Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Norwich Women's Hockey

Originally posted by hockeydaddy View Post

Not to take away anything from M'ville in general but I still get this feeling the school is offering attractive/generous financial packages to these top players. All things being mostly equal, the $ package is usually the deciding factor as to what school the student/athlete attends. ( of course there are exceptions)

Plenty of parents have, at one time or another, dreamed of seeing their hockey player going to a top school, with a "full ride". Not that they are greedy, but it's more of a payback for all that time going back and forth to that cold rink, and not to mention the 10's of thousands of dollars spent, just getting the kid to the college level.... And then reality sets in...

Got to love it though.

Any other thoughts out there?
    I know of a couple of impact Canadian players who went there. I don't know much detail on the decision-making process, but I did get the impression from the parents that the aid package was much better than the other well known D3 schools that were also interested.

Comment

[QUOTE=mainiac;4512341]I would pretty much be willing to bet on all 3 going to Manhattanville. Having seen them, as I said before Norwich played them, they are bigger, more physical, and I dare say deeper and more skilled women for women. I think the next games will be closer but I still think that they will own Norwich this season as well. M'ville seems to have pretty good goaltending as well which is hard to overcome at times. Norwich got BEAT, they did not lose they got BEAT all over the ice from what I heard from some alums. I heard that they let M'ville control the way the game was played and that Norwich seemed to go in with the attitude to survive rather then dictate the way the game was played. They said that Norwich did not play confident like you would think from an undefeated team. Looking at their schedule so far I would say that they have had a pretty easy go of it and that if they plan on anything big this year they better learn to play an entire 60 minutes against every team they play, easy or not, because when you look at the stats it looks like they never play 3 periods of hockey and until they do that the problems will be exposed (especially against the big boys like Plattsburg, Middlebury and Amherst).

BEAT vs. LOSE : That's the key to that game against M'ville. Watched the game and the total dominating effect the loss will have on the Norwich team getting beaten at home like that. Nobody, I repeat nobody stepped up to answer the call. Even when the game was 4-0 5-0 6-0. The game was over but a message needed to be sent for next game. The team was loosing in all ASPECTS OF THE GAME. If that was boys hockey, you know what would have happened! But the girls could still send a message for the next game, but they didn't. " You may have beaten us this time but keep your head up next." I put that down to inexperience, lots of sophomores and juniors.

VS. Elmira : Norwich DID get caught on the break for Thanksgiving. M'ville played 2 tough games on the weekend before( Came back from holiday early ) and also had a primer against St. Mikes the day before while Norwich sat idol without practising.

Norwich needs to be better on the PP. Thats the key to beating M'ille. Their aggressiveness can be worked against them. They are going to take penalties and Norwich must make them pay so the POWER PLAY must get better.

Comment

Originally posted by doogie View Post
        Norwich needs to be better on the PP. Thats the key to beating M'ille. Their aggressiveness can be worked against them. They are going to take penalties and Norwich must make them pay so the POWER PLAY must get better.
        That's the key!!! When you look at these top teams it comes down to who has the better special teams. Right now Norwich needs to improve upon their PP and PK if they want to compete against the better teams. Also, 30 minutes of play won't beat teams either. I'm going to say the next meeting will not be a 7-0 blow out. Just remember last year Norwich lost 8-0 to Elmira and the next meeting it was a 3-2 game. Edge still goes to MVille.

Comment

Happy Holidays To All

Comment

Predictions on how Norwich will fare after the long break? Salve and So. ME this weekend.

Comment

Phew, the holidays are over. Here's to you and a happy new year. Finally, it's hockey time again.

Not unlike the bulk of the DIII womens's hockey programs across the nation, Norwich will need to figure out how to pull it all together, going forward into the 2nd half of the season. With a lot of road games and a much tougher schedule, they will need to peak fast, and stay there, if they have any chance of making it to the big dance, which frankly, is what it's all about isn't it?

Yes, PP's will be pivotal in some of the upcoming games, as a few posts have indicated, but of most importance will be the team's chemistry. Everything will fall into place if they can get it right, and quickly. And for those of you reading this, that are not understanding "chemistry", allow me to expand on it…

Most will recall the USA VS RUSSIA 1980 Olympic hockey game in Lake Placid, where the underdog, and less talented USA team beat the Russians. They billed it a "miracle on ice".

Well, there was no miracle. It was chemistry. It was coaching, practice, a good work ethic, on and off the ice, and an overwhelming "will" to win from the whole team and organization that ultimately, gave them the gold.

