X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey III

Originally posted by DedicatedFan View Post
    I also feel bad for the player at Roseville who has worked hard, come up through the Roseville youth ranks, and will now be displaced because of this transfer player.
    I certainly agree with this part. The only positive spin that anyone can give is that the displaced player is most likely an underclassmen who still has chance or chances to play with her peers.

It just doesn’t seem to me to be the right thing to do – call me old-fashioned in believing that loyalty is more important than victory.
    OK, I'll be the one.

You're old fashioned.
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

It seems to me that a senior who transfers from one public high school program to another, after she has already been recruited to a D1 program, is only doing so selfishly in an attempt to win a state championship.
      I presume in posting this that you are sure of the motives of the player in question? That it's not possible that her parents moved to a new home within the Roseville school district, and they moved for some other reason, unrelated to their daughter's hockey ambitions? Call me old fashioned, but I believe a person is innocent until proven guilty.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
        The only positive spin that anyone can give is that the displaced player is most likely an underclassmen who still has chance or chances to play with her peers.
        Brodt strikes me as a pretty good coach. If the "displaced" player can play, I expect that he'll find a role for her.

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Call me old fashioned, but I believe a person is innocent until proven guilty.
        And since the person in question is a high school kid, they are all pretty innocent. If she wants to go to a different school, and the rules say that she can, she certainly doesn't need the blessing of the likes of me to do so.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I'm not 100%, but I don't believe anyone is allowed to play two different sports in the same season; i.e. in each of Fall, Winter, Spring you must limit yourself to one sport). Even if it was permitted, it wouldn't be practical because, other than on Sunday, the Holidays and on game days, most teams practice every day of the season. I can't imagine too many coaches would allow any of their players to show up only half the time.
          Michelle Maunu, former Gopher Hockey Defenseman, played girls soccer and played football (as a kicker) for quite a few seasons. No rules against playing multiple sports during the same season.

Comment

I presume in posting this that you are sure of the motives of the player in question? That it's not possible that her parents moved to a new home within the Roseville school district, and they moved for some other reason, unrelated to their daughter's hockey ambitions? Call me old fashioned, but I believe a person is innocent until proven guilty.
            That is exactly the situation. Family is a talented committed hockey family with 1 daughter playing D1, this daughter committed to D1 school and a National Camp son attending, playing & studying at SSM. Family has business interests around the Twin Cities.

A family moving into a central area of the metro to an established program is an option completely approved under the rules. Heck if you had a talented daughter and were considering a move wouldn't you consider the chance to have her learn further under Vic Brodt one of the top accomplished coaches in the State of Hockey and a great man?

Comment

Originally posted by joehockey View Post
              That is exactly the situation. Family is a talented committed hockey family with 1 daughter playing D1, this daughter committed to D1 school and a National Camp son attending, playing & studying at SSM. Family has business interests around the Twin Cities.

A family moving into a central area of the metro to an established program is an option completely approved under the rules. Heck if you had a talented daughter and were considering a move wouldn't you consider the chance to have her learn further under Vic Brodt one of the top accomplished coaches in the State of Hockey and a great man?
              Joe, I believe you are saying that the parents moved into the Roseville Area school district primarily (or maybe solely?) so their daughter could improve as a hockey player? Despite the fact that she is now a senior and has already committed to a D1 school? While I'm a huge proponent of open enrollment and individual choice generally, and in fact I wish the MSHSL hadn't even passed the transfer rule, I believe this particular decision COULD be a little over the top if the ONLY reason they moved was so the daughter could play her final season at Roseville. Perhaps there are extenuating circumstances, who knows. Whatever may have figured into their decision, I do support the family's right to make it, and I wish her the best of luck.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

The girl in question is leaving a very good coach! I would put him up against any coach. I'm pretty sure the move is to win. Coach Brodt better make sure they live in the new house as I'm sure there will be many watching.

Comment

Joe, I believe you are saying that the parents moved into the Roseville Area school district primarily (or maybe solely?) so their daughter could improve as a hockey player? Despite the fact that she is now a senior and has already committed to a D1 school? While I'm a huge proponent of open enrollment and individual choice generally, and in fact I wish the MSHSL hadn't even passed the transfer rule, I believe this particular decision COULD be a little over the top if the ONLY reason they moved was so the daughter could play her final season at Roseville. Perhaps there are extenuating circumstances, who knows. Whatever may have figured into their decision, I do support the family's right to make it, and I wish her the best of luck.
                  No what I said is they moved to a more central part of the metro area as I understand - it fit their family and business needs..

Comment

There can be many circumstances that drive these decisions but when a family moves it does impact both teams and many times the communities. This can be a welcome change or create a lot of dissatisfaction. I am sure this situation was well researched and arrangements made where the family and coaches must be comfortable. So as long as the rule allows for these changes it will continue. The positive thing I am hearing is that most college coaches are not encouraging these Sr. year transfers. They understand that a lot of the development is occurring in spring through fall and the Sr. HS season is a chance to finish their HS careers with their friends and enjoy and get the most out of their last year. Maybe more importantly, they have an opportunity to refine their leadership skills both on and off the ice. The transition to college and D-I hockey will take a great deal of energy and commitment and a successful senior year on the ice, in the classroom, and socially is a perfect stepping stone into the freshman year. A Sr. transition year and then another step to college is a difficult task.

Comment

Seriously, who cares? People move every day, and it is no one's business why.
                      Last edited by Hux; 09-19-2011, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Ditto!!!who cares!!!

Comment

I can understand that response coming from someone from outside Minnesota, however the topic is a much talked about, very controversial topic here. I'm not making a judgement on a family's decision, just pointing out that lots of people care, including the Minnestota State High School League.

Comment

Originally posted by Still A Game View Post
                            I can understand that response coming from someone from outside Minnesota, however the topic is a much talked about, very controversial topic here. I'm not making a judgement on a family's decision, just pointing out that lots of people care, including the Minnestota State High School League.
                            It's definitely the legitimate business of the MSHSL...no question about that. However many complaints, grumblings and judgements including negative comments made publicly that too often (speaking in general, not just this particular example) are directed at specific individuals and come from sources whose business it is not. We're talking about 17 year old kids...or younger and I find it disappointing when adults will publicly question or condemn the character of the kids or integrity of their parents...often enough in absence of knowledge of facts. I know of one clear example of a young player and her family being lambasted repeatedly in the high school forum in response to her transferring. All kinds of accusations were flying. I know the family...they moved...bought a new home in another school district for reasons 100% unrelated to hockey.

I can understand some distaste for multiple transfers by one individual that are motivated by hockey aspirations. Seen that as well. Best policy IMO is let the MSHSL police and enforce transfer rules. Nothing wrong with talking about the transfer issues...I'd just like to not read negative comments concerning specific kids in a public forum.
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                              ...I'd just like to not read negative comments concerning specific kids in a public forum.
                              Good for you. But really, since you won't shut up when asked, I dont think anyone else should shut up when you ask.

17 yr olds (and younger) can be, and are often, tried as adults. This is a hockey forum...and an overall extremely mild forum at that. Take your chupe back to the play pen.
                              (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

I have no problem with a player transferring. Just make sure you do it for the right reasons and make sure all your ducks are in a row and actually move. Which I'm sure is going to happen. Just hate to see a team as talented as Roseville have to forfeit games because of an illegal player. But to answer who cares? Maybe a coach who helped a player get a D1 scholarship by making numerous phone calls or the 20 or so teammates who were counting on a player as captain to lead them? Nothing would change for either team whether the player stayed or goes. One will win everything and one will lose more than they win. I hope it's not the case and the later surprises everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X