Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dean Lombardi of LA Kings Rips Jack Johnson and Univ. of Michigan

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

isn't he allowed to comment on development of players? much like people took sides with bobby bowden, just because you are a legend that doesn't necessarily mean you have a job until you die.

obviously i am not close to the michigan program to comment one way or the other if red (or bobby) still runs a tight ship. but if lombardi thinks he sees something and he is informed, why isn't he allowed to say it.

who's left to yell, "the emperor has no clothes" if we are all told to shut up?!?

Lombardi can feel however he wants. But saying what he said in public is still wrong. Saying that player "didn't get any coaching" and that "Michigan is the worst" are flat out wrong and come off as venemous and stupid. I am sure Red and his staff put hundreds of hours into coaching Johnson, and most college progams don't come anywhere close to Michigan's success in producing NHL players, so how could Michigan be the "worst"? The use of bad superlatives by Lombardi is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Puck Swami; 01-22-2010, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      It doesn't matter. Criticize the player in private if you must.

And don't ever rip his college coach in the media. Berenson is a legend, who was a former NHL Coach of the Year before reviving the Michigan program where he starred as player. Berenson has won NCAA championships and likely turned out more NHL players than any coach in America as well as graduating hundreds of players from one of the finest universities in the world over the years. The man can not only win, coach, develop and graduate players, but he does it with integrity. Red has given more to hockey than most and did not deserve that asinine attack. To rip him like that was shameful.
      GM's should never rip players in the press. I agree speak with the player and his representatives, if need be, in private. Now he has a player who will never trust him and is probably wondering how do I get out of here with some dignity? He dissed one of the dean's of college coaches who has given a lifetime to the sport at all levels. I don't know if Red or the University have made any statements but they must be fuming. It just stuns me that he would make statements like this. It is one thing to criticize a player, say he hasn't played well and needs to improve in some areas but to flat out rip him is totally unfair.
      DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
        GM's should never rip players in the press. I agree speak with the player and his representatives, if need be, in private. Now he has a player who will never trust him and is probably wondering how do I get out of here with some dignity? He dissed one of the dean's of college coaches who has given a lifetime to the sport at all levels. I don't know if Red or the University have made any statements but they must be fuming. It just stuns me that he would make statements like this. It is one thing to criticize a player, say he hasn't played well and needs to improve in some areas but to flat out rip him is totally unfair.
        From Michael Spath of The Wolverine's game recap tonight:

Note: In town for Saturday night's game against the Detroit Red Wings, former Wolverine and current Los Angeles Kings' defenseman Jack Johnson took in the game. He even took a pair of shots during Michigan's second-period entertainment - Score-O.

After the game, Berenson refused comment and laughed off a question when he was asked if he'd like to respond to an article in which the Kings' general manager rips Berenson's coaching acumen and development of Johnson as a player.

As he walked away from the press conference to his team's locker room, Berenson said "You can write your own story on that" giving little reason to validate the absurdity of the initial comments.
        Michigan Hockey Net
        Follow MHNet on Twitter

NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

"'Tech' means nerd, and nerds suck at sports." - Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by du78;4581372I
          don't know if Red or the University have made any statements but they must be fuming. It just stuns me that he would make statements like this. It is one thing to criticize a player, say he hasn't played well and needs to improve in some areas but to flat out rip him is totally unfair.
          Red won't address it, according to the Detroit newspaper. He has way too much dignity and well-earned stature to stoop to Lombardi's level. I hope some other college coaches and NHL people defend Red here, because I'd hate to see Lombardi be able to get away with comments like that.

Comment

Good for Red as he is taking the high road. No reason to inflame the situation anymore.
            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
              He insinuates that all GMs in the NHL agree with him.

Bad form by this guy. Can't imagine what he was thinking. Extremely unprofessional and uncalled for.
              i didn't take "for hockey people" to mean that. but if someone does, ok.

