Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey III

Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey III

Slightly off topic - not girls hockey!

It was the boys turn this past weekend and Channel 45 put together a fun montage of the tournament for fans of the high school game here in Minnesota:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_V-Wwt7ByE
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

MINNESOTA HOCKEY

How 'bout a threepeat season series sweep of Badgers & Bulldogs in 2014-2015? Okay...not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    I have no idea how she performs during the rest of the season, but this kid sure has stepped up at crunch time over the past two state tournaments.
    She's an early verbal commit to Penn State, which is worth exactly what any other early verbal commit is (not much), but she looks promising.
    Click to visit the official team page for Penn State women's hockey: http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-...ckey-body.html

Quote Originally Posted by PennStateWomensHockey View Post
    She's an early verbal commit to Penn State, which is worth exactly what any other early verbal commit is (not much), but she looks promising.
    It has always seemed to me that verbals for this particular sport are honored at a high percentage*, and I agree, if she does ultimately end up at Penn State she's a nice addition for the Nittany Lions.

Yes...that's right spell check..."Nittany."

*Bucking the recent trend on The Shores of Gitchee.
    MINNESOTA HOCKEY

How 'bout a threepeat season series sweep of Badgers & Bulldogs in 2014-2015? Okay...not likely.

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/d...sters-A_1_.pdf

All the info I've come across so far.

Strike that...here's the 16's:

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/d...sters-A_1_.pdf
    Last edited by brookyone; 04-17-2012 at 08:01 PM.
    MINNESOTA HOCKEY

Quote Originally Posted by brookyone View Post
    If my math is correct I count 7 players each (14 total) between Section 6AA rivals BSM and Minnetonka. Once again, both of these teams appear to be pretty loaded.

Minnesota 16's Girls' National Camp Selections 2012

Lynn Astrup Defense Warroad
    Sydney Baldwin Defense Minnetonka
    Kelsey Crow Defense Minnetonka
    Mary Kate Hallett Defense St. Paul United
    Danielle Sadek Defense Lakeville North

Alev Baysoy Forward St. Paul United
    McKenna Brand Forward NAHA
    Samantha Donovan Forward Irondale
    Kiersten Falk Forward Blaine
    Reagan Haley Forward Red Wing
    Alexis Joyce Forward Lakeville North
    Maliya Rodgers Forward Hopkins
    Nicole Schammel Forward Red Wing
    Taylor Williamson Forward Edina

Minnesota 17's Girls' National Camp Selections 2012

Defense Kendra Goodrich Rosemount
    Defense Paige Haley Red Wing
    Defense Sidney Morin Minnetonka
    Defense Savannah Quandt Mankato East

Forward Dani Cameranesi Blake
    Forward Kate Flug Roseville
    Forward Amy Menke Shakopee
    Forward Caitlin Reilly Benilde-St. Margaret's
    Forward Kate Schipper Breck
    Forward Megan Wolfe Eagan

Congratulations to all!
    MINNESOTA HOCKEY

Drinking the Koolaid
    In the State of Arrogance just ouside of Obsession

Ex-North St. Paul star Allie Thunstrom named Polars' girls hockey coach

Allie Thunstrom is returning home to North St. Paul. The former Polars girls hockey star told the Pioneer Press on Wednesday, May 16, that she has accepted a job as the program's head coach. ......Thunstrom, a 2006 North St. Paul graduate, was Minnesota's Ms. Hockey winner her senior season. She then had a standout four-year career at Boston College.....

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...med?source=rss

Congrats Allie

MINNESOTA HOCKEY

Quote Originally Posted by Hux View Post
    Player....................Position ...............(Current Team) .......................Hometown

(Based on reliable info, but to paraphrase Yogi, "It ain't official 'til it's official.")
    * Denotes commitments are official, as announced by the school

Minnesota-Duluth
    Sidney Morin ....................D .........................(Minnetonka) ..............................Minnetonka, MN

Penn State
    Laura Bowman .................F ...............................(Minnetonka) .........................Minnetonka, MN
    Amy Petersen ..................F ...............................(Minnetonka) .........................Minnetonka, MN

Quinnipiac
    Sydney Rossman ..............G ............................(Minnetonka) ...........................Minnetonka, MN

Rensselaer
    Hannah Behounek .............D .............................(Minnetonka) ..........................Minnetonka, MN
    Think Tonka might have a pretty strong team in 2012-2013? Possibly a pre-season #1 ranking?
    MINNESOTA HOCKEY

Think Tonka might have a pretty strong team in 2012-2013? Possibly a pre-season #1 ranking?
    Pretty much a given since they are the defending State Champs!

