This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey III

Minnetonka, based on their 2010-11 championship season, should be favored to top LPH's Class AA pre-season poll, but I see Roseville right behind and ready to assume No. 1 should Minnetonka falter early on. As brookyone notes BSM will be very strong, but they'll need to rely on a young goaltender with very little varsity experience. Otherwise they have at least a half-dozen future D1 prospects on their roster, although several of them are still three years away. Not sure beyond these three teams, other than Edina which has the depth to simply reload year after year.

1. Minnetonka
    2. Roseville
    3. Benilde-St. Margaret's
    4. Edina
    5-10. ??? Hill Murray, Stillwater, Elk River-Zimmerman, Coon Rapids, Eden Prairie, White Bear Lake in no particular order.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by puckskillz View Post
      I am hearing that some coaches might not be scouting the T'Breds. There seems to be a lot of individual play occurring and the girls are not learning puck movement and team play skills required at the next level. Not sure if this is driven because of the expense and thus focus on individual vs team achievement. If this is true, it might be a reason why top end players are not interested. The programs mentioned above Ice cats, OS,...are also very good development. A lot of coaches are also adamant about players being multi-sport athletes to improve athleticism and learn to balance multiple activities. The high school programs fulfill this goal.
      Well, I'm sure there are "some" that don't scout the T-Breds, but having been to quite a few JWHL events, I can honestly say that the glass tends to be lined with coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by puckskillz View Post
        How does Roseville look this yr. Saw that they had a younger player, a '13 commit, doing really well at the Ntl level and have the Gopher defensive recruit. Are they ready for another run?
        Roseville atop the SEC and among the top 5 would be no surprise at all. They'll still have their hands full in section play though. Could be the year of the Pioneer in this tough section.

It'll be interesting to see how CDH progresses...and if "new management" attracts new talent. Some feel that could occur at the expense of, and to the detriment of said Pioneers.
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Hill Murray has a lot of talent including Hannah Brandt - only question mark is not sure who will step in to fill the goaltender skates of McKeever and McGill who graduated.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
            Alrighty...getting back to MSHSL hockey for the girls, a bold prediction. Watch out for those Red Knights in 2011-2012. Okay...maybe not all that bold.
            I'll make another bold prediction. The Red Knights will find they miss Jordyn Burns WAY more than they could have predicted.

Not nitpicking but the backup HM goalie who graduated was McGuire, and Magill is a senior D this year.

Roseville has 5 seniors (possibly 6) who will play D1 and one junior committed (so far). How does HM stack up against that?
            Last edited by capitalist2; 09-13-2011, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              Minnetonka, based on their 2010-11 championship season, should be favored to top LPH's Class AA pre-season poll, but I see Roseville right behind and ready to assume No. 1 should Minnetonka falter early on. As brookyone notes BSM will be very strong, but they'll need to rely on a young goaltender with very little varsity experience. Otherwise they have at least a half-dozen future D1 prospects on their roster, although several of them are still three years away. Not sure beyond these three teams, other than Edina which has the depth to simply reload year after year.

1. Minnetonka
              2. Roseville
              3. Benilde-St. Margaret's
              4. Edina
              5-10. ??? Hill Murray, Stillwater, Elk River-Zimmerman, Coon Rapids, Eden Prairie, White Bear Lake in no particular order.
              While both Minnetonka and Edina were deep teams, they both graduated a lot. Players like Friend, Ramsey, and Reber in particular aren't easy to replace. A number of other teams' best players were seniors as well, like Bona at C.R. and Hewes at Stillwater. I haven't seen B-SM in a while, but Burns was definitely a special player when I did. It'll be interesting to see what Darwitz can do with Lakeville South, although they lost two D-I players as well. Hill still has H. Brandt, but how far they go will depend on how well they can support her. Roseville looks like the team to beat at this point in terms of what they have returning.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                While both Minnetonka and Edina were deep teams, they both graduated a lot. Players like Friend, Ramsey, and Reber in particular aren't easy to replace. A number of other teams' best players were seniors as well, like Bona at C.R. and Hewes at Stillwater. I haven't seen B-SM in a while, but Burns was definitely a special player when I did. It'll be interesting to see what Darwitz can do with Lakeville South, although they lost two D-I players as well. Hill still has H. Brandt, but how far they go will depend on how well they can support her. Roseville looks like the team to beat at this point in terms of what they have returning.
                If the just-posted Elite I League rosters [ http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/page...elite-i-league ] are any indication, Minnetonka (6), Roseville (5), Edina (4), and BSM (4) are each well represented and will not need to rely on a single "super star" to carry their teams. Also noticed that BSM and Roseville each have 7 girls who will be playing Elite II - rosters are posted here: http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/d...II_Rosters.pdf

Comment

Lakeville South will have 4 (not 2) former players on DI rosters this fall. Laden, Fritz-Ward, Post and Moore.

