This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey III

When the MSHSL declared there wasn't a check from behind in the Privette incident, it immediately made me wonder how healthy her previous spinal cord injury had become .. if she was really ready to be back on the ice. Not to belittle the injury or checking from behind etc, of course, and obviously her doctors cleared her to play, but I still wonder about the condition of the previous problem.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

UMD Women's Hockey Fans Page

Comment

Originally posted by binnyrus View Post
      Saw this today . . . isn't checking from behind an AUTOMATIC disqualification in college?? This seems kind of backward . . . ??

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...tml#more-11188
      Originally posted by dhmn View Post
      When the MSHSL declared there wasn't a check from behind in the Privette incident, it immediately made me wonder how healthy her previous spinal cord injury had become .. if she was really ready to be back on the ice. Not to belittle the injury or checking from behind etc, of course, and obviously her doctors cleared her to play, but I still wonder about the condition of the previous problem.
      As per the article linked by binnyrus, the mother of Miss Privette intensely disagrees with the findings in the incident report.

The MSHSL response per changes to penalties for infractions of CFB, contact to the head etc.

The Minnesota State High School League Board of Directors has approved a recommendation to stiffen several penalties in hockey that become effective immediately, January 16, 2012.

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/index.asp

Checking from behind, which formerly called for a two-minute minor penalty plus a 10-minute misconduct penalty, will now become a five-minute major penalty plus a 10-minute misconduct penalty. The existing also states that any check from behind that is deemed "flagrant or causes the player to crash headfirst into the boards or goal frame" will continue be a game disqualification. The disqualified player cannot re-enter that game and cannot play in the next scheduled game either.

Boarding, defined as a "check, cross-check, elbow, charge or trip" that sends an opponent "violently into the boards" now becomes an automatic major penalty — five minutes — instead of the option of either a two-minute minor penalty or a five-minute major penalty. The existing rule that also states that any boarding check that "causes the player to crash headfirst into the boards" may qualify for a game disqualification. The disqualified player cannot re-enter that game and cannot play in the next scheduled game either.

Contact to the head also now becomes an automatic major penalty — five minutes — instead of the option of either a two-minute minor penalty or a five-minute major penalty. The rule states, "No player shall make contact with an opposing player's head or neck area in any manner." Officials still have the option of assessing a disqualification penalty if warranted, and in that case the disqualified player cannot re-enter that game and cannot play in the next scheduled game either.
      Really puts the onus on officials obviously...to get it right. I understand they've recently received some specific, specialized instruction from the MSHSL regarding enforcement of the newly stiffened penalties for these rules violations. Hopefully the changes and officials are extremely effective in preventing any more injuries of this severity. Hopefully at least as effective as the "STOP" signs utilized by the youngsters.
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

High school hockey coaches boning up on MSHSL rules reforms

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_19754259
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Thanks for the information everyone. I'm glad to see that CFB, hits to the head, boarding will all be subject to harsher penalties. There's really no place in the game for any of that stuff. I find myself still shaking my head that the high school league had softer penalties for that stuff than was the case in college. What was it? A few years ago in a FF contest that UMD's Holmlov got the game misconduct in a game against Bucky??

Anyway . . . thanks again for the clarifications about the rules.

Comment

I think it was the 2009 semifinals. Even Jessie Vetter said it wasn't checking from behind. I don't know too many people who saw it who agreed with the call. Ended up costing the Bulldogs the game.

Comment

Originally posted by JosephPSchmoe View Post
              I think it was the 2009 semifinals. Even Jessie Vetter said it wasn't checking from behind. I don't know too many people who saw it who agreed with the call. Ended up costing the Bulldogs the game.
              Yea, well . . . water over the dam. My point was that even questionable/borderline CFB calls in college garnered a harsh penalty.

