakota in their bracket any more than the Sioux would like to see BC in their bracket. IMO, they are the top two teams in college hockey this year, and I hope if they meet, it's not until the title game.
                        North Dakota
                        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I understand but don't withdraw the comment as I think it applies to many BC fans anyhow. EF06 for instance - I'll bet he (guessing it's a he) is convinced that BC repeats easily.
                          I don't want to speak for him, but I don't think there is a single BC fan who thinks repeating will be easy. I certainly haven't seen it.

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                          FWIW, North Dakota throttled BC in '05, played very close games that could have gone either way in '06 and '07 and then got throttled in '08. It's been fairly even. I don't think BC would want to see North Dakota in their bracket any more than the Sioux would like to see BC in their bracket. IMO, they are the top two teams in college hockey this year, and I hope if they meet, it's not until the title game.
                          The '06 game wasn't really a toss up. BC was in control the whole way--the final score didn't reflect the game IMO. I believe BC is 5-2 against UND in the tourney under York. Not sure if they're the top two this year, but ya, obviously I respect UND. I just have questions about their goaltending, the unknown with Kristo and Genoway, and their recent early tourney departures.

Comment

The '06 game wasn't really a toss up. BC was in control the whole way--the final score didn't reflect the game IMO. I believe BC is 5-2 against UND in the tourney under York. Not sure if they're the top two this year, but ya, obviously I respect UND. I just have questions about their goaltending, the unknown with Kristo and Genoway, and their recent early tourney departures.
                            In '06, I felt that BC jumped out early, and after that North Dakota had the better of the play.

I don't really have questions about our goaltending. Dell has been very solid, posting a very good 2.07 gaa, and a decent .918 save %. He's also put up 4 shutouts, and plays very consistent. Kristo and Genoway are big losses, but Genoway should be back before the WCHA Tournament, and we'll see with Kristo. I'm not too concerned with previous season's early exits. The last time UND lost in their first NCAA tournament game in back to back years, they went on to win the NCAA Tournament. In '09 we really should have won the game, coming within a second of advancing, and in '10 we had a lot going against us (It was our 7th game in two weeks, were sent out East, and overlooked a quality team).
                            North Dakota

Comment

re: Dell

solid numbers, although the .918 isn't spectacular. i just wanna see how he does as the guy on a big stage.

Comment

re: Dell

solid numbers, although the .918 isn't spectacular. i just wanna see how he does as the guy on a big stage.
                                Agreed, that's why I said it was a decent number. He's done very well on the road in the WCHA, and played in front of just about as big of a stage there is against Minnesota and played well. Obviously, the NCAA Tournament is a different animal, but I'm not concerned. If we lose come NCAA time, I don't think it will be because of Dell.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X