X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey III

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
    I'd like to see the match up...thinking also that the current Tonka team is superior to those dominant EP teams of yore.
    I'd take EP and even the champions of the last 3 or years over this years Mtka team. No disrespect just feel much stronger teams in years past. Saw many games last year and just felt it wasn't as strong. In years past there were 15- 20 teams that could win a championship. Last year maybe 5-6. Teams just not as deep. Very few teams with more than one line. Don't feel there's as many dominate goalies as years past.

Of course this can never be proved...But think about those teams from EP, Roseville, Stillwater, BSM, Warroad etc. Many loaded teams with 3 strong lines and tending.

Comment

• Originally posted by WCHFan View Post
      I'd take EP and even the champions of the last 3 or years over this years Mtka team. No disrespect just feel much stronger teams in years past. Saw many games last year and just felt it wasn't as strong. In years past there were 15- 20 teams that could win a championship. Last year maybe 5-6. Teams just not as deep. Very few teams with more than one line. Don't feel there's as many dominate goalies as years past.
      Well in the most recent year (2011-12) Minnetonka WAS the state champion and they have pretty much their whole team returning. They will be very deep and will have the luxury of filling the few open spots with the top 3 or 4 players off of last year's state champion U14 team, plus the two transfers. They look to be especially strong defensively, having three of the state's top defenders and a top-ranked goaltender (USA U18 camp attendee).

Originally posted by WCHFan View Post
      Of course this can never be proved...But think about those teams from EP, Roseville, Stillwater, BSM, Warroad etc. Many loaded teams with 3 strong lines and tending.
      I agree that compared to years past the overall quality and depth of MN girls high school hockey is down. As you say there just isn't the number of teams at the top tier that there used to be. Which in turn probably makes it that much easier for a very strong team like a Minnetonka to really stand out. Going into the season they most certainly will be ranked No.1 and will be the strong favorite to repeat as AA champs. They do, however, look to have a very strong schedule and should be tested early and often. So we'll just have to wait and see how things develop.
      Last edited by D2D; 08-26-2012, 11:58 PM.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        I'd agree up until the last sentence. Back when Eden Prairie was loaded with people like Seeler and Feste and dominating Minnesota HS hockey, they scrimmaged S-SM and lost in the 5 to 7 goal range. While Shattuck might not be quite as powerful this year, I'd still expect them to be able to handle a public HS team from the state.
        I'd agree with you but it appears to me that SSM may be down quite a bit from when they had the likes of the two Lams, Decker and Kessel. It will be interesting to see how many of their current players go on to have stellar college careers and also play at the national level, and how this compares to a top high school team like Minnetonka. In terms of head-to-head match-ups against Minnesota high schools I believe last year there was just one, vs. a very young BSM team. While SSM did win 3-0, the shots were very close at 27-25 and from all reports the play was very even.

Comment

Sticks:

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/online...n-t-shoot.html
          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Fall Elite League rosters are posted:

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/teams/...th-season.html

Couldn't help but notice that of the three teams that are made up of Minnesota high school girls (60 players in total) 15 of them (25%) are from either Minnetonka or Benilde-St. Margaret's (7 and 8 respectively). It is also very surprising to see that perennial power Roseville is not represented this year.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
              I'd like to see the match up...thinking also that the current Tonka team is superior to those dominant EP teams of yore.
              I would love to see the match up. Let us see how the fall elite league goes. Some very good talent will play against SSM

Comment

Here is schedule of competition. Hats off to the continued evolution of the Elite League to allow the top 60 HS players in MN to get some NA competition prior to the HS season.

Practices are Wednesdays and games are $5 for adults. Not sure the breakdown from there.

2012 UMHSEL ELITE LEAGUE SCHEDULE

Date DOW Location Rink Start End Description Team 1 Team 2 League
                9/19/2012 Wednesday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 6:30 PM 7:30 PM Practice Red White Elite
                9/19/2012 Wednesday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 7:40 PM 8:40 PM Practice Black Alternates Elite
                9/22/2012 Saturday NHC- St. Cloud Practice Rink 8:15 AM 9:30 AM Game Red - UMHSEL Belle Tire Elite
                9/22/2012 Saturday NHC- St. Cloud Practice Rink 9:45 AM 11:00 AM Game Black - UMHSEL Westman Wildcats Elite
                9/22/2012 Saturday NHC- St. Cloud Practice Rink 11:15 AM 12:30 PM Game White - UMHSEL Winnepeg Auros Elite
                9/22/2012 Saturday NHC- St. Cloud Main Rink 2:45 PM 4:00 PM Game Black - UMHSEL Belle Tire Elite
                9/22/2012 Saturday NHC- St. Cloud Main Rink 4:15 PM 5:30 PM Game Red - UMHSEL White - UMHSEL Elite
                9/23/2012 Sunday NHC- St. Cloud Main Rink 8:00 AM 9:15 AM Game Black - UMHSEL Chicago Y.A. Elite
                9/23/2012 Sunday NHC- St. Cloud Practice Rink 9:15 AM 10:30 AM Game White - UMHSEL Granite City L.J. Elite
                9/23/2012 Sunday NHC- St. Cloud Main Rink 11:00 AM 12:15 PM Game Red - UMHSEL Westman Wildcats Elite