Comment

Thanks for the information everyone. I'm glad to see that CFB, hits to the head, boarding will all be subject to harsher penalties. There's really no place in the game for any of that stuff. I find myself still shaking my head that the high school league had softer penalties for that stuff than was the case in college.
                Possibly due to the rarity of injuries of this magnitude, particularly for the girls...up to this point anyway. The girls high school game has definitely evolved in the time since first becoming a varsity sport. Initially for the first few years the physical aspect of play was nothing like what it is now. Much greater skill on a much more widespread basis today than there was back in the early years of varsity. A pretty large number of participants today are intent on playing college hockey, intensely focused on acquiring $$ to play while getting an education...or simply landing a spot on a college hockey roster. Players are bigger, faster and stronger and the physical part of the game has intensified. The competitive nature or spirit in girls high school hockey has, well...compared to the early days I guess you'd have to say skyrocketed. So many train and play year round now...that was pretty much non existent back in the day.

It is very unfortunate and disturbing serious tragedies had to occur before changes were made. I just hope that officials can now make the changes extremely effective. Coaches have to take initiative as well letting their players know those infractions highlighted by the MSHSL are not acceptable. Perhaps a bit of a tricky proposition not wanting to inhibit a players intensity, skills or tools per legal contact, while keeping it clean for those MSHSL areas of new emphasis.
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

This is definitely worth noting:

Pannek scores 'surreal' hat trick in one shift

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news...rrer_id=113956

It will be interesting when she faces off against Hill Murray phenom Hannah Brandt on the 28th.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    This is definitely worth noting:

Pannek scores 'surreal' hat trick in one shift

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news...rrer_id=113956

It will be interesting when she faces off against Hill Murray phenom Hannah Brandt on the 28th.
                    That should be a regular Clash of Titans. Wouldn't it be interesting if they somehow became teammates in an idyllic future...just sayin'.
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/images/pdf/1058cover.pdf
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Saw this today . . . isn't checking from behind an AUTOMATIC disqualification in college?? This seems kind of backward . . . ??
                        http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...tml#more-11188
                        http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video-...clipId=6617319

Watching this vid I would not call this checking from behind. You can not see all the detail as the net is in the way. Looks more like some simple body contact in passing and she lost her balance. Most interesting is she had a previous incident with a spinal cord type injury and came back from it.

Wish her the best in her recovery.
                        Last edited by giwan; 01-18-2012, 06:35 PM.

Comment

This is mostly an update on Jack Jablonski and his spinal cord injury, but the article also mentions Jenna Privette and the fact that the two just met for the first time:

Jabs: 'This is like a calling almost'

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article/show/129709

"Thursday afternoon, 18-year-old hospital patient Jenna Privette, who suffered a spinal injury during a hockey game on Jan. 6, rolled into Jablonski's room, her mother pushing her wheelchair. She delivered a blanket to Jack. It was the first time they had met.

Privette told Jablonski that the blanket threads were woven with prayers, just like a blanket that friends from her school delivered to her. Doctors have said Privette's spinal cord is not severed, and her family is hopeful that she will be able to walk again, as she did after a similar injury in 2008. The two teenagers held their mothers' hands along with Jack's brother, Max, in prayer. The mothers took pictures of their injured children side-by-side.

Before Privette and her mother left, Jenna and Jack agreed to talk again, to discuss an ordeal that few others can truly understand."

Isn't that the truth...

Comment

The best video I've seen - makes it hard to dispute that it was in fact a CFB.

Controversy surrounds hit to Jenna Privette

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/compon...-privette.html

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              The best video I've seen - makes it hard to dispute that it was in fact a CFB.

Controversy surrounds hit to Jenna Privette

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/compon...-privette.html
                              The LPH article is extremely informative.

And sorry D2D, I am going to adopt the opposite view, I find the video to be extremely inconclusive. One player has the puck behind the net, another comes from in front and disputes possession. Contact? Surely. A check? A little harder to see on that video.

I just hope she is OK.
                              Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

I agree with MBTC. It might be a CFB or it might not, one can't say for sure because the net and several players are between the camera and the play in question. I watched it about four times, but I can't take any more of Larry the Cable Guy, so that'll do it for me. Obviously, the finding that she fell on her own is nonsense.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X