X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference Pt II - The Exodus

Originally posted by UMDdangler View Post
    They are doing what they think is best for the league, what can draw up the most attention and get the best media coverage. I only see a boost in attendance, coverage of games, and national spotlight because of this..
    Where would you see a boost in attendance?

What games would get covered that aren't getting covered now?

What kind of national spotlight are you talking about?

The Big Ten Hockey Conference is going to happen. It will be good for some teams and will open up opportunites for other teams that won't be visable until a BTHC is formed. Saying that, it will be a negative to many programs. It will not benefit everyone. It most likely won't even benefit all 6 of the teams that would be in the conference.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      Where would you see a boost in attendance?

What games would get covered that aren't getting covered now?

What kind of national spotlight are you talking about?

The Big Ten Hockey Conference is going to happen. It will be good for some teams and will open up opportunites for other teams that won't be visable until a BTHC is formed. Saying that, it will be a negative to many programs. It will not benefit everyone. It most likely won't even benefit all 6 of the teams that would be in the conference.
      Ask yourself this..Where is the attendance going to decrease? You dont actually think that these big ten schools wont be able to pack the crowds? And I hope your not saying that the big ten and these bigger schools wont draw attention to the league and to the game.

Comment

Ask yourself this..Where is the attendance going to decrease? You dont actually think that these big ten schools wont be able to pack the crowds? And I hope your not saying that the big ten and these bigger schools wont draw attention to the league and to the game.
        I am absolutely saying that a BTHC will not put college hockey in the "national spotlight". The NHL isn't even in the national spotlight. We're a niche sport, with a niche market. We're lucky to have the coverage that we have. The addition of Penn State/BTHC is not going to change that.

I think attendance for Minnesota could decrease, along with many/most of the teams that are left out of the BTHC. You can't tell me that a series between Omaha and CC will draw the same as Minnesota and CC or Wisconsin and CC. If you look at the CCHA the situation is even more drastic.
        North Dakota

Comment

You aren't paying attention...no one is worried about the Big Ten Schools, we're worried about the leftovers...You think NMU, Ferris, Western, Mankato, CC, Denver are going to be able to charge the same prices they are right now and keep attendance numbers where they are without playing the Big Ten Schools?
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

The "leftover teams" still play non-confernce games...maybe they wont play the same teams each year, but they will still have tough games schedules against good teams. And anyways, let the teams who are having success continue to have success. Let them play bigger schools, better teams, better match ups.

Obviously a CC- series with minnesota or wisconsin will draw a bigger crowd than a CC- Omaha series, but that wont change because of the conference they are in, its because Minnesota and Wisconsin are better programs...so i dont know what you are trying to prove...that has nothing to do with there conference, that just states that minnesota and wisconsin are better than omaha..

Comment

Yes we are a "nitch", and thats why they need to make more moves to try to make college hockey a fan favorite.

plus, the NHL is gaining national spotlight, there ratings have grown each year since the lockout...AND college hockey is getting more recognition year after year.

Comment

The "leftover teams" still play non-confernce games...maybe they wont play the same teams each year, but they will still have tough games schedules against good teams. And anyways, let the teams who are having success continue to have success. Let them play bigger schools, better teams, better match ups.

Obviously a CC- series with minnesota or wisconsin will draw a bigger crowd than a CC- Omaha series, but that wont change because of the conference they are in, its because Minnesota and Wisconsin are better programs...so i dont know what you are trying to prove...that has nothing to do with there conference, that just states that minnesota and wisconsin are better than omaha..
                If Minnesota and Wisconsin are in a BTHC they are not going to go out to CC for a non-conference series. Therefore CC will have to schedule teams that do not draw as well. This will hurt their attendance. I'm not sure how I can more clearly explain this. But here it is...The Big Ten Hockey Conference will hurt CC's attendance. CC is just an example. This same model can be applied to nearly every team in the CCHA and WCHA that will be left behind.

As far as "what I'm trying to prove" you said in a previous post "Ask yourself this..Where is the attendance going to decrease?"

I just clearly explained it. Enjoy.
                North Dakota

Comment

*****http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/11/25/129036367500667842.jpg******

Besides, Omaha may well be the better program this year. If you'd said, "CC-MN or CC-WI would draw more because of their greater alumni bases" or "greater exposure on the national level than UNO", you'd sound far less like a BTHC apologist.
                  Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                  I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                  Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Yes we are a "nitch", and thats why they need to make more moves to try to make college hockey a fan favorite.

plus, the NHL is gaining national spotlight, there ratings have grown each year since the lockout...AND college hockey is getting more recognition year after year.
                    Please show me stats backing up your claim that college hockey is getting more recognition year after year?

Also, it's niche, not nitch. Nitch is not a word.
                    Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 10-20-2010, 11:19 PM.
                    North Dakota

Comment

Just because you play them, doesn't mean they'll give you a return trip. Which does the smaller program no good since it's missing out on the revenue a home series will produce...just paying travel costs. This isn't football, there's no multi-million dollar guarantee for playing the big boys.
                      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                      Originally posted by Quizmire
                      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I am absolutely saying that a BTHC will not put college hockey in the "national spotlight". The NHL isn't even in the national spotlight. We're a niche sport, with a niche market. We're lucky to have the coverage that we have. The addition of Penn State/BTHC is not going to change that.

I think attendance for Minnesota could decrease, along with many/most of the teams that are left out of the BTHC. You can't tell me that a series between Omaha and CC will draw the same as Minnesota and CC or Wisconsin and CC. If you look at the CCHA the situation is even more drastic.
                        Minneapolis/St. Paul is probably the best hockey market in the country the likelyhood of a major decrease in attendance is slim to none.
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                          Nothing much going on right now. The design firm could be chosen by next month. I interviewed current arena manager Chris Wittemore during our game last Friday. He says that groundbreaking should be sometime next summer.

As for the team itself, I'm told the varsity coach won't be selected until after the FF.
                          What is the reaction from the student body?

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                            Minneapolis/St. Paul is probably the best hockey market in the country the likelyhood of a major decrease in attendance is slim to none.
                            Hence why I say could. It really would depend on who the Gophers bring in for OOC matchups. Plus, subbing teams like Penn St and OSU for North Dakota and Duluth will not, at least initially, bring more people in. Also, it depends on where the Gophers are from a competitive standpoint when the BTHC forms.
                            North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                              From informal chats with Gophers season ticket holders, the decrease in attendance is already happening, driven by price increases, fees, and the "donation" required to keep season tickets. Even TV revenue may very well go down for the four schools not named Ohio State and Penn State, since they all have individual contracts with Fox Sports at the moment. That'll all be shared with the rest of the Big Ten schools, plus the network overhead costs.
                              Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                              I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                              Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Hence why I say could. It really would depend on who the Gophers bring in for OOC matchups. Plus, subbing teams like Penn St and OSU for North Dakota and Duluth will not, at least initially, bring more people in. Also, it depends on where the Gophers are from a competitive standpoint when the BTHC forms.
                                When all the Big Ten schools were in the same conference Minnesota usually was one or two.

Comment

Working...
                                X