X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    In defense of the metro... choose your time... rush hour is rush hour... I get on a train at 7 and its crammed... I get on a train at 9 its better though not great. Get on a train around 4:30 PM... rush hour... get on at 7-7:30... easy sailing... probably the best part of going to the gym is not having to deal with the crush
    Bad sentence by me - I love the Metro. While taking the train in during the FF several people mentioned to us the trains were packed the weekend before, which I guess was during the height of the cherry blossom dealio, and many had to wait several hours to board.

We had no problems getting a the yellow/green (IIRC) into DC at 9 or 10 during the FF.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

So, should we discuss travel questions relating to the Detroit Frozen Four here, or should that get its own thread since there will (presumably) be a pretty large number of us going there?
      Cornell University Men's Hockey
      NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
      Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
        So, should we discuss travel questions relating to the Detroit Frozen Four here, or should that get its own thread since there will (presumably) be a pretty large number of us going there?
        Well, I suppose you could discuss it in the Detroit Frozen Four Travel Guide thread.
        Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
        I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
        Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
          thebrain, I'm jealous in the sense that you'll be able to easily tell what is poice, security guard, etc. etc. So many different official and semi-official uniforms around the city that I think just about anybody in a uniform could claim they were a cop and i'd have a hard time not believing them.
          Should be interesting though with the 40,000 people that are expected to show up for it. Plus it's Preakness weekend at Pimlico, I don't think I'll be able to make up there, plus I've been told I shouldn't walk from the subway station to Pimlico.

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn by the Capitol. Deltavacations.com had a good rate with flight and hotel.

I work for community TV channel and one of the city's we cover had an officer shot and killed on Labor Day. We do a police show with the neighboring city, whose officer was the one that shot and killed the guy that killed the officer so I do know some of the people that I'm going with, but it's still kind of nerve racking considering I'll be covering it solo with so many people attending National Law Enforcement Memorial Week and having to get around. I expect a very large contingent from Seattle to be out as well.

Comment

We are driving to Kiawah this summer and taking our time once we get to Nashville. We have nights booked in Nashville, Gatlinburg, & Asheville before heading south toward Charleston. So far we plan to stop at Mammoth Cave, The Biltmore, and drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Any suggestions in/around the area?

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
              Well, I suppose you could discuss it in the Detroit Frozen Four Travel Guide thread.
              Haha, thanks. DI is usually a pile of annoying crap so I don't generally look there.
              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                We are driving to Kiawah this summer and taking our time once we get to Nashville. We have nights booked in Nashville, Gatlinburg, & Asheville before heading south toward Charleston. So far we plan to stop at Mammoth Cave, The Biltmore, and drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Any suggestions in/around the area?
                We enjoyed ourselves in downtown Nashville, there were several casual restaurants and plenty of music/bars...worth spending one evening.
                I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Pretty sure I'm FINALLY going to the southwest this fall (late Sept/Early Oct)
                  There are a ton of places I want to see, but places I've decided I want to see the most are The Wave
                  Antelope Canyon
                  Bryce Canyon
                  Arches National Park
                  Lake Powell
                  Monument Valley

There are many other places that I want to see/photograph as well as camp/hike..

Further down the line I'd like to visit:
                  Havasu Falls which is a 10 mile hike just west of the Grand Canyon..

Comment

I vote yes on Bryce Canyon.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                      I've always liked visiting Chattanooga.
                      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                        I vote yes on Bryce Canyon.
                        I've had thoughts of moving out there for a year and working at/near one of the parks. I'd like to spend time and photograph in all of the different seasons. Its ambitious, yes, but why not?

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                          We enjoyed ourselves in downtown Nashville, there were several casual restaurants and plenty of music/bars...worth spending one evening.
                          Thanks! We are staying one night downtown and are looking forward to it.

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                          I've always liked visiting Chattanooga.
                          Thanks.

Gibber: Arches NP is wonderful.

Comment

Lake Powell, Bryce, Zion, can't go wrong with any of those. if you like to get off the beaten path check out Natural Bridges or Hovenweep or Capitol Reef.
                            if going to Arches (near Moab) check out Dead Horse Point (its a state park) - stunning. all beautiful. love that part of the world.
                            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                              Lake Powell, Bryce, Zion, can't go wrong with any of those. if you like to get off the beaten path check out Natural Bridges or Hovenweep or Capitol Reef.
                              if going to Arches (near Moab) check out Dead Horse Point (its a state park) - stunning. all beautiful. love that part of the world.
                              All of those places are on my long list of places to visit I'm falling in love with that part of the country, and have only quickly driven through, and seen photos/read books/travel guides...

Comment

I recently spent three weeks working in Mexico. I stayed in a resort town called San Carlos. I highly recommend it. Beaches, fishing, diving....beautiful scenery. It's on the west coast, on the Gulf of California.

Active spring break town, from what I am told.
                                AKA Boguniecki 33 on the road, except at UMass Amherst, and Magness Arena, where I can't get enough of Mowers, Mowers, you s**k!

Comment

Working...
                                X