Chances are, this years DIII NCAA FF winner will have their miracle come true or, possess the best chemistry.

My new years resolution? Be a part of this winning team....

Comment

Originally posted by hockeydaddy View Post
                Phew, the holidays are over. Here's to you and a happy new year. Finally, it's hockey time again.

Not unlike the bulk of the DIII womens's hockey programs across the nation, Norwich will need to figure out how to pull it all together, going forward into the 2nd half of the season. With a lot of road games and a much tougher schedule, they will need to peak fast, and stay there, if they have any chance of making it to the big dance, which frankly, is what it's all about isn't it?

Yes, PP's will be pivotal in some of the upcoming games, as a few posts have indicated, but of most importance will be the team's chemistry. Everything will fall into place if they can get it right, and quickly. And for those of you reading this, that are not understanding "chemistry", allow me to expand on it…
                Most will recall the USA VS RUSSIA 1980 Olympic hockey game in Lake Placid, where the underdog, and less talented USA team beat the Russians. They billed it a "miracle on ice".

Well, there was no miracle. It was chemistry. It was coaching, practice, a good work ethic, on and off the ice, and an overwhelming "will" to win from the whole team and organization that ultimately, gave them the gold.

Chances are, this years DIII NCAA FF winner will have their miracle come true or, possess the best chemistry.

My new years resolution? Be a part of this winning team....
                Chemistry is a very important part for any team. I think they found it last season after break and went on a huge winning streak. I think this year it may be different though looking at their schedule. I think special teams will play a large part in how this team does, they have not been real good the last 2 years when I look at it, either on the PP or with PK, they have been good but good does not put you in the upper deck where they need to be.

This team, in the 3 times that I have seen them this season, have not made plays when the opportunity was there. I see an open man and the guy with the puck holds on too long and the opportunity is gone. Hockey is a game that when opportunity presents itself you better hit it then. They seem to lack a bit on some of the skills that I see, on the truly better women's teams. Like taking a 1 timer and using the area behind the net and taking advantage of an opportunity when it is there. This team is missing something that the upper teams have and until they find it they will have to remain happy being in the next tier down I am afraid.

I hope I am wrong but I think Norwich will have a tough go of it in the 2nd half with the likes of Platty, Middlebury and Amherst coming to play them. I think that if the ladies do not step their game up....the ladies may realize that they are no longer in Kansas. I am a NOrwich Hockey lover (Men & Women) but I am also honest.

Comment

Originally posted by mainiac View Post
                  I go out to the D3 Men's side all the time and I see that The Norwich Men's team always has a thread with their name attached to it so I figured, lets start one on the women's side as well.

Has anyone see the Norwich Women play this season? I have seen a couple of games and although I think they are a good and fast team, I think that they will have trouble when they play teams that are well coached with skilled players (The M'Villes, Holy Cross, Middlebury, Platty, Amherst). Norwich seems to play in spots and not the whole game. They will have a good period and then a mediocre one the next. In the 2 games that I have seen them they have yet to put together 3 solid periods of hockey, and with the skilled bunch that they have, they should be able to do that. Not sure what the issue is with them, maybe it is a motivation thing or a comfort thing where they just score and then sit back or what, but that plan will fail against the aforementioned better teams that they will be playing. I know they have only been around for 3 years or so, and have achieved much in that time, but this group is very fast and talented and at times they are underachieving (and yes I know they are 5-0 but so far this is the easy part of their schedule). What do others who have observed them think???
                  I think it matters which games you have seen. That being said I hope that you are not correct for the 2nd half. I think they will have worked on a few of the glaring flaws and fixed them. I guess we will know starting tomorrow against Salve.

Comment

Originally posted by mainiac View Post
                    Chemistry is a very important part for any team. I think they found it last season after break and went on a huge winning streak. I think this year it may be different though looking at their schedule. I think special teams will play a large part in how this team does, they have not been real good the last 2 years when I look at it, either on the PP or with PK, they have been good but good does not put you in the upper deck where they need to be.

This team, in the 3 times that I have seen them this season, have not made plays when the opportunity was there. I see an open man and the guy with the puck holds on too long and the opportunity is gone. Hockey is a game that when opportunity presents itself you better hit it then. They seem to lack a bit on some of the skills that I see, on the truly better women's teams. Like taking a 1 timer and using the area behind the net and taking advantage of an opportunity when it is there. This team is missing something that the upper teams have and until they find it they will have to remain happy being in the next tier down I am afraid.

