This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey III

It's tourney time...if the Knights get the chance, they might just give a powerhouse a game.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by capitalist View Post
      1) Irondale plays in the weakest of the Twin Cities' AA-type conferences.

2) Irondale's non-conference schedule was embarrassingly weak.

6) Irondale played in and won a good Christmas tournament, but the only other good non-conference foe they had this season beat them 8-3. Rightly or wrong, it's a running joke around arenas that Irondale has a very weak schedule.
      Originally posted by brookyone View Post
      It's tourney time...if the Knights get the chance, they might just give a powerhouse a game.
      I was at the above referenced 8-3 game.

I agree with brookyone.

Irondale might be a tad overrated but they are not hugely overrated. They have two good lines, each anchored by a sure Division I player. They are plenty capable of playing with anyone in the state.

It remains to be seen whether they have sufficient depth to do it three days in a row. They did it three days in a row at the holiday tournament, I see no reason to assume that they cannot do it again.

I think Roseville very legitimately deserves their number 1 ranking and the number 1 seed in this tournament. Nothing is automatic though, there is a reason why they actually play the games before awarding the trophies.
      Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

7) I have no idea why I'm explaining all this to someone from New Hampshire, who shouldn't care less about the MN HS tournament.
        People in this thread whether from Minnesota, some other state, Canada, or beyond, are here because they have an interest in hockey. They probably don't know as much about the inner workings as you. But we also don't know you, or your personality. Some people joke, some grumble, and it isn't always obvious which is which. You can answer, or not, but you don't get to decide what people should care about.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

7) I have no idea why I'm explaining all this to someone from New Hampshire, who shouldn't care less about the MN HS tournament.
          Gee, it might have something to do with the fact DC knows a number of players and their parents from some of the tourney teams, including Irondale, Hopkins and the recently departed Hill-Murray.

Comment

Star Tribune All-Metro awards:

1st Team
            http://www.startribune.com/sports/pr...Unciaec8O7EyUs

2nd and 3rd Teams
            http://www.startribune.com/sports/pr...Unciaec8O7EyUs
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

OK, my fault, bad joke. Or at least too much of an inside joke to be expected to be taken that way. Sorry DC, of course you deserve an explanation.

I have nothing against Irondale. We've just been joking about their schedule all year long, me and mine privately, others more openly on the HS forum. Then when there is one 'cinderella' team that makes the tournament, with a sub-.500 record, out of the blue, considered to be a fluke, who should get the draw for that team but Irondale. Isn't that kind of funny? No?

Of course anybody can win this tournament, that's taken for granted. In fact, in the Edina Thanksgiving tournament, Irondale would have been a darkhorse alongside the likes of Edina, HM, and Hopkins, yet they won that one.

Comment

Of course anybody can win this tournament, that's taken for granted.
                I don't know if the tourney has progressed to that point yet. The 2A is closer to that ideal than the 1A is, but I think there are still some teams that while maybe capable of winning any single game, really aren't deep/strong enough to string three straight. Hopefully, we see a good slate of games.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post

Star Tribune All Metro Team
                  KALLIE BILLADEAU
                  Hopkins, goalie, senior
                  Billadeau, a first-team selection last season, got even stingier. She allowed two fewer goals (34) than last season and improved her save percentage almost 20 points (.954). Opponents scored more than one goal on Billadeau, a Syracuse recruit, in only eight of her 26 starts.

GINA MCDONALD
                  Irondale, forward, senior
                  A key cog in Irondale's past two state tournament teams, tallying a combined 83 goals and 73 assists during that span. Technically sound, McDonald elevated her game in the section playoffs, scoring two game-winning goals and assisting on another. Will play at Harvard next year.

CORINNE BUIE
                  Edina, forward, senior
                  Big, strong forward led Edina with 36 goals. Rarely separated from the puck. Providence recruit scored two goals in each of the Hornets' three section playoff victories. Carried over her scoring prowess from the soccer field, where she tallied 33 goals last fall.

BETHANY BRAUSEN
                  Roseville, forward, senior
                  A two-time captain and vocal leader, Brausen led the Raiders, ranked No. 1 in Class 2A for much of the season, with 33 goals and 64 points. The Gophers recruit tallied a hat trick in the playoffs against defending state champion Stillwater.

MILICA MCMILLEN
                  Breck, defense, sophomore
                  Contributed to the offense with 16 goals and a team-best 35 assists. Possessing a booming shot, McMillen does her part on the defensive end as well. Breck allowed three or more goals in only four games. Named to the all-tournament team at state as an eighth-grader.

ROSIE ALLEVA
                  Red Wing, defense, senior
                  Princeton recruit is a smooth skater with keen offensive instincts. Hard worker whose dead-eye shot stems from daily 5 a.m. shooting practice. Scored 31 goals and 26 assists. Rarely leaves the ice.

