This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey III

2-2 after 2. Bji goal by Becca Gregg, Bji outshot Roseau 4-2 in the 2nd (9-8 for game). The 'Jacks are starting to take controll (IMHO).
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Not a lot of shots for a 2-2 game -- or for any game after 2 periods.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

4-2 Roseau is your Section 8AA champs. They score 2 PP goals (Nelson's 2nd and Adelle Murphy) to win. Shots end up 14-14.

Bemidji ended up giving up 2 pp goals to the Rams in each game this year, so they needed to stay out of the box. They just couldn't. Also, Bji had :44 of 5x3 affter falling behind 3-2, and couldn't tie it up.. Turning point, obviously.
        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
        B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
        CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
        ECAC:
        HEA: UMass
        NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
        Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by capitalist View Post
          The matchup of Brandt, Brandt and Doyle vs. Brausen, Capistrant and Barnett has to be one of the best ever. Great skill, smart and well-coached.
          I completely agree with this. No matter the outcome, this one should be fun.
          Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

(The seniors were on TV as freshmen, and they were on TV the year before that.) I can't speak for everyone, but no, the 'fear' is of Tony Scheid-coached Stillwater teams. Now it's just the Classic Suburban champ with one (outstanding) line and shaky D (besides M Pendleton). I'm not saying Roseville wins, but the doubt and fear are gone. brookyone is right, now it's a quest. As far as I remember, Roseville has never lost to Hill-Murray, who has never been to state.

On a side note: The matchup of Brandt, Brandt and Doyle vs. Brausen, Capistrant and Barnett has to be one of the best ever. Great skill, smart and well-coached.
            No question #1 Roseville should beat #6 HM - they are favored team and on paper nothing not to like. It is a shame Sec 4AA had to be an "Eastside State Tournament" the re-section last year got this one wrong by no action taken!

HM might surprise if they take lead, keep scoring low and/or stay close anything can happen. HM has three lines that can work in the zone pretty well - Brandt Brandt - Doyle are a must see for any young female players they play the game right and move the puck very very well and can make the best goalies and D miss. HM will likely play 4 D - 3 SR Pendleton, Dolan, Ley and Soph McGill (she is one to watch very good) they have two other Soph D who will see action Curtis and Link.

HM keys - Stay out of the box. Force Roseville penalties. Mckeever plays well in goal.

Roseville Keys - heck who knows they have many many weapons!
            Last edited by joehockey; 02-19-2010, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Ms. Hockey final five:

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/2010mshockey5.html
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

http://preps.startribune.com/scorebo...0910&sport=110
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I was hoping for a Hill Murray upset, but Roseville came through as expected. Sounds like it was a heckuva game, with Hill Murray managing to outshoot the Raiders by a slight margin.

Elsewhere I'm kind of surprised that Hopkins beat No. 1 seed Minnetonka 1-0, but maybe I shouldn't be with Billadeau in goal. She also shut out Minnetonka 2-0 the last time they played...

Should be a very interesting AA tourney. Any predictions on the 1-4 seedings?

I'd go with:

1. Roseville
                  2. Edina
                  3. Irondale
                  4. Hopkins

Whichever of these teams draws upset Section 1 winner Lakeville North in the first game will advance to the semi's. Assuming that Edina and Roseville are in separate brackets, I would pick those two teams making it to the final. That would be a great matchup for the State title, and I wouldn't want to pick a winner.

Class A is not nearly as interesting. It will come down to Warroad vs. Breck, and Warroad will win (maybe!).
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Games are set for the 2010 Class AA State Tournament:

Thursday's First Round at the X:

Irondale (2nd Seed) vs Lakeville North at 11:00 AM
                    Edina (3rd Seed) vs. Roseau at 1:00 PM
                    Roseville (1) vs. Proctor/Hermantown/Marshall at 6 PM
                    Hopkins (4th Seed) vs. Burnsville at 8:00 PM

It should be one of the better State Tournaments to date since there will be 6 teams that are ranked in the Top Ten. Roseville (1), Irondale (2), Edina (3) Roseau (5) and Hopkins (6) per the KRACH rating system. It appears that among the seeded teams Edina has the toughest draw getting 5th ranked Roseau and if they win most likely 2nd ranked Irondale.

