• Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey III

Link to MSHSL brackets:

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/showxmlbr...8&bracket=5872
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

One more article on Coach Darwitz, whose young team unfortunately did not make it to the big dance:

Hockey star Natalie Darwitz takes on new coaching challenge

http://www.minnpost.com/sports/2012/...hing-challenge
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Personally, I think my Chisago Lakes girls got hosed twice. One time from the seeding (deserve #4) and one time from the random draw.
        Second straight appearance where the Wildcats draw the #1 seed in the quarters. Two years ago it was Warroad. This year it's Breck. Oh, well. Can anyone recite the Herb Brooks speech from the movie "Miracle" before the game?
        Best of luck to all teams. Will be there cheering for honor of the old green and gold.

Comment

Originally posted by play-by-play guy View Post
          Personally, I think my Chisago Lakes girls got hosed twice. One time from the seeding (deserve #4) and one time from the random draw.
          Second straight appearance where the Wildcats draw the #1 seed in the quarters. Two years ago it was Warroad. This year it's Breck.
          Once a lower-ranked team doesn't get the #4 seed in the A bracket, it is in trouble in the random draw. Three out of four options are bad. You got #1 Breck. Warroad, the #2 seed, has already defeated Detroit Lakes 13-1. SSP, the #3, is up 6-0 early in the second. Only #4 Red Wing is likely beatable, and then you are stuck in the winners bracket with the other three. A team is better off losing on Day 1 and trying to win the consolation. At least that way, your season ends with two wins. I realize that no competitive kid thinks like that.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            Once a lower-ranked team doesn't get the #4 seed in the A bracket, it is in trouble in the random draw. Three out of four options are bad. You got #1 Breck. Warroad, the #2 seed, has already defeated Detroit Lakes 13-1. SSP, the #3, is up 6-0 early in the second. Only #4 Red Wing is likely beatable, and then you are stuck in the winners bracket with the other three. A team is better off losing on Day 1 and trying to win the consolation. At least that way, your season ends with two wins. I realize that no competitive kid thinks like that.
            With these quarterfinal game blowouts, plus the shrinkage in the number of teams, I think Class A needs to either realign the sections or they need to go to a four team tournament field. It's painfully obvious that the quality of teams like New Ulm and Detroit Lakes just isn't there - makes for very boring mismatches.

Comment

Link to live video schedule / coverage. I don't think live televised coverage begins until semi finals.

http://www.prep45.com/page/show/418193-live-schedule
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Chisago Lakes battling #1 Breck...2-2 in the 2nd.
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Wow! What a goal by MM! Barn Burner!
                  Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                    Wow! What a goal by MM! Barn Burner!
                    She's also taken 4 penalties - better not do that against Warroad should the two teams meet in the final!

Now 7-3 Breck with 3 minutes to go.

The Red Wing/Hutchinson game should be a little closer.

Comment

I think the Beavers have a nice recruit in Chisago Lakes forward Megan Lushanko.
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        She's also taken 4 penalties - better not do that against Warroad should the two teams meet in the final!

Now 7-3 Breck with 3 minutes to go.

The Red Wing/Hutchinson game should be a little closer.
                        I thought 1-2 of those calls were very questionable. Actually, one was completely bogus I thought.
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I thought 1-2 of those calls were very questionable. Actually, one was completely bogus I thought.
                          No doubt they watch her a little more closely than others...and she's so big and strong that most everyone she has any contact with goes down.

Comment

Couldn't be prouder of my CL Wildcats. Competed for 2 1/2 periods before Breck's speed and depth proved too much. CL actually had two leads...1-0 and 3-2. As for the aforementioned MM, she is the goods. Her talent is literally head-and-shoulders above everyone else on the ice. The move that brookeyone described was three straight toe drags around three defenders and snapping one off clean past the goaltender was one of the best I have ever seen in the women's game. She will have to watch the penalites at the U...I did think that all four calls were legit though.
                            Well, off to the consolation round where I think CL has a good chance to take that much like they did two years ago.

Comment

That was an entertaining game -- Red Wing 6-5 in OT. Now I wish I'd have gone to watch the evening session tonight.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Apparently, Miss McMillen did not agree with all of the calls either. From a Star Tribune article posted to the Hockey Hub:

Breck defenseman Milica McMillen scored a tying goal in the second period and redeemed the three penalties she had taken to that point.

McMillen, an outstanding player and strong physical presence, picked up her fourth minor penalty in the third period. One more would have forced her out of the game, so she sat out the final six minutes of the Mustangs' 7-3 victory over Chisago Lakes.

"I think it was [called] tighter than we're used to," McMillen said. "I wasn't used to it."

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news...rrer_id=115187

Comment

Working...
                                X