SECOND TEAM
                  Forwards
                  Hannah Brant, Hill-Murray, soph., 42 G, 36 A-78 pts.
                  Meghan Lorence, Irondale, junior, 46-36-82
                  Rachel Ramsey, Minnetonka, junior, 22-23-45
                  Defensemen
                  Allie Duellman, Roseville, senior, 13-23-36 - Bemidji State
                  Audrey Hanmer, Forest Lake, junior, 17-18-35
                  Goalie
                  Marah Sobczak, Stillwater, senior, .914 save pct.

THIRD TEAM
                  Forwards
                  Rachael Bona, Coon Rapids, junior, 33-21-54
                  Jordyn Burns, Benilde-St. Margaret's, junior, 31-21-52
                  Amanda Colin, Burnsville, senior, 40-27-67 - Quinnipiac
                  Hillary Crowe, Blake, junior, 35-48-83
                  Defensemen
                  Laurel Miller, Totino-Grace, senior 16-23-39 - Wisconsin
                  Maggie Pendleton, Hill-Murray, senior 12-22-34 - Providence
                  Goalie
                  Julie Friend, Minnetonka, junior, .9452 save pct.
                  Last edited by joehockey; 02-23-2010, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Forgive me for trespassing again, and thanks for the explanations and defense!

One of the reasons I read these threads that may appear to be irrelevant to us folk from Cow Hampshire is because inevitably, in the course of 40 or 50 NCAA games I see during a season, and the 6 - 8 U-18 or U-19 tourneys I go to, (including Chowder Cup, where I met and watched some of the All Metro Team) I either have seen or will see these players.

I just find that a little background makes it all more enjoyable.

It is difficult to tell a joke, sarcasm... from the outside in these forums, but if you use one of those roll eye faces, it helps I think the reason the comments struck me as harsh stem more from the fact that the players are not responsible for where they are seeded, but the comment seemed to be blaming or insulting them.

Thanks, I get the joke now
                    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                      Forgive me for trespassing again, and thanks for the explanations and defense!

One of the reasons I read these threads that may appear to be irrelevant to us folk from Cow Hampshire is because inevitably, in the course of 40 or 50 NCAA games I see during a season, and the 6 - 8 U-18 or U-19 tourneys I go to, (including Chowder Cup, where I met and watched some of the All Metro Team) I either have seen or will see these players.

I just find that a little background makes it all more enjoyable.

It is difficult to tell a joke, sarcasm... from the outside in these forums, but if you use one of those roll eye faces, it helps I think the reason the comments struck me as harsh stem more from the fact that the players are not responsible for where they are seeded, but the comment seemed to be blaming or insulting them.

Thanks, I get the joke now
                      We forgive your trespass as we hope you forgive our trespasses against you and your Eastern bretheren. Its nice to hear from the outside especially at this time when cabin fever is running high.

Comment

As most in MN know 3500 or so girls play HS hockey while the rest of the country has U19AAA and USA Hockey. MN does have 3 U19AAA teams sanctioned by MN Hockey/USA Hockey the MN Throughbreds in the Twin Cites made up of talented grisl from the metro and W Wisconisn looking to develop their hockey skills they played in the JWHL this season and had a good year; Shattuck St Mary's big commitment by famalies players to develop their hockey skills some from MN but +90% aren't very successful placement/concentration of D1 players; and MN Crunch which is a HS post grad team only in Grand Rapdis, MN - a few MN players but most/many are from surrounding States, only two years old and has limited success developing College Players but made big strides forward in year two - not sure the single year model can work but who knows. They play each other at the MN State U19AAA Tournament March 5-7. Below is a schedule of games - it would appear that if Thoroughbreds and SSM both beat Crunch it would be a single game to determine who represents MN at Nationals. Not sure what year Thoroughbreds last beat SSM to represent MN? Good hockey worth catching.

2010 MINNESOTA HOCKEY
                        GIRLS 19 & UNDER A PLAYOFF
                        MARCH 5, 6 AND 7, 2010

Teams: Minnesota Crunch, Minnesota Thoroughbreds, Shattuck St. Mary’s

Location: Wakota Arena, 141 6th Street South, South St. Paul, MN (651) 554-3330

First team listed is home team and will wear dark jerseys. Team with the best record advances to USA Hockey National Championships.

Friday, 3/5/10 Rink 1 MN Thoroughbreds v Minnesota Crunch 7:50-9:50 pm
                        Saturday, 3/6/10 Rink 1 Minnesota Crunch v Shattuck St. Mary’s 1:30-3:30 pm
                        Sunday, 3/7/10 Rink 1 Shattuck St. Mary’s v MN Thoroughbreds 1:20-3:20 pm

Should be some good hockey.
                        Last edited by joehockey; 02-24-2010, 10:28 AM.

Comment

http://www.startribune.com/sports/

Short video with state tournament discussion among Strib sports page staff.
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Not very competitive games so far on the first day of the state tourney.

Breck 10, New Ulm 0 - Final

South St. Paul 4, Hutchinson 0 - end of 2nd

More info and Livestats for current games available here.

Comment

The first two games were boring. The third one between Warroad and Chisago Lakes will be, too. Final qf game may be the closest game with Alex and Faribault.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                                The third one between Warroad and Chisago Lakes will be, too.
                                I'd try to just enjoy the skills on display of several of those Warriors.
                                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X