X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey III

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
    ...but the Raiders are pretty stacked this year.

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news...id=115187-news

Don't you mean EVERY YEAR!!!! I'll take Hill to come away with it. Sorry. Carma goes against the Raiders and I feel the Ponies and Bears only have a couple of nice players. Raiders #3 and 8 are outstanding along with the goalie and then a very nice group behind. Hill has the great one. The game changer.

Comment

Originally posted by WCHFan View Post
      Don't you mean EVERY YEAR!!!! I'll take Hill to come away with it. Sorry. Carma goes against the Raiders and I feel the Ponies and Bears only have a couple of nice players. Raiders #3 and 8 are outstanding along with the goalie and then a very nice group behind. Hill has the great one. The game changer.
      Roseville has had a very nice run.

Looking at 14s and 12s though . . . Maybe Roseville better enjoy this group.

But this group!!!!! #8 for sure, great player, the goalie for sure, one of the best in the state this year, #3 for sure, #6 for sure. But what about #17, #15, the still very young #7 (nice hockey pedigree), no use leaving #23 and #12 out of the discussion.

I concede, this boils down to LOADED this year. I think that's why they are rated number 1.

Can they win back the section championship from Hill-Murray. Well, they will have to get there first. If those two teams end up facing off for the section title the winner will undoubtedly be the favorite in the state tournament.

Fans of BSM and Edina are welcome to state dissenting opinions.
      Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

I see Hill-Murray, BSM and Roseville as the top 3 teams in Class AA right now, with maybe a slight edge going to Roseville due to their depth and experience. It's a little hard to compare because the three teams have not faced a single common opponent so far, but you can get an idea from these match-ups.

Hill-Murray and Roseville have each played Edina, with H-M beating them 2-1 and Roseville tying them 2-2.

Hill-Murray and BSM have each beaten defending AA champion Minnetonka, H-M by 5-4 and BSM by 2-0. It will be a real battle between BSM and Minnetonka to see which team advances to State out of Section 6AA, just like it should come down to H-M and Roseville in 4AA.

H-M and BSM have also both played Breck, rated No. 1 in Class A, and Breck beat them both. It was Breck 5, H-M 2; and Breck 4, BSM 3 in OT.

The only common opponent that BSM and Roseville have is White Bear Lake. BSM beat them 7-3 in the teams' opening game, and Roseville just beat them 5-1 on Tuesday.

So from these results you have to say the three teams appear to be pretty close. In Class AA KRACH currently has them ranked Nos. 1. (Hill-Murray) 2. (BSM) and 3. (Roseville) but this appears to be more of a result of strength of schedule than anything else. That will change next week when each team will be tested in the respective Holiday tournaments they'll be playing in.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          So from these results you have to say the three teams appear to be pretty close. In Class AA KRACH currently has them ranked Nos. 1. (Hill-Murray) 2. (BSM) and 3. (Roseville) but this appears to be more of a result of strength of schedule than anything else. That will change next week when each team will be tested in the respective Holiday tournaments they'll be playing in.
          With the possibility of a preview of a potential section 4AA combatant barn burner with H-M and Roseville in the Kaposia. 'Tonka and Blake will have something to say about that possibility...but I'd like to watch such a preview.
          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

All good teams and it will be fun to have it play out. Did Breck beat HM with Brandt? I do think Roseville is the deepest team in the state. Just think the hockey gods might favor Hill as it did for Stillwater in the past. Roseville always seems to get snake bitten in sections.

Comment

Originally posted by WCHFan View Post
              Roseville always seems to get snake bitten in sections.
              For as strong as the section has been, they've probably done okay. A lot could depend on which team stays healthy, because injuries to key players can change the balance of power quickly. Or even additions -- was it four years ago that CDH got hot in the second half and made a run to state? Can't rule anyone out.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

With the possibility of a preview of a potential section 4AA combatant barn burner with H-M and Roseville in the Kaposia. 'Tonka and Blake will have something to say about that possibility...but I'd like to watch such a preview.
                Roseville - even without Stecklein and Flug - should have no problem with Blake, which is down a lot compared to their teams from a few years ago. And Blake will be without their top player, Dani Cameranesi, who also will be with the U18's, and without her Blake doesn't have much of a chance to advance in this tournament (IMO). Just a few years ago, they were loaded with a half-dozen really good players, plus more depth on the second and third lines, so missing just one really good player wouldn't have affected their chances nearly as much.