Comment

A little off topic.

Curious if there are girls that try to play hockey and basketball at the same time for their schools? If so how long are they able to play both before HAVING to choose one?

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                      A little off topic.

Curious if there are girls that try to play hockey and basketball at the same time for their schools? If so how long are they able to play both before HAVING to choose one?
                      I'm not 100%, but I don't believe anyone is allowed to play two different sports in the same season; i.e. in each of Fall, Winter, Spring you must limit yourself to one sport). Even if it was permitted, it wouldn't be practical because, other than on Sunday, the Holidays and on game days, most teams practice every day of the season. I can't imagine too many coaches would allow any of their players to show up only half the time.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        I'm not 100%, but I don't believe anyone is allowed to play two different sports in the same season; i.e. in each of Fall, Winter, Spring you must limit yourself to one sport). Even if it was permitted, it wouldn't be practical because, other than on Sunday, the Holidays and on game days, most teams practice every day of the season. I can't imagine too many coaches would allow any of their players to show up only half the time.
                        What about girls that play in their local association?

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                          What about girls that play in their local association?
                          Click on the "Handbook" link (toward the horizontal gold stripe across the top):

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/Publicati...okTOC.htm?ne=8

Comment

Originally posted by capitalist2 View Post
                            I'll make another bold prediction. The Red Knights will find they miss Jordyn Burns WAY more than they could have predicted.
                            I heard a rumor the Red Knights will be the beneficiary of a "transfer" of a player formerly with a AAA team...that could significantly assist them in recovering from the departure of Miss Burns. I myself am unable to verify the validity of the rumor...others may know more. Often have to wait for the season to start to actually verify transfers that are rumored during the off-season.
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                              I heard a rumor the Red Knights will be the beneficiary of a "transfer" of a player formerly with a AAA team...that could significantly assist them in recovering from the departure of Miss Burns. I myself am unable to verify the validity of the rumor...others may know more. Often have to wait for the season to start to actually verify transfers that are rumored during the off-season.
                              I don't know for sure but I would think that you are talking about Liv Halverson who transferred to Benilde last year but was ineligible due to the transfer rule so she played with the Thoroughbreds. She's a Richfield (or is it Edina) girl (her sister played at Edina) that went to NSA as a freshman and returned to MN as a sophomore. I think that is who you are talking about but I might be wrong since Benilde has picked up a lot of transfers in the last couple of years. I also heard that Roseville has picked up a high profile transfer too. I think the top 3 AA teams will probably be Minnetonka, Benilde and Roseville. Minnetonka and Benilde are in the same section so my guess is that one of them will face Roseville in the State Championship game.

Comment

Originally posted by SlewFoot View Post
                                I don't know for sure but I would think that you are talking about Liv Halverson who transferred to Benilde last year but was ineligible due to the transfer rule so she played with the Thoroughbreds. She's a Richfield (or is it Edina) girl (her sister played at Edina) that went to NSA as a freshman and returned to MN as a sophomore. I think that is who you are talking about but I might be wrong since Benilde has picked up a lot of transfers in the last couple of years. I also heard that Roseville has picked up a high profile transfer too. I think the top 3 AA teams will probably be Minnetonka, Benilde and Roseville. Minnetonka and Benilde are in the same section so my guess is that one of them will face Roseville in the State Championship game.
                                The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. It seems to me that a senior who transfers from one public high school program to another, after she has already been recruited to a D1 program, is only doing so selfishly in an attempt to win a state championship. Such a championship would be meaningless to me if it wasn’t won with the teammates I played with in high school and youth. I also feel bad for the player at Roseville who has worked hard, come up through the Roseville youth ranks, and will now be displaced because of this transfer player. It just doesn’t seem to me to be the right thing to do – call me old-fashioned in believing that loyalty is more important than victory.

Comment

Working...
                                X