X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey III

Originally posted by LLL View Post
    The third one between Warroad and Chisago Lakes will be, too. Final qf game may be the closest game with Alex and Faribault.
    Chisago has improved quite a bit since earlier in the year, but I suspect you're right, they probably won't be able to keep it close against the mighty Warriors.

I agree that the Alex - Faribault tilt should be a pretty evenly matched affair.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      Chisago has improved quite a bit since earlier in the year...
      Forget that, Chisago Lakes could not keep it close, 11-1 Warroad.

Comment

http://www.twincities.com/prep/ci_14456469?source=email
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          I don't know if the tourney has progressed to that point yet. The 2A is closer to that ideal than the 1A is, but I think there are still some teams that while maybe capable of winning any single game, really aren't deep/strong enough to string three straight. Hopefully, we see a good slate of games.
          Sir, I believe that could be taken as an insult to somebody somewhere.
          If I weren't scared of getting the whatfor for being insensitive and mean I'd offer my opinion that Lakeville No. and Burnsville have no chance and Irondale and PHM very little chance, and the tournament will be decided between the other 4 teams.

Class A only has one very good team this year, Breck. (Roseau moved up and Blake is rebuilding). Warroad is something else again--nobody is sure what to do with them, they go way beyond being a good Class A team. But one thing is clear--it's going to be a very uncomfortable Class A tournament for the folks at MSHSL.

If you are stuck at the office, by the way, you can listen in streaming audio, at:
          www.mnsportsnetwork.com
          Last edited by capitalist; 02-25-2010, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by capitalist View Post
            Sir, I believe that could be taken as an insult to somebody somewhere.
            If I weren't scared of getting the whatfor for being insensitive and mean I'd offer my opinion that Lakeville No. and Burnsville have no chance and Irondale and PHM very little chance, and the tournament will be decided between the other 4 teams.
            capitalist, if you look at the boy's tournament - unanimously considered the best high school hockey tournament in the country - you also have a few teams every year that have little chance of winning. That's just the way it is, given the MSHSL's preference to have all geographic areas of the state represented.

If anything, we are fortunate in the girls AA tourney this year to have at least 5 teams - maybe 6 - represented that have a decent to excellent chance of winning it. And although they are not a favorite, I do put Irondale in that group.

P.S. Irondale is leading Lakeville North 2-0 after 1.

Comment

Agreed, this is a good collection.
              What's really been impressive about this season were the outstanding section tournaments. Section 4 matchups of RV-SW and WBL-HM plus the final of RV-HM were terrific. Tight games all thru in Sec. 7 and 8 gave us 2 very good northern teams. Upsets on both sides of the bracket in Sec. 3 plus the big upset in Sec. 1. Irondale had to win 2 games in OT to advance. And Hopkins had 2 wars to win vs. BSM and Minnetonka to earn their spot. There were lots of good teams this year and slowly but surely we're seeing hot rivalries created in the sections--that's what's always been special on the boys' side: Edina-Minnetonka, Roseau-Warroad (before the split), East-Grand Rapids, WB-HM, like that.

Comment

Afternoon games

Irondale 4
                Lakeville North 1

Edina 4
                Roseau 2

At the first period break of USA-Canada

Roseville has scored at 6:25 and again at 6:55 of the first to lead Proctor-Hermantown-Marshall by 2-0
                Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                  Afternoon games
                  Roseville has scored at 6:25 and again at 6:55 of the first to lead Proctor-Hermantown-Marshall by 2-0
                  Roseville 5 PHM 0 at end of 1st

Comment

USA-Canada second intermission (WHAT A GAME!!)

End of 2

Roseville 4
                    PHM 2

They must have waved one off at the end of the period or something.
                    Last edited by ManBehindTheCurtain; 02-25-2010, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey III

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                      End of 2
                      Roseville 4
                      PHM 2
                      They must have waved one off at the end of the period or something.
                      They must have, as MSHSL had it 5-0 at end of 1st.
                      Final
                      Roseville 7 PHM 2

Here's the box score:
                      # Prd Time Team Typ Scored By Assists Visitor On Ice Home On Ice
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      1 1st 06:25 ROSE EV Stecklein, Lee - 7,17,4,12,2 8,16,12,4,11
                      2 1st 06:55 ROSE EV Brausen, Bethany - 14,16,5,9,3 16,12,21,11,5
                      3 1st 13:48 ROSE EV Brodt,Hanna Duellman, Allie 14,16,3,8,5 6,12,4,3,5
                      4 1st 14:38 ROSE EV Capistrant, Kayla Duellman, Allie 15,14,9,3,12 11,12,14,21,16
                      5 2nd 11:35 PROC EV Fox, Abbey Fawcett, Reilly 20,2,16,3 14,3,6,8
                      6 2nd 14:33 PROC PP Stauber, Emma Mathews, Nichole 7,17,14,3,5 5,6,12,11
                      Gilbert, Julia
                      7 3rd 00:53 ROSE PP Capistrant, Kayla - 14,7,3,2 11,12,7,5,4
                      8 3rd 08:17 ROSE EV Flug,Kate - 5,3,17,7,8 3,5,12,21,6
                      9 3rd 14:20 ROSE EV Capistrant, Kayla Duellman, Allie 7,20,11,5,9 11,12,27,16,23

Comment

Hopkins beats Burnsville.

Comment

Should be two great semi-final games tomorrow evening:

#2 Irondale vs. #3 Edina @6:00 pm
                          #1 Roseville vs. #4 Hopkins @8:00 pm

I went to the games this afternoon and was really impressed with the tremendous turnout that Irondale had - it looked like their whole student body showed up and I'm sure it gave their team a little extra spark. Tomorrow night it will be interesting to see if Edina's defense and overall team depth can stop Nos. 17 and 20, or at least stop them enough.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            Tomorrow night it will be interesting to see if Edina's defense and overall team depth can stop Nos. 17 and 20, or at least stop them enough.
                            Edina needs to stay out of the box. Roseau didn't have enough horses to stay with them, but the Hornets kept helping with PP opps. It will be tough for Irondale to win three straight in three days skating just two lines. IMO, they had one of the two most dominant players of the day in Meghan Lorence, with the other being Cara Johnson. Lorence was awesome early, but as the game progressed, it looked like the Knights lost some energy and Lakeville North caught up.

Roseville was the best team in the quarters -- they have a lot weapons. But Hopkins has an interesting mix of scorers, experience, and goaltending, so an upset is a definite possibility.

I agree that the potential for good semis does exist; I hope they turn out that way.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

AA

Edina 4
                              Irondale 1

Roseville 3
                              Hopkins 1

A

Breck 5
                              S. St. Paul 1

Warroad 10
                              Alexandria 0

Comment

Its shapping up to be two exciting Championship games on Saturday.

Breck and Warroad are two teams that can compete in 2A (Warroad is the #1 ranked team of all teams 1A and 2A) and are without question the best of the Class 1A teams. There has already been some bulletin board material. The Breck coach said something to the effect that if Warroad can match Breck's skating skill it will be a good game. The Warroad coach laughed and referred to him as Coach "Milli Vanilli" (his name is Lenny Vanelli).

In 2A, many would say that Edina and Roseville are the two best teams or at least the two deepest teams. Both teams are loaded with talent and roll three lines consistently. Roseville is heavily favored. In order for Edina to win they will have to stay out of the penalty box and hope their Ms. Hockey Goalie candidate plays her best game.

If you are a fan of women's hockey, these championship games are must see games.

Comment

Working...
                                X