X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey III

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/eve...3/group/sports

This is a very innovative approach to Girls Hockey in MN. Duluth Marshall is a very strong boys HS Team. The school has been part of a HS coop with at least 2 other schools in Duluth.

The MN Girls HS Model has worked well and is growing in the number of MN girls playing at D1 and I think at D3.

On the Boys Vision of US Hockey this might be embraced - I hope they succeed as an alternate to MN HS Hockey and a chance for MN Girls to play/compete on a National Level. I commend the creative thinking on this project to create an alternative in Duluth where I think girls hockey has stalled out a bit - maybe some of you up Nort' can comment on growth of girls hockey in Duluth?

Comment

Originally posted by joehockey View Post
      http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/eve...3/group/sports

This is a very innovative approach to Girls Hockey in MN. - I hope they succeed as an alternate to MN HS Hockey and a chance for MN Girls to play/compete on a National Level. I commend the creative thinking on this project to create an alternative in Duluth where I think girls hockey has stalled out a bit - maybe some of you up Nort' can comment on growth of girls hockey in Duluth?
      It is a great opportunity for the girls of the Iron Range and Upper Wisco that might not have especially strong programs available to them in their area. However, they will likely find a lot of resistance when it comes to scheduling since you can bet the USA Hockey affiliates will be following the company line and not want to schedule games against an "outlaw" opponent. They will also find that it will cost a lot more to travel and play than they anticipate and folks may not be willing to shell out a ton of coin to play for a public high school team/education.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
        They will also find that it will cost a lot more to travel and play than they anticipate and folks may not be willing to shell out a ton of coin to play for a public high school team/education.
        Agree on first point, but Duluth Marshall is a PRIVATE school, so presumably the parents of the students who do attend have the means to afford some level of travel.

What struck me most after reading the article is the length of the hockey season that is being planned - the full school year from opening day in September to when school ends in May? Obviously the MSHSL would never accept this as they dictate the exact beginning and end dates for all sports (fall, winter and spring) so as to give kids the opportunity to participate in multiple sports, if they so wish. The hockey players who join Marshall's program will have to be super dedicated and be willing to give up these other sports. And with an 8+ month long schedule the coaches will need to find ways to keep all the practices both challenging and interesting.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Congratulations to the current MN players who are invited to participate in the USA Hockey camp in Blaine. Good luck!

Sami Reber
          Hannah Brandt
          Milica McMillen
          Lee Stecklein
          Sam LaShomb
          Dani Cameranesi
          Kate Flug
          Molly Illikainen
          Kate Schipper

Miss Flug...another Roseville Raider and a youngster to keep an eye on IMO, who I believe will draw widespread attention from many division I programs. Already has most likely.
          Last edited by brookyone; 08-10-2011, 03:56 PM.
          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
            Congratulations to the current MN players who are invited to participate in the USA Hockey camp in Blaine. Good luck!

Sami Reber
            Hannah Brandt
            Milica McMillen
            Lee Stecklein
            Sam LaShomb
            Dani Cameranesi
            Kate Flug
            Molly Illikainen
            Kate Schipper

Miss Flug...another Roseville Raider and a youngster to keep an eye on IMO, who I believe will draw widespread attention from many division I programs. Already has most likely.

Pretty sure she's already committed and I think you'll be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by WCHFan View Post
              Pretty sure she's already committed and I think you'll be happy.
              I like those Roseville Raider players a lot once they're no longer SEC rivals!
              Last edited by brookyone; 08-10-2011, 07:45 PM.
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Recently announced in the Minnesota Girls High School Hockey forum, Hanna Brodt to St. Cloud State! Another member of the renowned Roseville Area hockey family headed to division I with the Huskies of SCSU. Good catch for St. Cloud.
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

The T'breds had their tryouts awhile back. New (2011-2012) roster now posted on their website.

http://www.mnthoroughbreds.com/players.htm
                  Minnesota Hockey

Comment

• Saw the post re the thoroughbreds roster so I checked out the website--the website description of the program is very outdated at best and at worst inaccurate /deceptive--suggests that 25% of current Division 1 players from MN are associated with the breds when the reality is far different.

Exploring the website in more depth reveals that the last three years counting incoming freshman they have 8 D I players the past three years . Hardly significant when drawing from a large pool when a number of individual high schools over this same 3 year period have 4 or 5 DI players such as Warroad, Blake, and Hopkins.
                    Last edited by hockeymaven; 09-10-2011, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymaven View Post
                      Saw the post re the thoroughbreds roster so I checked out the website--the website description of the program is very outdated at best and at worst inaccurate /deceptive--suggests that 25% of current Division 1 players from MN are associated with the breds when the reality is far different.