I hope I am wrong but I think Norwich will have a tough go of it in the 2nd half with the likes of Platty, Middlebury and Amherst coming to play them. I think that if the ladies do not step their game up....the ladies may realize that they are no longer in Kansas. I am a NOrwich Hockey lover (Men & Women) but I am also honest.
                    I think they have an excellant coach and that it's only a matter of time until they start making some real noise.

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                      I think they have an excellant coach and that it's only a matter of time until they start making some real noise.
                      But will they make some noise this year? Or will the program need another recruiting year or two to obtain the required depth that's needed to go all the way...

We'll see this weekend how the team's charactor comes out of the gate and into the 2nd half.

They'll need "convincing" wins, especially vs. Salve, who will be playing with revenge in mind, considering Norwich beat them in the ECAC East playoffs last season.

Go Norwich!

Comment

Just read the box score on Saturday's Norwich-Southern Maine game. Shots on goal were 39 - NU, 8 - USM? Is that accurate? USM only got 2 shots off in the third period? Was their offense that anemic? USM must have a great goaltender to let through only 3 goals on 39 shots!

What was the game like?

Comment

Originally posted by futurestar View Post
                          Just read the box score on Saturday's Norwich-Southern Maine game. Shots on goal were 39 - NU, 8 - USM? Is that accurate? USM only got 2 shots off in the third period? Was their offense that anemic? USM must have a great goaltender to let through only 3 goals on 39 shots!

What was the game like?
                          Was not there as the NU men were playing up here in Maine (great games by the way men's team is young and fast and very talented) anyway talked to my buddy who was at the game and he said the girls do what they have done most of the year a lot of shots but that they do not take the time to find a hole and they just shoot at the goalie for the most part.

Looks like they dominated the Salve Game also shot wise and he told me that they also did their lets get a lead, sit on it and stop playing and see if it can last trick.....he said that the lead was 4-1 with like 7 mins. left in the 3rd and it ended up 4-4..........seems to be a habit with them......

Comment

What is the spread on the Manhattanville - Norwich game on Saturday? Depending on if Norwich is planning something different defensively speaking this time around could decide the spread. That is a shoe box of a rink and I would think that a trap would be the way to go in there. Try and bottle them up as they attempt to wind it up, as they do, in the neutral zone with their quick passing and team speed. If they go in with the same plan as last game they will be lucky if they hold the goal differance to 5 or 6. Now that is not to say that they trap and do not put forth an offensive attack, cuz you can do both if once they create the turnover they go on the offensive and push the puck forward and crash the net..........interested to see what they will do having never beaten them and recently never really being close. Will be a real test to see what the coaches come up with for this one.

Comment

I'm going with Norwich even though my better judgment says that I should pick Manhattanville. "mainiac" I think you're spot on with the trap in that barn, the question is can they generate some offense off of it. I'm going to predict a 2 to 1 game with Norwich finally putting up a "W" against Manhattanville. Going to be a close one...but hey let's not get too far ahead they have to play Umass first and they are coming off some big wins over Wesleyann, St. A's, NEC, and No. 10 ranked Lake Forest, this will be a closer match then the 6-0 blow out last time.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyDman View Post
                                I'm going with Norwich even though my better judgment says that I should pick Manhattanville. "mainiac" I think you're spot on with the trap in that barn, the question is can they generate some offense off of it. I'm going to predict a 2 to 1 game with Norwich finally putting up a "W" against Manhattanville. Going to be a close one...but hey let's not get too far ahead they have to play Umass first and they are coming off some big wins over Wesleyann, St. A's, NEC, and No. 10 ranked Lake Forest, this will be a closer match then the 6-0 blow out last time.
                                You must have someone on the inside to think that and know something that others do not. I bleed maroon & gold my friend but even if they run the trap (and yes you can score goals running the trap if you can capitalize on your opponents turn overs) or some other sort of defensive scheme they will be hard pressed to win and there is no way that they will only give up 1 goal, Manhattanville is to big, fast and talented. I think the game may be closer if they can get a scheme in place in a week ( and that is a BIG "if") but this one still goes to Manhattanville......I say 5-2. One thing that Manhattanville does do is take a lot of penalties....so if Wich can put a PP together that can do anything that will help also.

And you are right UMass does seem to be playing much better then they were and they are at home, if Norwich does not play a good game there they may get a surprise as well. They need to learn how to play 3 full periods and do that at a highly aggressive level the whole time and the few times that I have seen them this year, there have been sparks of it but never for a full game.
                                Last edited by mainiac; 01-12-2010, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X