X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey III

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Another titan-like clash on Saturday features No. 1 ranked Minnetonka vs. No. 4 Benilde-St. Margaret's. Might have to go do a little scouting of a prominant Gopher recruit...
    According to the mngirlshockeyhub, Minnetonka wins an OT thriller over BSM, 2-1. They darn near did it for ya D2D! Must have been a heckuva game. I think BSM is serving notice for the future...a team to be reckoned with. I hear they're young...but looking like a real threat already...come section playoff time.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
      In progress at the SuperRink, it's Irondale 6, St. Francis/North Branch 2. One player has scored ALL 6 Irondale goals. Go on...take a wild guess.
      I only know two players on that roster, and I'm pretty sure Gillian McDonald wouldn't be connecting six times, so ...
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        I only know two players on that roster, and I'm pretty sure Gillian McDonald wouldn't be connecting six times, so ...
        Depends on whether she is using her Bauer or her Calloway. (Borrowing from Caddyshack) "Par three here at Blaine, Little G steps up to the goal line, she lets fly with a beautiful wedge shot...OH, it's in the net, the crowd goes wild"

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
          According to the mngirlshockeyhub, Minnetonka wins an OT thriller over BSM, 2-1. They darn near did it for ya D2D! Must have been a heckuva game. I think BSM is serving notice for the future...a team to be reckoned with. I hear they're young...but looking like a real threat already...come section playoff time.
          Minnetonka defintely had the edge in play for the first half of the game, as BSM's young players looked tight. I thought they were actually fortunate to be down just 0-1 going into the third period, and then they started to play much better and tied the score at 1-1 on a beautiful tic-tac-toe passing play with 1:15 to go. However in overtime Minnetonka won it on kind a fluky goal. Future Gopher Rachel Ramsey shot a high wrister from the point that hit teammate Amy Peterson up high and it deflected sharply, straight down and into the net. There was some question where it hit Peterson (her stick, arm or shoulder pad?) but the refs ruled it good. Oh well, great game to watch and it's likely that these two teams will meet again in Sections.

AND, as some consolation and in another great game, the BSM boys team came back to beat Minnetonka 3-2 in the nightcap!
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Last night at the Roseville Arena:

Roseville 3, Stillwater 2.

It was a pretty evenly matched, high speed, competitive high school hockey game. The game's number 1 star and definitely one to watch for the future was Roseville 10th grader Kate Flug who had two goals and an assist on the third Roseville goal, the game winner by Katherine Pauletti. Also standing out for the Raiders were big and mobile 11th grade defender Lee Stecklein and senior goaltender Jenna Boss.

The Stillwater goals were scored by Sammi Reiter and Allison Eder-Zdechlik.
            Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
              The game's number 1 star and definitely one to watch for the future was Roseville 10th grader Kate Flug who had two goals and an assist on the third Roseville goal, the game winner by Katherine Pauletti.
              I've noticed that Flug has done a good job filling the scoresheet on a regular basis so far this season. Hope to get out and watch her team before too long. Thanks to both you and D2D for the game reports.

And Hux, that would truly qualify as a "Cinderella Story".
              Last edited by ARM; 12-19-2010, 09:33 AM. Reason: grammatically challenged

Comment

Interesting note in the Charlie Walters column in the St. Paul Pioneer Press today that Craig Norwich is planning to form a HS Post Grad Team and Program in the Twin Cities next year to help more girls from MN be able to achieve their dream to play college hockey.

Comment

Good intent, but not as easy as it may seem from the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                    Good intent, but not as easy as it may seem from the outside.
                    To form a team or help more girls play college hockey? Anyway, with his experience, I don't know that the "from the outside" label would apply.

Comment

Originally posted by joehockey View Post
                      Interesting note in the Charlie Walters column in the St. Paul Pioneer Press today that Craig Norwich is planning to form a HS Post Grad Team and Program in the Twin Cities next year to help more girls from MN be able to achieve their dream to play college hockey.
                      After the success of the Minnesota Crunch in Grand Rapids (they beat SSM's U19 this fall) it was only a matter of time before this model was transplanted to the cities. It's time and it's a great idea. The Crunch have sent girls to D1 teams the last couple years and now are very comptetive in the U19AAA world.

Whether Norwich is the guy to make it a success is another matter. Before sending your daughter into the program I'd check around with those at SPA, where Norwich's attempt to make the boys' program the Shattuck of St. Paul was a complete disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by capitalist View Post
                        After the success of the Minnesota Crunch in Grand Rapids (they beat SSM's U19 this fall) it was only a matter of time before this model was transplanted to the cities. It's time and it's a great idea. The Crunch have sent girls to D1 teams the last couple years and now are very comptetive in the U19AAA world.