Exploring the website in more depth reveals that the last three years counting incoming freshman they have 8 D I players the past three years . Hardly significant when drawing from a large pool when a number of individual high schools over this same 3 year period have 4 or 5 DI players such as Warroad, Blake, and Hopkins.
                      There has been some suggestions in the high school hockey forum that costs and economic conditions are adversely affecting the T'breds ability to secure top tier in state players from the high school aged talent pool. Can't say if that's factual...or not.
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I don't think this is about just costs - my thoughts

1) T-Breds have historically advanced 2-3 strong players to D1 likley could continue. T-Breds are a great option for gilrs in W. Wisconsin and small uncompetitive HS Programs near the metro area - Kari Lundberg was at Woodbury and had a chance to really blosom with T-Breds and now for MSU - same for Dani Williams from Waconia now at BSU. Audrey Richards from Tartan is good example of current very talented player who wants to play D1 her HS Tartan has a very weak girls program. At one time CODP and T-Breds were joined at the hip and every young girl wanted to do CODP and then play for T-Breds - don't see that today.
                        2) The JWHL offers some outstanding competition but likely doubled the cost of participating on T-Breds - lots more travel and almost all by Air to maybe $15,000/year.
                        3) Some people outside of T-Breds have created some great options to increase development for girls playing HS Hockey - Winny Brodt/Chris Peterson and Tom Press have helped take MN Jr Whitecaps and MN Ice Cats to new level in summer jamborees (15 games) and competition like NAHA - at very reasonable cost. Plus Winny Brodt, Chris Peterson & Eric Johnson created the Elite I HS League for top 60 HS players and the MNHSCA the Elite II next 60 players this gives a HS player 40-50 games (HS & Elite schedule) . If you look at early commitments and total recruits last year I think the top HS players are following this track.

MN Hockey should continue to offer alternative tracks for top players and I hope the TBreds continue to survive and give girls an option other than having to go to SSM (+$30,000 a year) or another Hockey Prep program.

Comment

Originally posted by joehockey View Post
                          ...2) The JWHL offers some outstanding competition but likely doubled the cost of participating on T-Breds - lots more travel and almost all by Air to maybe $15,000/year.
                          3) Some people outside of T-Breds have created some great options to increase development for girls playing HS Hockey - Winny Brodt/Chris Peterson and Tom Press have helped take MN Jr Whitecaps and MN Ice Cats to new level in summer jamborees (15 games) and competition like NAHA - at very reasonable cost. Plus Winny Brodt, Chris Peterson & Eric Johnson created the Elite I HS League for top 60 HS players and the MNHSCA the Elite II next 60 players this gives a HS player 40-50 games (HS & Elite schedule) . If you look at early commitments and total recruits last year I think the top HS players are following this track.

MN Hockey should continue to offer alternative tracks for top players and I hope the T'Breds continue to survive and give girls an option other than having to go to SSM (+$30,000 a year) or another Hockey Prep program.
                          joe, I'm guessing you've read the post in the T'breds thread in the high school forum regarding the T'breds current and recent rosters, with the authors thoughts on current circumstances affecting the T'breds organization and subsequently, the team. That writer mentions the increased cost along with the general economic conditions that obviously are going to affect families of potential players as having a significant impact on the T'breds...coupled with the increasing alternative options players now have that didn't exist before, less expensive...some of which you mention in your post. Basically the authors point is that the T'breds may not be as advantageous for the local top tier player as they once were when options for those players were more limited, compared to current times. I think there's some merit to what the author posted in the high school forum...and cost may not be the whole / only issue, but it's a pretty big part of it for quite a few who in the past might have gone with the T'breds but now choose a different route to achieving their college hockey goals.

A lot of D-I potential players are sticking with their high school teams...admittedly, mostly in cases where the high school team is strong, then going the AAA before and after route...all of which you mention...but due to the difference in costs for the various options I have to believe they're affecting the T'breds program and their rosters. Yes, the T'breds are still a good option for some and I also hope to see that option continue to be there for those players. More options are good and larger numbers of players capable of and hoping to play college hockey (not just division I) make keeping all options including the T'breds available worthwhile for sure.

Another poster mentioned artificially inflated claims for numbers of D-I players produced by the T'breds as stated on their website. I'm all for complete honesty when marketing an organization such as the T'breds but people shouldn't get so narrowly focused on "division I" as a measure of the value of any such program. Functioning as a venue for advancing players to D-III hockey and schools is also a success story and 100% worthwhile. D-III may not be the objective for most who tryout for the T'breds but if it assists players in getting to a D-III college career...players who are fine with that or have that as their own primary goal...it's all good.
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                            There has been some suggestions in the high school hockey forum that costs and economic conditions are adversely affecting the T'breds ability to secure top tier in state players from the high school aged talent pool. Can't say if that's factual...or not.
                            I am hearing that some coaches might not be scouting the T'Breds. There seems to be a lot of individual play occurring and the girls are not learning puck movement and team play skills required at the next level. Not sure if this is driven because of the expense and thus focus on individual vs team achievement. If this is true, it might be a reason why top end players are not interested. The programs mentioned above Ice cats, OS,...are also very good development. A lot of coaches are also adamant about players being multi-sport athletes to improve athleticism and learn to balance multiple activities. The high school programs fulfill this goal.

Comment

Alrighty...getting back to MSHSL hockey for the girls, a bold prediction. Watch out for those Red Knights in 2011-2012. Okay...maybe not all that bold.
                              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

How does Roseville look this yr. Saw that they had a younger player, a '13 commit, doing really well at the Ntl level and have the Gopher defensive recruit. Are they ready for another run?

Comment

Working...
                                X