Roseville is probably the overall favorite. Roseville lead by Bethany Brausen and Edina lead by Corinne Buie have the greatest depth of talent. Irondale has superstar forwards Lorence and McDonald and Hopkins probably has the best goalie in the State in Kallie Billadeau.

The Edina/Roseau game is the best first round match up. Roseau is young and plays outstanding Defense which is lead by Amanda Monkman. An interesting side note about Roseau is that they are probably one of the few teams in the State (maybe the only one) in which their players predominantly use wood sticks.

PHM lead by Julia Gilbert and Burnsville lead by Lauren Barnes and Amanda Colin are underdogs but they are good teams and could be spoilers. The big surprise in the Tournament is Lakeville North. Not many predicted they would beat out Lakeville South for the berth and they are relatively unknown among their peers.
                    Last edited by SlewFoot; 02-22-2010, 12:01 PM.

Comment

It's entirely fitting that Irondale gets to play one more cupcake in the first round.

Comment

It's entirely fitting that Irondale gets to play one more cupcake in the first round.
                        OT, tie game late in the third, another OT -- I don't know much about their section opponents, but the results don't look too one-sided.

Comment

Don't teams play the season to EARN their placement in postseason play?

Given that that's the case, why are you slamming both teams with one shot?
                          One team earned the right to play a "weaker" team, and the other earned the spot they got, and theoretically anything can happen depending on which team brings it that day.

JMHO, and in the east, we're far more concerned that everybody gets the Whoopie Pies
                          "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                            The problem in the HS tournament is that some sections (which are populated primarily by geography, but there may be some gerrymandering in their creation) are far weaker on paper than others. Roseville's section contained several ranked teams. Because they only seed the top four at state, the top team may or may not get the easiest opponent in the quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post

Given that that's the case, why are you slamming both teams with one shot?
                              One team earned the right to play a "weaker" team, and the other earned the spot they got, and theoretically anything can happen depending on which team brings it that day.

JMHO, and in the east, we're far more concerned that everybody gets the Whoopie Pies
                              1) Irondale plays in the weakest of the Twin Cities' AA-type conferences. There is only one other top-25 type team in that conference and they split the season series.
                              2) Irondale's non-conference schedule was embarrassingly weak, especially for a top-5 type team. For some reason, they played one team who won one game all year (BK) and another who won zero games all year (RC)--these are two of the bottom 3 class AA teams in the state (the third bottom team is in Irondale's conference). There is no logical explanation why they would be on Irondale's schedule.
                              3) Even though the section they play in is also relatively weak, they needed OT to beat a 5-19 team in the first round, won a one-goal game against another and again needed OT in the section final.
                              4) Lakeville North was 12-14. They made it to state by beating Lakeville South, their much better step-sister, who had beaten North twice already during the regular season. But of course when sisters play for the third time in a season, anything can happen and it's a toss-up. Nuff said about them.
                              5) And our state tournament doesn't have true seeding--only the top 4. So the assignment of the next 4 to the top 4 is random.
                              6) Irondale played in and won a good Christmas tournament, but the only other good non-conference foe they had this season beat them 8-3. Rightly or wrong, it's a running joke around arenas that Irondale has a very weak schedule. I was just continuing the joke here, it was very much tongue in cheek, with a little bit of truth, just like all stereotypes.
                              7) I have no idea why I'm explaining all this to someone from New Hampshire, who shouldn't care less about the MN HS tournament.

Comment

Nothing quite like having to explain a joke. Yeesh!!!

I'm just a little too snarky today!

Know thy audience I guess.
                                Last edited by capitalist; 02-22-2010, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X