Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Annoying Commercials 2: Searching for the MUTE button

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    I read something a while ago, talking about these "famous" commercial actors/characters and what they do outside of those spots. Most of them are stage actors, usually with comedey troupes. A couple of them have had small guest parts on various TV shows. "Lily" is on a YahooTV original series called Other Space, directed by Paul Feig. It uses a few of those commercial actors and tosses them into a show, probably for dirt cheap, based upon what I saw. The annoying hipster guy form the Verizon commercials where the two coworkers are driving across the country, and Lily from AT&T. I don't recognize any of the other actors on the show except for Dave Franco, who made a single episode guest appearance.
    Yes, I recently read something similar about the brunette on the Geico ads, don't know her "ad name" but she plays a call center person, or at least uses a headset as a prop.

And this phenomenon isn't limited to commercial characters. I had to see Marisa Tomei many, many, times before I could see anyone but Mona Lisa Vito. For the commercial characters, it's probably ubiquity; for Tomei et al., it's probably one brilliant acting performance followed by some meh performances.

Comment

Polaroid Swinger from 1971. Recognize the dark haired actress? Think Harvard hockey.

https://youtu.be/URfXaH5sm0c
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
        Do you feel the same about "DirecTV Hannah"?

I absolutely despise the GoDaddy twerking spot
        I'm pretty sure I'd watch a 30-minute sitcom of Hannah Davis walking a horse down a beach. lol
        St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

DirecTV has had some truly awful commercials in the last year. Hannah and Rob Lowe were the worst.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            DirecTV has had some truly awful commercials in the last year. Hannah and Rob Lowe were the worst.
            Rob Lowe was hilarious in those commercials. The Hannah ones are nice for eye candy, but other than that...
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

"If the Italian flag does not already have a Loaded Italian Sandwich on it, someone phone the Pope. Arby's has an idea."

1. The Pope doesn't rule Italy and hasn't had any significant stake in Italian land for almost 150 years.
              2. The Pope doesn't even live in Italy.

How does this stuff make it through the ad agencies?
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I could watch Hannah and the Wendy's girl all day.

The new KFC Colonel Sanders commercials are flat-out creepy.
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                  "If the Italian flag does not already have a Loaded Italian Sandwich on it, someone phone the Pope. Arby's has an idea."

1. The Pope doesn't rule Italy and hasn't had any significant stake in Italian land for almost 150 years.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

Dumb Americans are dumb.

Comment

What percentage of Americans do you think actually know that Vatican City is a nation separate from Italy? I'm willing to wager it's not really that high.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Norm Macdonald is the new colonel for KFC.
                        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I don't even know what they're doing now. Are they trying to be ironic, are they being serious, what the hell is going on?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                            I don't even know what they're doing now. Are they trying to be ironic, are they being serious, what the hell is going on?
                            Actually, yes, they are. I didn't get the whole story, but they're doing something like that.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              Actually, yes, they are. I didn't get the whole story, but they're doing something like that.
                              They basically want attention, good or bad. They flat out said it. If they are being discussed, then they are on the consumer's mind.

I think it's stupid, but *shrug* I'm not in marketing.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

"And a...*gum smack* uhhh...big ol' cookie."
                                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Working...
                                X