Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
    *nod* I knew this, but I sit next to the physician who responded to the injury and we were in prime position to see the damage sitting behind their bench. It's good to know that our over-educated fan-base includes some medical doctors. It's nights like that where I am very thankful that people in our medical community takes their oaths to help others so seriously. I think the smartest person though was Brock himself who knew immediately that it was bad, and knew to put some pressure on it right away. His teammate followed suit with a towel even before the medical folks could move over there. No one likes seeing these injuries happen.
    Also, the teammate who helped Higgs off the ice, Alex Angers-Goulet, intends to go to medical school after he graduates. His father is a doctor, and his brother, Matt A-G (RPI '09), is in medical school.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      Okay, so thoughts on the game ...

5. The boxscore has Bailen scoring on that softball he tossed at the end of the 2nd, but I've seen game stories that say Helfrich tipped it. Either way, I didn't see it because I was watching Bailen get checked into the glass.

GFM
      I couldn't tell you who actually got the goal, but I'd say it was the player getting checked, so that would be Bailen. The puck kind of hit the pad and made a weird bounce/redirect where it just popped enough to skip over and in. Really odd goal and one I'm sure Griggs would love back.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Also, the teammate who helped Higgs off the ice, Alex Angers-Goulet, intends to go to medical school after he graduates. His father is a doctor, and his brother, Matt A-G (RPI '09), is in medical school.
        I wish him the best with that. It's good to know that he's that aware, he'll make a good physician one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          The whole bench moved out on it very quickly. They did a great, great job. It was pretty great to see that in the midst of something very, very serious.

Bailen is credited with the goal in the box. Helfrich was credited with it as a deflection in the game story.

Hey Ralph, are you down here?

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

So, most of us were in the lower bowl and it looks to be that way for the rest of the season.

Thoughts on whether or not it improved the atmosphere for the game?

I know my box has a couple of us who attempt to be vocal. Attendance has been erratic and the loudest of us have each missed series this season, so it's been a while since our box was yelling at full volume. Granted, the air got sucked out of our box after the incident Friday, but I think we all understand why.

Old section 24 moved down to 202 and was a bit louder than they've been in a while since Geof was back after missing a couple games.

Other thoughts? Doug, you move around the stadium more than most, so you might have the best feel for how the noise levels are working.

Comment

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
              So, most of us were in the lower bowl and it looks to be that way for the rest of the season.

Thoughts on whether or not it improved the atmosphere for the game?

I know my box has a couple of us who attempt to be vocal. Attendance has been erratic and the loudest of us have each missed series this season, so it's been a while since our box was yelling at full volume. Granted, the air got sucked out of our box after the incident Friday, but I think we all understand why.

Old section 24 moved down to 202 and was a bit louder than they've been in a while since Geof was back after missing a couple games.

Other thoughts? Doug, you move around the stadium more than most, so you might have the best feel for how the noise levels are working.
              As to the Section 24, er, 202 noise level, I could hear it from each of the places I shoot: high in the lower bowl, from the bench, and around the glass near the Zamboni doors - where you could hear it the loudest because you are the closest. I've been too lazy to climb up to the catwalks for those shots lately. Plus, you don't get to see much from up there due to all of the metal work in the way.

As for the Brock Higgs incident, I noticed in the first Record (local RPI area paper?) account they credited their trainer with saving the day. I was on the bench when it occured and they (the RPI players etc) were yelling at our bench and trainer for some help. Our bench trainer that night was Josh and he immediately responded to their bench. I didn't see if he actually did anything as was previously mentioned, a rolled towel was used to apply pressure to the severed jugular for immediate bleeding control. Our team doctor also responded from the stands and was right behind Higgs as he was taken back into the medical room for evaluation and treatment. Our doctor, upon seeing the injury, made the immediate determination that, other than controlling the bleeding and having the HEMSI EMT's start fluid resusitation, he needed to go to the ER for emergency trauma treatment. It was estimated that he lost around 2 units of blood rapidly but he never lost consiousness. Our doctor and Brock's mother (a real trooper I might add, calm, cool, and collected) rode to the hospital with him.

