This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey III

"The early dominance by Irondale had a group of Knight jocks in the stands speculating on how many goals Lorence would score on this occasion; at least a half-dozen was the consensus."

http://presspubs.com/articles/2010/1...9854211844.txt
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Yes it's been very slow lately. Very disappointing if they don't correct this--but minnesotasportsonline doesn't even have rosters yet or team stats, just schedules and barebones boxscores.

Comment

From the Star Tribune:

"Season Preview": http://www.startribune.com/sports/pr...eyD8i_nchO7DUr

"Girls' hockey: Top 10 metro teams": http://www.startribune.com/sports/pr...GD7EaDh_HPiaUr

"20 girls' hockey players to watch": http://www.startribune.com/sports/pr...GD7EaDh_HPiaUr

Comment

Originally posted by capitalist View Post
          Yes it's been very slow lately. Very disappointing if they don't correct this...
          Mngirlshockeyhub seems much faster today.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            "20 girls' hockey players to watch": http://www.startribune.com/sports/pr...GD7EaDh_HPiaUr
            That's a good list. A little difficult to limit the "players to watch" to just 20 these days.

• Jonna Curtis, F, jr., Elk River

Turned heads with 35 goals last season.
            IMO, the "Big Fish" in the junior class that I've not yet heard any commitment info about.
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Boy I hate to be nit-picky, and I appreciate that the paper spends at least a little time covering girls' hockey, but they need a quick fact-check. Marissa Brandt spent a season on the bench because of a concussion in 2008-09, not last year. 2009-10 she played every game for the Pioneers. And Ms. Bellows may be impressing someone, but it's on JV so far this year, at least mostly. Her varsity counterpart Caitlin Nielson, however, is one of the top 3 or 4 sophomores in the state. And the last article should be titled "Top 20 upper-classgirls who we all know about and are committed to D1 schools". The more exciting 'ones to watch' are the sophomores and in some cases freshmen who will be emerging big-time this year: Nielson, Roseville's Kate Flug, Blake's Dani Camerenesi, Minnetonka's Sydney Baldwin (Fr), BSM's Caitlin Reilly (Shannon's sister), Stillwater's Sara Bustad, White Bear's Kristi Longendyke, and Irondale's Sam Donovan (Fr), among others.

Comment

And the last article should be titled "Top 20 upper-classgirls who we all know about and are committed to D1 schools". The more exciting 'ones to watch' are the sophomores and in some cases freshmen who will be emerging big-time this year: Nielson, Roseville's Kate Flug, Blake's Dani Camerenesi, Minnetonka's Sydney Baldwin (Fr), BSM's Caitlin Reilly (Shannon's sister), Stillwater's Sara Bustad, White Bear's Kristi Longendyke, and Irondale's Sam Donovan (Fr), among others.
                I'm probably being a little nit picky too, but the fact the players mentioned are upperclassmen, familiar to fans and mostly committed to division I programs doesn't make them less exciting to watch for many fans...or the characterization by the Strib as "players to watch" untrue...or the title inaccurate, or inappropriate. The list could also be aimed at readers less familiar with those players than the dedicated girls high school fan might be. I'd also guess the typical Strib sports writer is probably not as familiar with the talent across all classes as those dedicated fans...although I know a couple personally that do follow the sport closely. I'd agree about the many exciting underclassmen likely to emerge as talented varsity players, but don't think it's necessary to pit one group against the other when merely attempting to bring attention to or recognize the juniors and seniors on the varsity squads. Just giving them their due IMO.

It's just what I was attempting to get at when I posted:

That's a good list. A little difficult to limit the "players to watch" to just 20 these days.
                Last edited by brookyone; 11-23-2010, 04:51 PM.
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

You're right--the 'dedicated' nuts already discuss all of this at the arena and aren't the ones that the stories are aimed at. And you're also right that the upperclassgirls listed there deserve their due in the sports section even if they are old news to the dedicated nuts.
                  Before I leave this alone though I have to mention I forgot to list a couple of the best of the up-and-comers in sophomores Amy Menke and Lauren Hespenheide from Shakopee. The two of them came out of nowhere and led Shakopee over a loaded Minnetonka team to a state title in U12A in 2008. It left everybody saying, "Shakopee? What? Huh?" Then they joined the varsity in 8th grade and were 1st and 2nd in team scoring their freshman year and everything made sense.

