This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey III

Looks like a CFB violation to me. Based on that video, I Think I'd also have to dispute the officials account given to the MSHSL as many who witnessed first hand have done.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
      Looks like a CFB violation to me. Based on that video, I Think I'd also have to dispute the officials account given to the MSHSL as many who witnessed first hand have done.
      I've looked at over and over again; it is very hard to tell. Surprised at your conclusion....well maybe not. Hope the kid is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
        I've looked at over and over again; it is very hard to tell. Surprised at your conclusion....well maybe not. Hope the kid is ok.
        As utterly obsessed, consumed and respectful I always am with your opinion of my conclusions (well maybe not) it looks like a CFB to me. If it's "very hard to tell" one way or the other, why would any conclusion be surprising?
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I agree with those who say that the video is not 100% conclusive. However, what makes me believe she was hit from behind is the way she went into the boards with considerable force, and in my view the impact and her immediate motion into the boards is more sudden than her own momentum could have caused. I just don't believe that she could have generated enough momentum on her own to go into the boards head first like that while being basically stationary - her only movement just beforehand was pivoting (turning) towards the end boards, and in the next second you see her crashing pretty much head first while trying to get her arms up to protect herself. It's just inconceivable to me why (and how) anyone would/could do this on their own.

That said, I do NOT think the hit was malicious or intentional on the part of the other girl. A little careless, perhaps, but I do not believe she was trying to injure Miss Privette.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            I just don't believe that she could have generated enough momentum on her own to go into the boards head first like that while being basically stationary - her only movement just beforehand was pivoting (turning) towards the end boards, and in the next second you see her crashing pretty much head first while trying to get her arms up to protect herself. It's just inconceivable to me why (and how) anyone would/could do this on their own.
            I agree that it was not on her own. I don't think it is accurate to say that she was stationary, as she was skating left to right before that pivot, so she brought more energy to the action than one who is standing still would. What is impossible to tell from the angle is the exact nature of the contact. Is it on the hip, the thigh, the shoulder, the back ... I can't see, only Privette's reaction, so I'm left to assume. I hate to do so in a case as serious as this. It could be a CFB, but I'm not going to call it that, because I believe there is enough uncertainty that it is possible that it was not. It definitely wasn't nearly as clear cut as the CFB on video in the recent Winona and Owatonna boys' game that led to a fight.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              That said, I do NOT think the hit was malicious or intentional on the part of the other girl. A little careless, perhaps, but I do not believe she was trying to injure Miss Privette.
              I haven't heard anyone who was present say anything different, including the family of Miss Privette. Still appears to me from the video that it's just the kind of play, or hit that needs to be eliminated as much as it possibly can. Especially for the girls I think any such intent is virtually non existent. The competition gets heated for sure but there's clear widespread good sportsmanship among the girls IMO.

Still a lot of local media interest and coverage including benefits for Jake that I've seen. Sure hope Jenna can recover completely.
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I think it's fairly obvious the officials account to the MSHSL was not accurate. At some point, for what I can't discern from the video myself I'm willing to consider opinions of eyewitnesses for which there appears to be a consensus among those who were watching from nearby, as well as Miss Privette's own account. Although my trying to make the call at this point is not even remotely important.
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                  I think it's fairly obvious the officials account to the MSHSL was not accurate. At some point, for what I can't discern from the video myself I'm willing to consider opinions of eyewitnesses for which there appears to be a consensus among those who were watching from nearby, as well as Miss Privette's own account. Although my trying to make the call at this point is not even remotely important.
                  Eyewitness reports in most anything are horribly inaccurate let alone in a quick moving game that half the group will look at the call one sided. I've looked at this repeatedly and there is no way that was checking from behind. It looks more like the opposing player from the right goes down to play the puck, Jenna then seems to rotate and a player from the left goes by behind bumping into her. She then really just falls, she is not slammed into the boards or even really pushed into them as a check from behind would do in this case.

Refs made a good call, sorry for Jenna and her 2nd spine numbing incident, and parents should realize this is a body contact game. Wish her the best in recovery again.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                    Eyewitness reports in most anything are horribly inaccurate let alone in a quick moving game that half the group will look at the call one sided.
                    I don't know if eyewitness accounts I read were tainted by any bias. I don't believe all those I read that seemed uniform in their recounting of what happened are questionable due to bias though, myself. I'm also giving a fair amount of weight to the comments of Miss Privette. Anyone would have a difficult time convincing me she would be untruthful in her own account of how the play unfolded. I've watched the video about thirty times now. I guess I wouldn't agree most eyewitness accounts are inherently inaccurate. I understand the bias component to recounts of a typical hockey game just the same. To me, still looks like obvious contact easily characterized as checking by any official does occur to Jenna's back while she's facing the boards. For me there's small doubt the same play would be called differently by a variety of high school officials for any one / separate occurrence. One eyewitness claimed the opponent took "three hard strides" before the alleged CFB. I'm not seeing that in the video.

There was a short update regarding Miss Privette in the St. Paul Pioneer Press this morning, stating that Jenna has left the hospital and has been admitted to a physical rehab facility. Still no feeling in her legs but "a full recovery is expected." Very glad to hear that.
                    Last edited by brookyone; 01-22-2012, 05:04 PM.
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

This link, featuring future Gopher Hannah Brandt, was posted by "hockeyheaven" in the high school forum:

http://video.wild.nhl.com/videocente...=969&id=151380

(really looking forward to seeing her wear the Maroon and Gold in the fall!)

Comment

The #12 ranked Knights battle the top rated Red Knights...in a battle of the uh...Knights.

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news...rrer_id=115187
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

A Darwitz on each bench as Wildcats, Cougars tangle

http://www.thisweeklive.com/2012/01/...ougars-tangle/

“At first she wanted to come back and coach with me, but I told her, ‘You need an identity. Take over a program and build it.’”

Comment

http://www.twincities.com/prep/ci_19853530#
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Nice article. I liked this exchange in particular:

BS: Have you ever had to remind yourself that your players can't do what you did at their age?

ND: Yeah, a little bit. One of my strengths was seeing a play develop ahead of time. I've got to remember sometimes they're not seeing what I'm seeing and sometimes I do get a little frustrated and have to take a deep breath and say, "They're not seeing what I'm seeing."

As a player, she was really good at "seeing"!

Comment

Congratulations to all!

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/images/pdf/1061cover.pdf

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/compon...announced.html
                                Last edited by brookyone; 02-02-2012, 03:06 PM. Reason: Add related linkage.
                                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X