Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
    It's not loud at all. It does get a little boring for adults after 3 or 4 laps but kids seem to really like the ride. If you're intersted send me an email with your names and I'll see what I can do... I'm assuming you're at all the home games. If not, include a list of the home games you'll be able to make. (Just click on my name to send me an email)
    Thanks for the offer, but we actually live in North Carolina -- we made the trip to Huntsville specifically to see that series (I was suffering from Charger hockey withdrawl). I don't think we'll be able to make any more games this season (unless I get that private jet for Christmas).
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
      I'd definitely consider it. I'm hoping I can go to 2012 in Tampa simply because it's UAH hosting -- which begs the question, would UAH consider being the host school for a Nashville Frozen Four (assuming 2012 goes well)? Or is a host school even necessary?
      Michael Napier - UAH '97
      uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
        [W]ould UAH consider being the host school for a Nashville Frozen Four (assuming 2012 goes well)? Or is a host school even necessary?
        I don't know how much money is involved from the University's perspective, so it's uncertain; of course, it's easier to staff Nashville than Tampa, because you could have auxiliary staff drive up if needed, rather than having to overstaff just-in-case.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
          which begs the question, would UAH consider being the host school for a Nashville Frozen Four (assuming 2012 goes well)? Or is a host school even necessary?
          I am 1000% behind this entire idea. Only stipulation I'd add is Vandy has to sponsor it, and schedule an announcement they're adding varsity hockey at the same time... That would give me a fantastic excuse to visit you folks again (oh, and my sister and her alma mater too).
          Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
          B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
          CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
          ECAC:
          HEA: UMass
          NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
          Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving
            Charger Fans!
            Doug
            UAH 1974
            Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
            Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
            Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
            Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
            Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
              I am 1000% behind this entire idea. Only stipulation I'd add is Vandy has to sponsor it, and schedule an announcement they're adding varsity hockey at the same time... That would give me a fantastic excuse to visit you folks again (oh, and my sister and her alma mater too).
              Or get Slive up there to announce that the SEC is adding ice hockey as a conference sport and accepting UAH and Kennesaw State as affiliate members.

/wishful thinking
              UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
              2006 Time Person of the Year
              Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
              It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

If you're sitting on the fence about attending in Nashville, until 5 PM today tix are half price through the Predators website...

http://predators.nhl.com/club/page.h...rom=SPLASH_FRI

You can get tickets on the 200 level for $4.75 (plus the ticketmaster fees)

D
                -----
                Proud Member UAH Blue Line Club
                UAH Pep Band Member -> Asst Dir -> Dir : 1991-2007
                UAH Game Operations Staff: 2007 -> ?

Comment

6-2 UAH over UConn. I'll take it, happily so. Where's our offense been hiding? I wasn't even around the last time we put up 6 in a regular season game.... the last was Feb 1st, 2008 against Robert Morris. (I started attending UAH later that summer).

Heck, the last 5 goal offensive splurge from us came way back in January of 2009 against Niagara (Jan 31, 09) and Robert Morris (Jan 9, 09).

Anyone actually get to see the game?

Oh and I wish they'd call us either AL-Huntsville or Ala-Huntsville. Alab-Huntsville looks horrible.

Comment

If you look at the box, Lou busted up everything. Even Cseter and Desmet were split up for the first time in their UAH career.

Seabass took another *********g CTH major. At this rate Shane Stewart is going to be long forgotten. He has to have shattered the season record for major penalties, and has to be coming in on the season PIM mark before the halfway point in the season. I'm beyond done. This team needs to roll four lines to be fresh enough to grind out a 60-minute game, and when they're down to 11 forwards just 6:35 into the game, ...

Don't get me wrong. I love Seabass's intensity. I love that he brings energy every time he hits the ice. I love that he chirps and get in other teams' heads. I do not love that he hasn't figured out that the refs Really Do Give a Crap About Contact to the Head this year and adjust his game accordingly. He's better than this but just flat-out isn't playing like it.

Glad Ruffles broke out and had a good game. I hadn't been terribly impressed this season. I'm hoping that it's the start of something good for him, because he was arguably the best center at the end of last year [him or Cees, take your pick].

I'm glad for a good 60-minute effort. The guys needed it. But UConn's a bottom-half Atlantic Hockey squad, and they go to Lynah next weekend, one of the toughest places to play in all of college hockey. Cornell seems to be having a down year, but it's their barn. UAH is the only team to play consecutive nights at Cornell this season.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                      Seabass took another *********g CTH major. At this rate Shane Stewart is going to be long forgotten. He has to have shattered the season record for major penalties, and has to be coming in on the season PIM mark before the halfway point in the season. I'm beyond done. This team needs to roll four lines to be fresh enough to grind out a 60-minute game, and when they're down to 11 forwards just 6:35 into the game, ...

