Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
    I know I'm a Merrimack fan, but do any of the UAH fans know the promotional codes for the games in Nashville? Thanks for any help in advance.
    'Mack fans are welcome! Sadly, I don't know.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by chargersupporter View Post
      ... From the sounds of things, the team played its best game of the year?
      Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      ... But UConn's a bottom-half Atlantic Hockey squad ...
      Geof's comment pretty well sums it up.

Comment

Originally posted by tnlong View Post
        Geof's comment pretty well sums it up.
        Well, yes, but ...

The thing that I can't help but think is that the schedule is good for the program's visibility, and necessary to be taken seriously, but extraordinarily tough from a hockey perspective. Where are the easy series? You can learn a lot in failure, and we've seen the guys the last three seasons come around to realizing what worked for them, to coming down to losing by one goal to a Frozen Four team. That said, UAH's teams have had a schedule where they regularly faced teams of roughly equal talent; now, they're playing Big 4 teams pretty much every weekend. Every weekend, literally: the break between the Providence home series and the RPI tournament was the first weekend off in seven weeks. There is little rest for the weary, with a trip to Cornell before four games against [s]MAAC[/s]AHA schools before Christmas.

I don't know what to expect this weekend, but I EXPECT at least three wins in the four RMU/MC games. Expect. If the guys pull those out, they'll be showing that they're learning from the coaches and from themselves, and that keeps them from going winless in 2011. Pick up wins against those teams and you get some confidence. Punch the Beavs in the nose for at least a split [better a sweep]. Go for a split or better against Merrimack in Nashville---better would be the goal, since a Nashville series will probably get some higher visibility. Going to CC and UNO consecutive weekends will be very hard, but with some confidence and momentum? Yeah, you have a puncher's chance, especially against CC. Then, finish strong against Ferris and show them that you know how to beat them on their ice, too.

I'm quite sure that the players expect this of themselves.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

I'm quite sure that the players expect this of themselves.

GFM
          The players I've talked with would probably agree, but they're also a pretty realistic bunch and knew they got fed into the grinder to open this season. I sense some optimism still, at least in terms of the back half of the season, and that the team will learn a lot from this experience, even if it hurts now. It's just a rough way to learn. It's cliche, but the team is better than their record indicates.

Comment

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
            The players I've talked with would probably agree, but they're also a pretty realistic bunch and knew they got fed into the grinder to open this season. I sense some optimism still, at least in terms of the back half of the season, and that the team will learn a lot from this experience, even if it hurts now. It's just a rough way to learn. It's cliche, but the team is better than their record indicates.
            They've been in many of the games, which is good.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by JP1
              gfm is right i can't talk about any recruits not already announced or where the player/parent has mentioned it publically...that said i do know that the fact that uah is playing in front of scouts every night due to their schedule is getting noticed...opportunity to play earlier and be seen all appealing points...
              I guess you are talking about pro scouts there to watch players (from other teams) already drafted?

I wonder if next year's schedule will be as strong as this year's.

Comment

I wonder if next year's schedule will be as strong as this year's.
                I haven't seen all of it, but I don't think there's much rest for the weary.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

I haven't seen all of it, but I don't think there's much rest for the weary.

GFM
                  Well, as JP1 said, hopefully a strong schedule will appeal to possible recruits.

Comment

With only two juniors on the roster it looks like UAH will be more busy in their recruiting efforts this year (six seniors), as opposed to next. 4 forwards graduating, 2 defencemen. One forward recruit for next year so far. Will the team look at increasing roster size as well? Only 13 forwards and 8 d-men this year.
                    Not sure if these numbers are right as Fairbanks listed as a junior on uah web site and a senior on uscho.

??

Comment

Not sure if these numbers are right as Fairbanks listed as a junior on uah web site and a senior on uscho.

??
                      As Fairbanks has played four years, he's a senior: http://www.uscho.com/stats/player/mi...ris-fairbanks/ I will tell our hockey SID to fix the uahchargers.com roster.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

If the Chargers do decide to bring their roster up to 26 next year, that means they will be recruiting 8 players. Add those 8 to the current 12 freshmen and that group will be together for three years (if they all stay through graduation).

Comment

FLASH!!! UAH finally made it to Cornell!!!

After the bus ride from hell, (left campus Wed ~ 8pm arrived Cornell Fri at 11:30am) trailer problem in Kentucky, then dodging a ton of "lake effect" snow and weather across New York. They never left the bus except to eat for that whole time. You gotta feel for them. In my book, this trip wins the record for "worst bus ride". I was on the previous winner a few years ago when it took us 24 hours to return from Robert Morris due to bus problems. We spent around 10 hours in a rest area while waiting on the bus to be repaired (at least we had good weather and could wander around outside). I can only say I'm glad I wasn't along when the new record was set!

Anyway, first game at Cornell is 7pm ET tonight (6pm Central) and you can catch the Live Stats HERE. I think both games are televised with a Cornell Redcast Subscription. You can check it out at their main hockey page HERE.

Go Big Blue!!!
                          Doug
                          UAH 1974
                          Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
                          Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
                          Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
                          Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
                          Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JP1
                            not exactly what i had in mind when i suggested their previous routine wasn't working and they may want to look at changing it...be interesting to see how they react...hopefully got on the ice when first got there to get kinks out...
                            Yes, they got on the ice. That 11:30 am arrival was at the rink although I don't know how hard they practiced. They may have just had a warm up skate or maybe ran a few drills before heading to the hotel and/or eat.
                            Doug
                            UAH 1974
                            Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
                            Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
                            Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
                            Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
                            Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
                              FLASH!!! UAH finally made it to Cornell!!!

After the bus ride from hell, (left campus Wed ~ 8pm arrived Cornell Fri at 11:30am) trailer problem in Kentucky, then dodging a ton of "lake effect" snow and weather across New York. They never left the bus except to eat for that whole time. You gotta feel for them. In my book, this trip wins the record for "worst bus ride". I was on the previous winner a few years ago when it took us 24 hours to return from Robert Morris due to bus problems. We spent around 10 hours in a rest area while waiting on the bus to be repaired (at least we had good weather and could wander around outside). I can only say I'm glad I wasn't along when the new record was set!

Anyway, first game at Cornell is 7pm ET tonight (6pm Central) and you can catch the Live Stats HERE. I think both games are televised with a Cornell Redcast Subscription. You can check it out at their main hockey page HERE.

Go Big Blue!!!
                              Graduation is going to make me miss the hockey game. And yeah, I was wondering, the guys weren't exactly thrilled about leaving for this trip. I talked to a few, and they just seemed to know this particular ride was going to be bad. I feel for them, I've done those drives, and they leave you hurting for days. Maybe they can vent a little frustration on the Cornell team in the way of an upset or two.

Comment

Ugh. 40 hours on a bus is the seventh circle of hell. I won't exactly wish them good luck tonight, but they have my sympathy.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X