Some of the good games this weekend:
                  Friday
                  --BSM/Breck and Blake/Edina starting at 6:00 at Braemar in the CakeEater Classic.
                  --Alexandria visits Mound-Westonka
                  --Moundsview vs. Coon Rapids at Schwans as part of the Maple Grove tournament I believe. Roseville and Hopkins were in this for a couple years with Maple Grove and Burnsville.

Saturday
                  --Blaine at Grand Rapids should be pretty good
                  --Shakopee at Anoka (this is Shakopee's 7th game already)
                  --Stillwater at HM at Aldrich--the 3rd step in Hill-Murray's hellish road thru 5 of the 7 best teams in the state (plus EP). All that's missing is Roseville and they have a good chance of meeting them in the Section 4AA tournament.

Comment

Some of the good games this weekend:
                    Friday
                    --BSM/Breck and Blake/Edina starting at 6:00 at Braemar in the CakeEater Classic.
                    Some fun video highlights of the CakeEater Classic Championship game:

http://www.foxpreps.com/dpp/hockey/Bears-Take-the-Cake

(click on the large play button ( > ) to view)

Comment

Early season stats for the skaters:

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/subs...order_dir=DESC
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Highlights of this past week:
                        Coon Rapids won the NSC Tournament with wins over MV and Irondale. EP beat MV for 3rd. These were 4 very tight entertaining games between 4 very good teams. All 4 will be around to make noise in sections.
                        Insert Howard Cosell voice: "Down goes Edina. Down goes Edina."
                        Blake beat host Edina in the first round of the CakeEater. BSM handled Breck and then the championship game, BSM vs. Blake, ended in a tie. Since it was a tournament they settled it with a shootout, but oh well. It looks like Blake gets the distinction this year of being the best TC team in class A. In fact, since Warroad has a loss, Blake should really be #1 now, period. They followed the CakeEater with a win over Irondale.
                        Hastings beat WBL and lost to Stillwater. Wow there are a lot of good teams in the Suburban East this year.
                        Coon Rapids proved what's what in the NW Suburban by beating Elk River convincingly on Tuesday, 5-1.
                        HM beat Stillwater on Saturday, then lost to EP on Tuesday. They outshot EP 49-20. HB is now officially 'on the schneid' with one goal in 4 games. She will snap out of it eventually, and woe be unto those overmatched Classic Suburban rivals when she does. In the meantime, however, HM faces Warroad and Roseau on Friday and Saturday. Ugh if HM can't score.
                        GRG fended off the latest two southern teams to visit, beating Roch. Mayo and Blaine. The Lightning have staked a claim to being the team to beat in 7AA with wins over Duluth and CEC on the past two Tuesday nights. GRG and Roseau are the only northern AA teams who look top-notch. Everybody else is rebuilding.

This weekend:
                        Roseau/Warroad in town to play Edina/HM Friday and Saturday at Braemar/Aldrich. All 4 games are classics. You can fit one in whether you live East or West.
                        BSM swings thru Grand Rapids and Cloquet. Both should be good games, especially Friday in Grand Rapids.
                        Anoka vs. SSP Sat at Wakota. There aren't many really good teams in Class A, but SSP is one of them. Anoka is young but has been surprising--a pretty good freshman class there (they were the ones who were 2nd in State in U12A in 2009)
                        PHM is at Minnetonka on Saturday. Noteworthy because PHM was a state tournament team last year, and Minnetonka wasn't. Now this is a mismatch in favor of Minnetonka.
                        Rosemount vs. Lakeville North at Ames on Saturday (see Mtka vs PHM).

Comment

A couple of unrelated articles about Minnesota girls high school hockey:

Prep girls hockey preview: Illikainen connection makes Lightning among the favorites

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/eve...cle/id/185337/

2010-11 Winter Sports Preview: A new era in Woodbury girls hockey

http://www.woodburybulletin.com/even.../group/Sports/

(I found the college hockey background of Woodbury's new coach to be very interesting)

Comment

7:30 PM Tonight. Edina vs. Roseville at Roseville Arena, Lexington and Cty. Rd C.

Comment

Scoring leaders stats:

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/subs...order_dir=DESC

Several you'd expect to see near the top are in fact showing up in the top 25 after playing half a dozen games or so now.
                              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

7:30 PM Tonight. Edina vs. Roseville at Roseville Arena, Lexington and Cty. Rd C.
                                Roseville wins 5-1 in a rematch of their State Championship game last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X