At the hospital I know he was stabilized and expected to undergo a CT angiogram to make sure the carotid artery was not damaged before heading to surgery. Luckily, it was not damaged; he underwent surgery and was released the next day. A tribute to both his constitution and our medical services. In the Record's next day report they did credit our high-quality medical care for his well being. He's expected to make a full recovery but will probably be out for a few weeks. It is also expected that he will not be allowed to fly as the pressure differential he would encounter could cause him complications with his repaired jugular vein. I suppose he will either take a bus or be driven home.

I and, I'm sure, all of the fans, staff, and players of both teams wish him a full and speedy recovery.
              Doug
              UAH 1974
              Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
              Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
              Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
              Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
              Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

People on Facebook are *****ing about the seating change. For the record, I am the largest agitator of the seating change. I was on Danton's case about it, I was on Jim's case about it, I was on Lou's case about it, and finally I just posted what I did on Facebook and brought my people downstairs. Were they happy about it? No. Did we have a better experience? I say yes. I had not thought about how much being in the corner with the mezzanine overhang above us would focus the sound, but it did.

We've got to do something. Until we get crowds over 2,000 again with regularity, mezzanine seats should be overflow only, and even then, seating should be restricted to specific sections. It will be hard to get the latter enforced by VBC staff, but it just has to happen. We need buy-in from the VBC and the city to do it, and I'm willing to go ride whoever I have to ride to make that happen. I have nothing on my calendar this week.

Four home games left. At this point, we've just got to figure out what works for next season, both on-ice and off-ice.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Hey there Charger fans... Here are a few pics from the RPI games.

Justin Cseter faces off against Brock Higgs, notice their concentration on the puck in the Ref's hand...
                  *****http://www.knology.net/~dougeagan/26-Faceoff-23(s).jpg******
                  Brock is the young man who accidentally had his neck slashed by a teammate's skate.

Here Cseter attempts to stuff one past RPI defender Bailen and goalie York.
                  *****http://www.knology.net/~dougeagan/26-Attacks(s).jpg******
                  Sadly, he was not successful.

Here is one of many saves John Griggs made on the weekend.
                  *****http://www.knology.net/~dougeagan/31-Save%20vsRPI(s).jpg******
                  I guess you could say he made an "armpit save"...
                  Doug
                  UAH 1974
                  Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
                  Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
                  Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
                  Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
                  Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

John really impressed me this weekend. He made a number of restaurant-quality saves. I'd say he earned the Friday start with his Thursday performance and should get one of the starts this weekend against the Beavs.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

John really impressed me this weekend. He made a number of restaurant-quality saves. I'd say he earned the Friday start with his Thursday performance and should get one of the starts this weekend against the Beavs.

GFM
                      Griggs has started three in a row and five of the last seven. All close games. Would guess at least one start, maybe two this weekend.

Comment

here's an update on Brock Higgs. I think I can speak for all the RPI fans when I say thank you, thank you, to all those mentioned in the article and those not...THANK YOU. http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...ewmode=default
                        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                          here's an update on Brock Higgs. I think I can speak for all the RPI fans when I say thank you, thank you, to all those mentioned in the article and those not...THANK YOU. http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...ewmode=default
                          Thank you for posting this for us. I wish Brock the best in his continued recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                            I'm so glad that he's doing better. I didn't know he made the game on Friday. I would have gone to talk to him had I known.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

I know I'm freaked even thinking about that happening, and I was over 1000 miles away. I am quite thankful for the way both sides professionally handled the situation, and thankful for your crowd members that were able to assist.

All the best to your team in the 2nd half of the season, and we'll try to keep you guys in touch on Brock's status should anything come up in the coming months.

Comment

I'm so glad that he's doing better. I didn't know he made the game on Friday. I would have gone to talk to him had I known.

GFM
                                He was over sitting with us initially, though we didn't talk to him much. I said hello. He mostly talked to Brenda (who sits behind me) and then in the second and third period he moved over with his mother who was the next box over.

Comment

Working...
                                X