Whether Norwich is the guy to make it a success is another matter. Before sending your daughter into the program I'd check around with those at SPA, where Norwich's attempt to make the boys' program the Shattuck of St. Paul was a complete disaster.
                        In the TC, you are better off going to an established program like the Thoroughbreds. While it may seem like a no brainer, putting together a program like this takes a lot of resources...as in deep pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                          In the TC, you are better off going to an established program like the Thoroughbreds. While it may seem like a no brainer, putting together a program like this takes a lot of resources...as in deep pockets.
                          Personally, for the player I'm responsible for, the MN HS system provides everything she'll ever need or want--we're lucky to have it so good.
                          My guess is that a post-grad program like the Crunch in the cities would serve a totally different group of players than the T-Breds.
                          T-Bred players have a definite MO, though some moms will argue about it: usually they're from high schools without a strong tradition in girls' hockey, or from smallish Class A schools who play in a league without stout competition. Many are from Western Wisconsin, where HS hockey isn't strong. You can throw in a couple who were simply not happy with the team they were playing for, be it the girls in their class or a coach. I know there have been girls who joined the T-Breds for the first time as a post-grad, but it is very rare.
                          I think the Crunch player is a totally different type: as a senior they for whatever reason didn't find a college situation to move into that they were comfortable with. They're willing to give it one more year of hard work to see if they can find something more to their liking.
                          The Twin Cities must have the highest concentration of girl hockey players in the country. Minnesota has more players by double than any other state. Therefore it makes sense that no stone will be left unturned concerning the options for the girls. U19B hockey, basically for HS-aged girls who don't want the 6-day commitment of a HS program, has grown exponentially in the last three or four years. Arenas have been built and varsity programs have popped up in places like Luverne, Sleepy Eye-Dassel-Cokato, and Windom (which before this year I'd have been certain didn't have a Boys' team much less Girls'). I'm willing to bet there are more Spring-Summer-Fall programs in the Twin Cities than there are Winter programs in all but a couple other states.
                          I don't know the logistics and finances of starting an operation like this (it sounds like you sure do), but it's pretty certain a program like this was going to get started eventually. Like with any other program in this land of many girls' hockey opportunities, it's Buyer Beware.

Comment

Originally posted by capitalist View Post
                            Personally, for the player I'm responsible for, the MN HS system provides everything she'll ever need or want--we're lucky to have it so good.
                            My guess is that a post-grad program like the Crunch in the cities would serve a totally different group of players than the T-Breds.
                            T-Bred players have a definite MO, though some moms will argue about it: usually they're from high schools without a strong tradition in girls' hockey, or from smallish Class A schools who play in a league without stout competition. Many are from Western Wisconsin, where HS hockey isn't strong. You can throw in a couple who were simply not happy with the team they were playing for, be it the girls in their class or a coach. I know there have been girls who joined the T-Breds for the first time as a post-grad, but it is very rare.
                            I think the Crunch player is a totally different type: as a senior they for whatever reason didn't find a college situation to move into that they were comfortable with. They're willing to give it one more year of hard work to see if they can find something more to their liking.
                            The Twin Cities must have the highest concentration of girl hockey players in the country. Minnesota has more players by double than any other state. Therefore it makes sense that no stone will be left unturned concerning the options for the girls. U19B hockey, basically for HS-aged girls who don't want the 6-day commitment of a HS program, has grown exponentially in the last three or four years. Arenas have been built and varsity programs have popped up in places like Luverne, Sleepy Eye-Dassel-Cokato, and Windom (which before this year I'd have been certain didn't have a Boys' team much less Girls'). I'm willing to bet there are more Spring-Summer-Fall programs in the Twin Cities than there are Winter programs in all but a couple other states.
                            I don't know the logistics and finances of starting an operation like this (it sounds like you sure do), but it's pretty certain a program like this was going to get started eventually. Like with any other program in this land of many girls' hockey opportunities, it's Buyer Beware.
                            I agree, the high school model, thanks to the strong summer and fall "elite" programs, works just fine at turning out talented players. The T-Breds are a perfect fit for players who find themselves in the situations you describe, as well as for those looking for a PG year of development/exposure. An advantage the T-Breds have over the Crunch, is a higher degree of visibility via the JWHL, particularly regarding exposure to Eastern schools.

A PG only program following the Crunch model would, I think, struggle to exist in a "market" with excellent high school, T-Breds, and SSM as options. The difficulty being the abilty to find sufficient players capable of making the jump to the next level (particularly D1) and willing to pay the freight.
                            Last edited by Hux; 12-21-2010, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Always a big event for these two small northern Minnesota towns:

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news...rrer_id=115187

Comment

Another nice article on OSU recruit - and the State's leading scorer - Taylor Kuehl:

Taylor Made

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/pages/...376948&feedID=

Comment

Working...
                                X