I'll be a little surprised, however, if a "Brandt-less" Hill-Murray team will beat Minnetonka. Whether H-M is playing Minnetonka in the quarterfinals, or Roseville in the semifinal, without Hanna Brandt they are just not the same team. She's THAT GOOD, and means that much to H-M's team. They do, however, have a better supporting cast than Blake, but it still probably won't be enough to advance.

So I'm going with Roseville and Minnetonka advancing to first Kaposia semifinal. And because Roseville will be missing Stecklein and Flug - despite all of their other weapons - I believe Minnetonka will win that semi and advance to the final, probably against Warroad.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, and if I am it won't be the first time.
                Last edited by D2D; 12-23-2011, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Holiday tournament action getting started today:

I. Edina ABRA Tournament

Monday, December 26

Quarterfinals - Upper Bracket

Irondale vs. Stillwater

Grand Rapids/Greenway vs. Hopkins

Quarterfinals - Lower Bracket

Lakeville South vs. Coon Rapids

Duluth vs. Edina

Schwan Cup and Kaposia Classic getting started in a couple days.

GO PONIES!
                  Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Holiday tournament action getting started today:

I. Edina ABRA Tournament

Monday, December 26

Quarterfinals - Upper Bracket

Irondale vs. Stillwater

GO PONIES!
                    Ponies come out on top by a score of 3-2 over the Knights in the Edina ABRA Tournament opener.

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/schoolact...460&school=440
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

ponies come out on top by a score of 3-2 over the knights in the edina abra tournament opener.

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/schoolact...460&school=440
                      booo!

Comment

No HS scores posted today; the Ponies must have lost.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Looks like our second game tonight was a real defensive battle:
                          From the MN HS Forum

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtop...27632&start=50

Hopkins 1, Stillwater 0

Jillaine DeYoung scored the only goal of the game at 5:32 of the 3rd period, and Hopkins netminder Erin O'Neil stopped all 28 shots she faced for the shutout.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            No HS scores posted today; the Ponies must have lost.
                            I was stunned...stunned the Ponies were held scoreless. Can't recall them being shut out. I think they're a little one dimensional this season. I think the host ends up on top in this Tournament. There is no denying the two former GWH stars running the Hornet program have done, are doing an excellent job with Edina girls hockey.

Watched a tape delayed broadcast of H-M vs. SSP last night on local cable access channel. 3rd or 4th time I've seen H-M in 2011-2012 now. To me the Pioneers appear to have a decent supporting cast in addition to HB, contrary to some opinions I've heard / read. Let's get that Kaposia Classic Going!
                            Last edited by brookyone; 12-28-2011, 06:34 AM.
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I think the host ends up on top in this Tournament.
                              Tournament host Edina certainly has to be favored, but I wouldn't count out Hopkins just yet. They are playing really well as of late, going undefeated in their past 10 games, the only blemish being a 2-2 tie when they last played Edina in conference play. BTW, I'm a little surprised that Hopkins star Mari Mankey hasn't committed anywhere yet, at least that I've seen. She now has 23G + 20A for 43 points in 15 games, against above-average competition. Hopkins also has a young player to watch, Corbin Boyd, who is just a 9th grader. She already has 39 points (10+29) in those 15 games. I assume that's her brother Travis, also from Hopkins (http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m..._travis00.html) who plays for the Gopher men's team?

Edina has better balance throughout their lineup, but they seem to be lacking any real snipers this year, as no one in their lineup has more than 9 goals or 19 points. I see a low scoring final, as both teams are strong in goal.

Watched a tape delayed broadcast of H-M vs. SSP last night on local cable access channel. 3rd or 4th time I've seen H-M in 2011-2012 now. To me the Pioneers appear to have a decent supporting cast in addition to HB, contrary to some opinions I've heard / read. Let's get that Kaposia Classic Going!
                              Not sure if H-M without Hannah Brandt is going to be strong enough to beat Minnetonka. The last time they played, on November 22nd, Hill-Murray won by just a 5-4 score, but Brandt scored 4 of their 5 goals! I agree that playing this game and the tournament without her should help H-M down the stretch, as it will force their "supporting cast" to really step up in her absence.
                              Last edited by D2D; 12-28-2011, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Minnetonka 5 Hill Murray 0

Comment

Working...
                                X