9/26/2012 Wednesday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 6:10 PM 7:10 PM Practice Black Red Elite
                9/26/2012 Wednesday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 7:20 PM 8:20 PM Practice White Alternates Elite
                9/29/2012 Saturday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 5:30 PM 7:15 PM Game Black - UMHSEL Shattuck U19 Elite
                9/29/2012 Saturday Fogerty Ice Arena North Rink 6:00 PM 7:45 PM Game White - UMHSEL Red - UMHSEL Elite
                9/30/2012 Sunday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 8:00 AM 9:45 AM Game White - UMHSEL Black - UMHSEL Elite
                9/30/2012 Sunday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 10:00 AM 11:45 AM Game Shattuck U19 Red - UMHSEL Elite
                9/30/2012 Sunday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 2:50 PM 4:35 PM Game Red - UMHSEL Black - UMHSEL Elite
                9/30/2012 Sunday Fogerty Ice Arena North Rink 3:20 PM 5:05 PM Game White- UMHSEL Shattuck U19 Elite

10/3/2012 Wednesday Fogerty Ice Arena North Rink 6:00 PM 7:00 PM Practice Black White Elite
                10/3/2012 Wednesday Fogerty Ice Arena North Rink 7:10 PM 8:10 PM Practice Red Alternates Elite
                10/6/2012 Saturday Fogerty Ice Arena North Rink 4:20 PM 6:05 PM Game Red - UMHSEL Shattuck U16 Elite
                10/6/2012 Saturday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 5:10 PM 6:55 PM Game White - UMHSEL Black - UMHSEL Elite
                10/7/2012 Sunday Fogerty Ice Arena North Rink 8:00 AM 9:45 AM Game White - UMHSEL Red - UMHSEL Elite
                10/7/2012 Sunday Fogerty Ice Arena North Rink 10:00 AM 11:45 AM Game Black - UMHSEL Shattuck U16 Elite
                10/7/2012 Sunday Fogerty Ice Arena North Rink 2:10 PM 3:55 PM Game White - UMHSEL Shattuck U16 Elite
                10/7/2012 Sunday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 4:00 PM 5:45 PM Game Red - UMHSEL Black - UMHSEL Elite

10/10/2012 Wednesday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 5:30 PM 6:30 PM Practice Red White Elite
                10/10/2012 Wednesday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 6:40 PM 7:40 PM Practice Black Alternates Elite
                10/13/2012 Saturday Fogerty Ice Arena North Rink 5:30 PM 7:15 PM Game White - UMHSEL Red - UMHSEL Elite
                10/13/2012 Saturday @ Shattuck S.M. SSM 7:00 PM 8:45 PM Game Black - UMHSEL Shattuck U19 Elite
                10/14/2012 Sunday @ Shattuck S.M. SSM 9:00 AM 10:45 AM Game White - UMHSEL Shattuck U19 Elite
                10/14/2012 Sunday Fogerty Ice Arena North Rink 9:10 AM 10:55 AM Game Red - UMHSEL Black - UMHSEL Elite
                10/14/2012 Sunday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 3:10 PM 4:55 PM Game White - UMHSEL Black - UMHSEL Elite
                10/14/2012 Sunday @ Shattuck S.M. SSM 3:30 PM 5:15 PM Game Red - UMHSEL Shattuck U19 Elite