Don't get me wrong. I love Seabass's intensity. I love that he brings energy every time he hits the ice. I love that he chirps and get in other teams' heads. I do not love that he hasn't figured out that the refs Really Do Give a Crap About Contact to the Head this year and adjust his game accordingly. He's better than this but just flat-out isn't playing like it.

Glad Ruffles broke out and had a good game. I hadn't been terribly impressed this season. I'm hoping that it's the start of something good for him, because he was arguably the best center at the end of last year [him or Cees, take your pick].
                      I'm certainly not going to disagree with you on your assessment, though I think I'd vote for Cees personally on best center last spring but you're right in that it's close.

The record for the team in PIMs is 186 in a season by Stewart, who had a record 467 in his career with the Chargers. He averaged 4.11 PIM per game, well ahead of just about anyone else in the top 10.

Seabass is at 89 as of today with more than half the schedule remaining. He had just 18 PIM last year in 23 games, meaning his current rate is 2.97 per game, still good enough for a likely top 10 finish in all time PIM at UAH. But if he keeps up at this blazing pace (6.85 per game) for 2010-2011 onward he will give Stewart a run for the record by his Senior year. I don't exactly relish that idea. Here's the breakdown:

10/07/10 - Ferris State
                      5-Min Major - Contact to the Head
                      10-Min - Misconduct

10/08/10 - Ferris State
                      2-Min Minor - Unsportsmanlike Conduct

10/15/10 @ Wisconsin
                      10-Min - Game Misconduct

10/17/10 @ Wisconsin
                      No Penalties

10/22/10 @ Bowling Green
                      2-Min Minor - Hooking

10/23/10 @ Bowling Green
                      No Penalties

10/29/10 @ Michigan State
                      2-Min Minor - Tripping
                      2-Min Minor - Charging

10/30/10 @ Michigan State
                      2-Min Minor - Charging
                      5-Min Major - Charging

11/05/10 @ Ohio State
                      2-Min Minor - Hooking
                      10-Min - Misconduct

11/06/10 @ Ohio State
                      No Penalties

11/12/10 - Providence
                      2-Min Minor - Charging
                      5-Min Major - Checking from Behind
                      10-Min - Game Misconduct

11/13/10 - Providence
                      Player Suspended.

11/26/10 vs. Bowling Green
                      No Penalties

11/27/10 vs. Connecticut
                      10-Min - Game Misconduct

Summary:
                      7 2-min minor penalties
                      5 5-min major penalties
                      5 10-min misconducts/game misconducts

The occasional infraction happens, and I can forgive most 2 minute things in a player (more easily if the PK does it's job), though I've never had much truck with getting Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalties. But it's the nearly every other game majors and misconducts that are absolutely unacceptable. We're not even talking fighting majors here, we're talking about hits to the head and other plays that have been the subject of a lot of open debate in the NCAA (as well as the NHL, AHL, and other leagues). The refs have been told to call it, and for the most part they've been right to do so. You can't play with that disregard for the rules or the other players anymore, and even though we're fond of him and the energy he brings, I can't in good conscious support seeing him on the ice unless he can show that he's learned to control his hits. It's not good for the team when he gets tossed, as then they've all got to work harder, and it's not good for the program to be known as goons. When the next most penalized players have just 24 minutes halfway through the season, less than 1/3rd of the leader, you must put your foot down. Heck, the rest of the team COMBINED has only 196 PIM, and 48 of those belong to deBruyn and Desmet (24 each). Of those other 94 penalties, only one of those (Desmet's Misconduct @ OSU) is a major or misconduct penalty.

Comment

Nice to hear about the win over UConn. From the sounds of things, the team played its best game of the year?

Comment

Pick your All-Decade Team! I'll accept entries here as well.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
                            6-2 UAH over UConn. I'll take it, happily so. Where's our offense been hiding? I wasn't even around the last time we put up 6 in a regular season game.... the last was Feb 1st, 2008 against Robert Morris. (I started attending UAH later that summer).

Heck, the last 5 goal offensive splurge from us came way back in January of 2009 against Niagara (Jan 31, 09) and Robert Morris (Jan 9, 09).

Anyone actually get to see the game?

Oh and I wish they'd call us either AL-Huntsville or Ala-Huntsville. Alab-Huntsville looks horrible.
                            I listened to the games via RPI's radio crew. Saturday's game was one of the more "refreshing" games I've heard in a long time. TWENTY shots on goal in the second period?! Nice.
                            Michael Napier - UAH '97
                            uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Talbie got his second shutout, and didn't hurt himself this time.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

I know I'm a Merrimack fan, but do any of the UAH fans know the promotional codes for the games in Nashville? Thanks for any help in advance.

Comment

Working...
                                X