This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey III

Anyone have a backyard rink they'd like to have considered?

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/pages/...2&gf=aggregate
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

MSHSL website has the Roseville / Stillwater game final as a 4-0 win for the Raiders. Raiders weren't likely to lose three in a row.
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Let's Play Hockey
        The Associated Press polls for Minnesota girls’ high school hockey, provided by Let's Play Hockey:

GIRLS CLASS AA (first-place votes) – Jan. 4, 2012
        1. Benilde-St. Margaret's (8)
        2. Hill-Murray (1)
        3. Anoka (1)
        4. Minnetonka
        5. Roseville Area
        6. Edina
        7. Elk River/Zimmerman
        8. Mounds View
        9. White Bear Lake
        10. Eagan
        11. Irondale
        12. Stillwater Area
        13. Lakeville South
        14. Hopkins
        15. Lakeville North
        16. Blaine
        17. Andover
        18. Champlin Park
        19. Roseau
        20. Chaska/Chanhassen

GIRLS CLASS A (first-place votes) – Jan. 4, 2012
        1. Breck (10)
        2. Warroad
        3. South St. Paul
        4. Thief River Falls
        5. Mound-Westonka
        6. Blake
        7. Orono
        8. Red Wing
        9. Chisago Lakes Area
        10. Rogers
        11. Mankato East/Loyola
        12. Visitation/SPA United
        13. Crookston
        14. East Grand Forks
        15. Hutchinson
        16. Mahtomedi
        17. Henry Sibley
        18. International Falls
        19. Hibbing/Chisholm
        20. Proctor/Hermantown
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
          MSHSL website has the Roseville / Stillwater game final as a 4-0 win for the Raiders. Raiders weren't likely to lose three in a row.
          Not a good sign for the Ponies that they lost by four at home to a team that had two top players in the Czech Republic. I'd be curious to hear from any witnesses if the game was closer than the score.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            Not a good sign for the Ponies that they lost by four at home to a team that had two top players in the Czech Republic. I'd be curious to hear from any witnesses if the game was closer than the score.
            Looking at the powerhouses in 4AA...minus any supernatural CDH type section tournament mystical magic of a few years back, I don't see Stillwater coming out on top of the 4AA tournament. I'll go ahead and say it now...whenever the Pioneers and Raiders meet in 4AA play, that's your section title game.
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Looking at the powerhouses in 4AA...minus any supernatural CDH type section tournament mystical magic of a few years back, I don't see Stillwater coming out on top of the 4AA tournament. I'll go ahead and say it now...whenever the Pioneers and Raiders meet in 4AA play, that's your section title game.
              I have to agree with you. I think Roseville and HM will be the number 1 and 2 seeds, placing them on opposite sides of the playoff bracket. I don’t think Stillwater has the firepower to beat either team, and unless WBL gets Sam Hanson back for playoffs, I think the same is true for them. But stranger things have happened -- I guess that's why they play the games. Again, for about the fifth straight year, 4AA will be the toughest section in the State.

Comment

Not GIRLS high school hockey but everyone who follows the sport here in Minnesota knows the Jack Jablonski story. The really good news is that Jack is already making progress that's exceeded the expectations of his doctors. It was an emotional scene yesterday in BSM's first return to the ice since Jack's severe spinal chord injury. Here is a well produced video of the pre-game ceremonies held in Jack's honor:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/136887478.html
                Last edited by D2D; 01-08-2012, 02:03 PM.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Not GIRLS high school hockey but everyone who follows the sport here in Minnesota knows the Jack Jablonski story. The really good news is that Jack is already making progress that's exceeded the expectations of his doctors. It was an emotional scene yesterday in BSM's first return to the ice since Jack's severe spinal chord injury. Here is a well produced video of the pre-game ceremonies held in Jack's honor:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/136887478.html
                  On a semi related, somber note:

http://www.twincities.com/prep/ci_19...2vYO9bxQ.email
                  Minnesota Hockey

Comment

This update on Jenna Privette seems more hopeful.

Comment

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news...rrer_id=259718

Wow! The Tornadoes at 17-1 really piling up the wins and have climbed to #2! A former powerhouse that has been away for a little while. Has anyone seen them play this year?

Roseville at #5...hmmm...don't know about that. Maybe being punished too severely for results while missing key players.
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

The HM dynamic duo includes Hanna Brandt.

http://www.twincities.com/prep/ci_19723585#
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

An update on injured player Jenna Privette:

http://www.twincities.com/prep/ci_19720123#

Prayers for a full recovery.
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

The HM dynamic duo includes Hanna Brandt.

http://www.twincities.com/prep/ci_19723585#
                            Great article! Looking forward to seeing Miss Brandt in a Maroon and Gold uniform next season.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Saw this today . . . isn't checking from behind an AUTOMATIC disqualification in college?? This seems kind of backward . . . ??

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...tml#more-11188

Comment

Originally posted by binnyrus View Post
                                Saw this today . . . isn't checking from behind an AUTOMATIC disqualification in college?? This seems kind of backward . . . ??

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...tml#more-11188
                                Don't use the word "disqualification", because the 5-minute major for checking from behind brings with it an automatic game misconduct, which is different from a game disqualification. A disqualification mandates a suspension in the next game, while a game misconduct does not. In high school, I think the penalty was such that it could be a 2 minute minor plus a ten-minute misconduct for a CFB; that's what the college rule book permitted at one point as well.

For the Jenna Privette play, the only video I've seen happens with the net in the way of the camera angle, so it is tough to say with absolute authority exactly what happened. But as best as I could tell, Privette carried the puck behind the net in the offensive zone. As she gets to the far side of the net along the boards, she appears to turn back toward the boards. Did the puck stick? Was she going to reverse her direction? Was she attempting to shield the puck with her body as players at many levels do? Can't see it well enough to tell. The defensive player goes behind the goal line from the other side of the net, apparently intent on intercepting Privette's path. It looked to me like the defender had her stick on the ice and was attempting to play the puck. But there was definitely contact. I'd say contact without any ill intent, but contact none the less. It wasn't the type of play where I'd expect to see a CFB called, because it wasn't really a check, more like the path of two players intersecting, and because one had most of the momentum and the other appeared to be changing direction, Privette got much the worst of it.

How does this problem get fixed? It is a tough question. Many times, one sees a player possessing the puck turn, present her back to the challenge from an opponent, and face the boards. This happens in all levels of hockey played by males as well. Tactically, this might be a good move. From a player safety perspective, it isn't. Sometimes the approaching player has the time and control to stop, sometimes not. The root problem is that hockey is a game played at high speed with boards that aren't very forgiving.

Comment

Working...
                                X