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Pretty much a given since they are the defending State Champs!
    Been doing some reading and catching up in the high school forum. One gets the impression that a couple above average athletes, heretofore not among the Skipper student body have been mysteriously drawn to the Tonka program.
    MINNESOTA HOCKEY

Been doing some reading and catching up in the high school forum. One gets the impression that a couple above average athletes, heretofore not among the Skipper student body have been mysteriously drawn to the Tonka program.
    If the reports prove to be accurate it would appear that one of the incoming transfers is a high scoring forward that should make a very strong Tonka team even stronger. Consider how many of their girls have already committed to D1 schools for the 2013-14 season:

Minnesota-Duluth
    Sidney Morin ....................D .........................(Minnetonka) ..............................Minnetonka, MN [USA U18 team]

Penn State
    Laura Bowman .................F ...............................(Minnetonka) .........................Minnetonka, MN [leading scorer last season]
    Amy Petersen ..................F ...............................(Minnetonka) .........................Minnetonka, MN [2nd leading scorer last season]

Quinnipiac
    Sydney Rossman ..............G ............................(Minnetonka) ...........................Minnetonka, MN

Rensselaer
    Hannah Behounek .............D .............................(Minnetonka) ..........................Minnetonka, MN

Then you add junior defender Sydney Baldwin (USA U18 team) to the above and I don't think there is any question who the No. 1 team in the State will be this year. And that will probably include SSM!

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Then you add junior defender Sydney Baldwin (USA U18 team) to the above and I don't think there is any question who the No. 1 team in the State will be this year. And that will probably include SSM!
    I'd agree up until the last sentence. Back when Eden Prairie was loaded with people like Seeler and Feste and dominating Minnesota HS hockey, they scrimmaged S-SM and lost in the 5 to 7 goal range. While Shattuck might not be quite as powerful this year, I'd still expect them to be able to handle a public HS team from the state.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

I'd like to see the match up...thinking also that the current Tonka team is superior to those dominant EP teams of yore.
    MINNESOTA HOCKEY

I'd like to see the match up...thinking also that the current Tonka team is superior to those dominant EP teams of yore.
    I'd take EP and even the champions of the last 3 or years over this years Mtka team. No disrespect just feel much stronger teams in years past. Saw many games last year and just felt it wasn't as strong. In years past there were 15- 20 teams that could win a championship. Last year maybe 5-6. Teams just not as deep. Very few teams with more than one line. Don't feel there's as many dominate goalies as years past.

Of course this can never be proved...But think about those teams from EP, Roseville, Stillwater, BSM, Warroad etc. Many loaded teams with 3 strong lines and tending.

Quote Originally Posted by WCHFan View Post
    I'd take EP and even the champions of the last 3 or years over this years Mtka team. No disrespect just feel much stronger teams in years past. Saw many games last year and just felt it wasn't as strong. In years past there were 15- 20 teams that could win a championship. Last year maybe 5-6. Teams just not as deep. Very few teams with more than one line. Don't feel there's as many dominate goalies as years past.
    Well in the most recent year (2011-12) Minnetonka WAS the state champion and they have pretty much their whole team returning. They will be very deep and will have the luxury of filling the few open spots with the top 3 or 4 players off of last year's state champion U14 team, plus the two transfers. They look to be especially strong defensively, having three of the state's top defenders and a top-ranked goaltender (USA U18 camp attendee).

Quote Originally Posted by WCHFan View Post
    Of course this can never be proved...But think about those teams from EP, Roseville, Stillwater, BSM, Warroad etc. Many loaded teams with 3 strong lines and tending.
    I agree that compared to years past the overall quality and depth of MN girls high school hockey is down. As you say there just isn't the number of teams at the top tier that there used to be. Which in turn probably makes it that much easier for a very strong team like a Minnetonka to really stand out. Going into the season they most certainly will be ranked No.1 and will be the strong favorite to repeat as AA champs. They do, however, look to have a very strong schedule and should be tested early and often. So we'll just have to wait and see how things develop.
    Last edited by D2D; 08-26-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    I'd agree up until the last sentence. Back when Eden Prairie was loaded with people like Seeler and Feste and dominating Minnesota HS hockey, they scrimmaged S-SM and lost in the 5 to 7 goal range. While Shattuck might not be quite as powerful this year, I'd still expect them to be able to handle a public HS team from the state.
    I'd agree with you but it appears to me that SSM may be down quite a bit from when they had the likes of the two Lams, Decker and Kessel. It will be interesting to see how many of their current players go on to have stellar college careers and also play at the national level, and how this compares to a top high school team like Minnetonka. In terms of head-to-head match-ups against Minnesota high schools I believe last year there was just one, vs. a very young BSM team. While SSM did win 3-0, the shots were very close at 27-25 and from all reports the play was very even.

MINNESOTA HOCKEY

Fall Elite League rosters are posted:

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/teams/...th-season.html

Couldn't help but notice that of the three teams that are made up of Minnesota high school girls (60 players in total) 15 of them (25%) are from either Minnetonka or Benilde-St. Margaret's (7 and 8 respectively). It is also very surprising to see that perennial power Roseville is not represented this year.

Thread Information