10/17/2012 Wednesday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 6:30 PM 7:30 PM Practice Black Red Elite
                10/17/2012 Wednesday Fogerty Ice Arena North Rink 6:40 PM 7:40 PM Practice White Alternates Elite
                10/19/2012 Friday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 6:00 PM 7:45 PM Game Shattuck Honey Baked Elite
                10/19/2012 Friday Fogerty Ice Arena North Rink 6:20 PM 8:05 PM Game Black - UMHSEL Thunder Bay Elite
                10/19/2012 Friday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 7:55 PM 9:40 PM Game White - UMHSEL Wisconsin Elite
                10/19/2012 Friday Fogerty Ice Arena North Rink 8:15 PM 10:00 PM Game Red - UMHSEL Little Caesars Elite
                10/20/2012 Saturday Fogerty Ice Arena North Rink 8:00 AM 9:45 AM Game Black - UMHSEL Honey Baked Elite
                10/20/2012 Saturday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 8:15 AM 10:00 AM Game Red - UMHSEL Wisconsin Elite
                10/20/2012 Saturday Fogerty Ice Arena North Rink 9:55 AM 11:40 AM Game Shattuck Little Caesars Elite
                10/20/2012 Saturday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 10:10 AM 11:55 AM Game White - UMHSEL Thunder Bay Elite
                10/20/2012 Saturday Fogerty Ice Arena North Rink 3:00 PM 4:45 PM Game Red - UMHSEL Honey Baked Elite
                10/20/2012 Saturday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 3:15 PM 5:00 PM Game Black - UMHSEL Shattuck Elite
                10/20/2012 Saturday Fogerty Ice Arena North Rink 4:55 PM 6:40 PM Game White - UMHSEL Little Caesars Elite
                10/20/2012 Saturday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 5:10 PM 6:55 PM Game Thunder Bay Wisconsin Elite
                10/21/2012 Sunday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 8:00 AM 9:45 AM Game TBD TBD Elite
                10/21/2012 Sunday Fogerty Ice Arena North Rink 8:20 AM 10:05 AM Game TBD TBD Elite
                10/21/2012 Sunday Fogerty Ice Arena South Rink 9:55 AM 11:40 AM Game TBD TBD Elite
                10/21/2012 Sunday Fogerty Ice Arena North Rink 10:15 AM 12:00 PM Game TBD TBD Elite

Little Ceasars Detriot Canada Cup Tournament (Detriot, MI)- Thursday,October 25th- Sunday, October 28th

Comment

So not sure where you put this data but looked at the top rosters for 2012-13 with MN natives on the roster

St Cloud, WCHA 25 Roster 15 from MN 60% of total
                  Minnesota, WCHA 22 Roster 12 from MN 55% of total
                  Providence, Hockey East 23 Roster 10 from MN 43% of total
                  Mankato, WCHA 24 Roster 10 from MN 42% of total
                  UND, WCHA 26 Roster 10 from MN 38% of total
                  Last edited by joehockey; 09-15-2012, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    Fall Elite League rosters are posted:

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/teams/...th-season.html

Couldn't help but notice that of the three teams that are made up of Minnesota high school girls (60 players in total) 15 of them (25%) are from either Minnetonka or Benilde-St. Margaret's (7 and 8 respectively). It is also very surprising to see that perennial power Roseville is not represented this year.
                    Kate Flug is from Roseville.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeysbest View Post
                      Kate Flug is from Roseville.
                      Sorry for the oversight; I was well aware that Miss Flug hails from Roseville but missed it here.

Comment

Was going to start a thread but the topic didn't seem specific to women's college hockey. At a tournament this week, one of the rules states; "Girls will shake hands after each game with GLOVES ON."

Has there been some incident about this? Seems odd. Thought others around the HS age group might have some input.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                          Was going to start a thread but the topic didn't seem specific to women's college hockey. At a tournament this week, one of the rules states; "Girls will shake hands after each game with GLOVES ON."

Has there been some incident about this? Seems odd. Thought others around the HS age group might have some input.
                          Only thing I can think of is they are worried about spreading a flu or some other illness.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            Only thing I can think of is they are worried about spreading a flu or some other illness.
                            MRSA most likely. Nasty stuff that requires strong antibiotics to kill, usually via IV

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                              MRSA most likely. Nasty stuff that requires strong antibiotics to kill, usually via IV
                              Spot on. I was playing five or so years ago, and contracted said "bug". I can't say for sure that I contracted it in hockey, but it in s a huge coincidence, a nurse on a team we played a week or so before had recently had to take time off for a "highly contagious bacterial infection." It took me six months to get clear of it. I've been gloves on ever since.
                              "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/latest...gh-school.html

Getting primed for the action in a couple weeks or so. Again, last season's final rankings...which should have some adjustment for the 2012-2013 pre-season I'd guess. I think BSM slides into #2 behind Tonka. Edina probably strong / top 5 again. I'd probably rank Srillwater, Eagan and Lakeville South higher than they finished. Never overlook Roseville...it seems, almost regardless of their losses.
                                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X