Lombardi can feel however he wants. But saying what he said in public is still wrong. Saying that player "didn't get any coaching" and that "Michigan is the worst" are flat out wrong and come off as venemous and stupid. I am sure Red and his staff put hundreds of hours into coaching Johnson, and most college progams don't come anywhere close to Michigan's success in producing NHL players, so how could Michigan be the "worst"? The use of bad superlatives by Lombardi is ridiculous.
              i heard about this the other day....(in our recruiting thread) what brought this on? we only see the 'highlight' here. i'm sure it was about JJ's play, but the entire interview would be nice to see as well and how it collapsed into this. no doubt more than meets the eye.
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                i didn't take "for hockey people" to mean that. but if someone does, ok.

i heard about this the other day....(in our recruiting thread) what brought this on? we only see the 'highlight' here. i'm sure it was about JJ's play, but the entire interview would be nice to see as well and how it collapsed into this. no doubt more than meets the eye.
                Whole story here:

http://frozenroyalty.net/2010/01/20/...aft-belatedly/

Comment

As a young lady I know found out the hard way, don't say bad stuff about Michigan to the press. They'll find out about it.
                  St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                    As a young lady I know found out the hard way...
                    Dammit. I would have bet a million dollars that this sentence ended with "herpes stay with you forever".
                    Originally posted by dicaslover
                    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

In principle, I think it's productive for NHL execs. to engage in meaningful dialogue with college coaches that results in both parties providing constructive and appropriate feedback. I think that type of dialogue can help forge a much needed, knowledgeable and enduring networking relationship between NCAA college hockey programs and the NHL.

However, Lombardi's stereotypical comments regarding the whole of the UM hockey program and Red Berenson were unprofessional and caustic. IMO he recklessly overreacted and 1) failed to make a valid longitudinal assessment of UM storied hockey program based upon overall results, 2) unjustly criticized Red Berenson's overall abilities as a coach and committed a gross non sequitur, 3) failed to recognize and acknowledge his committment to JJ's progressive and specialized development as a long term investment and process in the NHL, 4) exhibited unrealistic expectations of NHL caliber development for a student athlete at the college level, and 5) inappropriately made critical generalizations regarding a college coach's ability and methodologies openly to the media instead of handling his specific concerns in a more professional, respectful and dignified manner that builds bridges not destroys them.

Like the Garth Snow/Lucia incident a couple years ago, unprofessional communication at this level is inexcusable. The outcome results in widening the chasm of an already strained relationship between the NHL and NCAA college hockey. Unfortunate incidents such as these continue to unveil the inability of some NHL execs. to ethically and professionally handle a prioi knowledge and demonstrate the character qualities necessary to reconcile conflicts and/or concerns in a professionally appropriate manner. The game of hockey is more than a balance sheet and marketing. It's a game that involves personnel at all levels, each of whom have an individual right to be treated with nonmaleficence and benevolence in the public eye.
                      Last edited by HarleyMC; 01-23-2010, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Uncalled for? Yes.
                        Unprofessional? Yes.
                        Venomous? Yes.

"This guy has never had any coaching [at the University of Michigan]," said Lombardi of Johnson during the interview. "Jack just did what he wanted."

"Michigan is the worst." continued Lombardi. "For hockey people, if you've got a choice between a kid - all things being equal - one's going to Michigan and one's going to Boston University, you all want your player [going to Boston University]."

"Jack was a thoroughbred out there. But he was all over the place. He was awful as a hockey player."
                        Accurate? I have to say, that's the JJ I remember. Stupid penalties, selfish, a real primma dona.
                        maize is just an arrogant shade of yellow

Comment

and for the rest of the context (he speaks much better of him at the end):
                          During his two seasons at the University of Michigan, Johnson played as a rover, rather than as a defenseman, even though that was his official position.

“Jack was a thoroughbred out there,” Lombardi explained. “But he was all over the place. He was awful as a hockey player. As an athlete, you’re going, wow! Look at the way he skates, shoots, he can pass. But he had no idea where he was going.

“At times, he was playing forward at Michigan,” Lombardi elaborated. “You had no idea what position he was playing. But he had always been the star and he always got his numbers. Then he turns pro and for the first time, we’re telling him ‘whoa, just make the first pass and learn to play in your own end.’ How about making a read in your own end about the right guy to pick up? He was awful.”

Indeed, the miscues and blown coverages, especially in the defensive zone, were glaring—Johnson was a defensive liability.

“It was a big risk for us to trade for him,” said Lombardi. “There was all that hype and stuff because he’s just like a thoroughbred. It’s like looking at a horse and saying wow! But then he gets on the track and he has no clue how to run the race. He might even run in the wrong direction. That was Jack. [He was] really raw.

Like many young players loaded with talent and skill, Johnson could not believe it when criticism came his way.

“Here again, you’ve got a kid who’s got to change his game and he can change a game, going end-to-end, getting you out of your own end,” Lombardi noted. “It was like, ‘you’re not good enough at that not to do these other things that you’ve never done.’ Now try and convince him of that after [he has] been told how great [he is throughout his] life, [he has] played in the US Development Program, [he was] at Michigan, everything [was] great, great, great. Now [he is] in the pros and it’s ‘what do you mean? I’m Jack Johnson.’

“He struggled with it,” Lombardi added. “‘What do you mean, you’re criticizing me?’ Yeah, [I am]. When these kids come up now, this might seem totally abnormal to you, because anyone else growing up probably got slapped around [figuratively speaking] as you were learning your career or anything you’re learning. But these kids are all told how great they are.”

“He didn’t start believing that [he] might have to start doing this until the middle of last season. [Kings head coach Terry Murray, also known as Murph] is a great teacher. Thank God for Murph. He was really a smart player, nowhere near as talented. [He told Jack to] slow down and take it a step at a time. Slowly, he’s gotten better. He’s certainly had his ups and downs. But that’s why he made the Olympic team, because this guy is hard to play against.”

Indeed, Johnson has improved enough that other NHL general managers on USA Hockey’s selection committee named Johnson to Team USA for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver, British Columbia in February.

“What’s good about it was that [Johnson] was eleventh on the depth chart at the beginning of the year,” said Lombardi. “By November, he had risen to the top eight, and in Jack’s case, he went from ten to eight, to seven.”

“Two weeks ago, at the [NHL] Board of Governors meeting, [we met] and I couldn’t promote my own guy, so the other guys would come in—it was out of my hands,” added Lombardi. “[Johnson] was in the top six on everybody’s ballot. I was really proud of him.”

That is certainly indicative of how far Johnson has come in a relatively short time.

“Jack Johnson, three years ago, was all highlight film stuff,” said Lombardi. “But the trouble is, the highlight film stuff was only once every three games. In between, it was all fire drills. [He just had to] simplify [his game]. No highlights. The highlights will come back once you start to simplify.”

“For him to transition from highlight film to doing all this other stuff, you’re not getting that high-end stuff right now while he’s learning,” added Lombardi. “But you’re hoping the [solid defensive play] becomes second nature. He still has to think about it. But when that becomes second nature, now recognize when you can put on your show.

This season, Johnson continues to make the wrong read and blow defensive coverages. But he is improving slowly—he still has a long way to go before anyone can say he is a solid NHL defenseman.

“It’s still a work in progress,” Lombardi admitted. “I’ve had a lot of young defensemen. They’re always hard to break in anyway. He’s been unique because, like I said, he was a thoroughbred who just ran.

“I think his learning curve is going to continue to go up,” added Lombardi. “It hasn’t spiked. I think every area of his game has improved, but it has to continue.”
                          maize is just an arrogant shade of yellow

Comment

Originally posted by Gomer View Post
                            Uncalled for? Yes.
                            Unprofessional? Yes.
                            Venomous? Yes.

Accurate? I have to say, that's the JJ I remember. Stupid penalties, selfish, a real primma dona.
                            I guess my question is, is that more on Jack just not listening or not caring or on Red for not punishing him for it?
                            Either way, Lombardi crossed a line and Red handled it the right way.
                            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Like the NCAA commercial says, "Over 300,000 kids play a D 1 sport, most will never earn a cent playing it"

It is not the NCAA's job to develop nhl players, which is a different style of play and which only a very, very small percent of D 1 players ever play

Comments were made by a fool who went to Elmyra. Mich is ten times the school and Red is ten times the man

PS, LA Kings suck and hav never won crap

Comment

Originally posted by Gomer View Post
                                Uncalled for? Yes.
                                Unprofessional? Yes.
                                Venomous? Yes.

Guilty on all counts... but compare his numbers from his freshman year to his sophomore year. Markedly improved, including his +/- rating. We Michigan fans agree that his play did not typify the standard team play and certainly didn't appreciate his defensive deficiencies... but there is more to this story than Lombardi lampooning JJ's development, or Berenson's perceived lack of constraint on he (and a couple other NHL talented players...)

This guy has a hard on for Michigan because of the tenuous relationship between Berenson and the LA Kings organization and their draftees...or acquired draftees... like Tambellini, Cammalleri, Johnson, (Lewis), Czarnik. You see a pattern here? This uber-arrogant attitude that their minor league systems- be it the CHL or the AHL are better development grounds for up and coming NHL talents is baseless, and yet they managed to pluck all of these kids out of Michigan's roster early. This has become more than business with Lombardi, it is personal... and he is a donkey's tail for it.

Oh, and before you get all pompous, why don't you have Conboy and Tropp check in with their parole officer. He's calling.

Comment

Working...
                                X