Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Norwich Women's Hockey

Originally posted by NHDad View Post
    Not having seen either of these team's play, you can take my prediction with a grain of salt: There is no way that St. Mike's can compete with their in-state rival. If they keep it within 5 goals, I'll be surprised.

Sorry, St. Mike's...I wish I could say otherwise. But, good luck and play hard.
    I wish I could always pick a winner like this....I'd be a wealthy man!

Do you remember in Back to the Future II (I think) when Biff went back in time and handed himself (young self) a sports history almanac? Well, that didn't happen to me....

Comment

On a positive note for VT hockey -- most of the hometown gals scored. Leupp, Banfield (2), and Cone. Leclerc did not light it up, nor did the VTer from St.Mike's but 3 of our 14 local counties represented!

St. Mike's certainly did not challenge and play aggressively in their face which would have not allowed a lot of the set ups, but StMikes played Holy Cross and Manhattanville strong for two periods in each of their respective games before the roof caved in in the third period of each -- is that conditioning? or normal pressure that finally breaks through (psychological or otherwise?)
      "The great State of Vermont will not apologize for its cheese!"
      -- Thank You For Smoking

Comment

Futurestar, you seem to have a lot of interest/info on M'ville. So what is it that draws these top players to this school. Is it their campus/location, the championship banners, the coaching staff or/ and academic programs? Or maybe even an excellent financial help package?? It certainly isn't the rink...

Comment

Originally posted by hockeydaddy View Post
          Futurestar, you seem to have a lot of interest/info on M'ville. So what is it that draws these top players to this school. Is it their campus/location, the championship banners, the coaching staff or/ and academic programs? Or maybe even an excellent financial help package?? It certainly isn't the rink...
          Like a lot of things in New York, it's a school that you either love or hate for all of the reasons that you have listed above. Even though the rink is a bit strange, there's a history there that's hard to deny. This year's "rebound" is simply a result of a lot of hard work by the coach who knew who he wanted to recruit and worked hard to sign those recruits on.

Originally posted by Phil D. Stands
          On a positive note for VT hockey -- most of the hometown gals scored. Leupp, Banfield (2), and Cone. Leclerc did not light it up, nor did the VTer from St.Mike's but 3 of our 14 local counties represented!
          While considering VT Hockey, don't overlook Castleton. You may not see a lot of wins out of this program but their recent National Guard Family Day and Pink the Rink campaigns show that it's a program with a lot of heart.

Comment

[QUOTE=futurestar;4518341]Like a lot of things in New York, it's a school that you either love or hate for all of the reasons that you have listed above. Even though the rink is a bit strange, there's a history there that's hard to deny. This year's "rebound" is simply a result of a lot of hard work by the coach who knew who he wanted to recruit and worked hard to sign those recruits on.

Not to take away anything from M'ville in general but I still get this feeling the school is offering attractive/generous financial packages to these top players. All things being mostly equal, the $ package is usually the deciding factor as to what school the student/athlete attends. ( of course there are exceptions)

Plenty of parents have, at one time or another, dreamed of seeing their hockey player going to a top school, with a "full ride". Not that they are greedy, but it's more of a payback for all that time going back and forth to that cold rink, and not to mention the 10's of thousands of dollars spent, just getting the kid to the college level.... And then reality sets in...

Got to love it though.

Any other thoughts out there?

Comment

MVille has a beautiful campus and an intenship program that they run through NEW YORK CITY...I know that is a huge draw. The team also inherited the New York Rangers practice facility where there lockeroom is as nice as any teams in the country. If your a girl from Canada and you go on recruiting trip to NYC,thats tough to compete with !

Comment

Originally posted by valiantfan08 View Post
                MVille has a beautiful campus and an intenship program that they run through NEW YORK CITY...I know that is a huge draw. The team also inherited the New York Rangers practice facility where there lockeroom is as nice as any teams in the country. If your a girl from Canada and you go on recruiting trip to NYC,thats tough to compete with !
                Oh, so playland park (the rink) is the former ranger practice rink eh...

Well, personally, I would rather stay away from the clustercluck of traffic, crime and foul air but I can see where beaucoup de tall buildings can make a difference to impressionable girls, canadian or not. Everyone has a sales pitch and I suppose that is a good one.

They have tall buildings in Northfield too don't they?? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by valiantfan08 View Post
                  I've seen the MVille locker and yes it was the New York Rangers practice facility put it is VERY dated... it does have some nice amenities but it does not have the best layout....I've also seen some other top Div III locker rooms that are much better than MVille's and a lot worst at the same time....but I would agree the big draw is the City, and I hear they give really nice financial aid packages. I have not seen Norwich's locker room so I can't compare the two...but with a rink like theirs I would have to say it must be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyDman View Post
                    I've seen the MVille locker and yes it was the New York Rangers practice facility put it is VERY dated... it does have some nice amenities but it does not have the best layout....I've also seen some other top Div III locker rooms that are much better than MVille's and a lot worst at the same time....but I would agree the big draw is the City, and I hear they give really nice financial aid packages. I have not seen Norwich's locker room so I can't compare the two...but with a rink like theirs I would have to say it must be nice.
                    When Kreitzberg Arena was built 10 or so years ago, there was only a Mens hockey team and yes, they have a real nice locker room. Although the womens locker rooms are ok now, they will be in a brand new, state of the art one next year as the school is building an addition to the rink (as we speak) that will include this, as well as a new concession area, coach's office, etc.

Comment

They have tall buildings in Northfield too don't they?? LOL
                      taller than 3 stories? probably not. haha
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        taller than 3 stories? probably not. haha
                        Well I hear the snow banks are usually taller than the buildings in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyDman View Post
                          Well I hear the snow banks are usually taller than the buildings in Vermont.

lmao, that's why I like these forums!

Comment

When Kreitzberg Arena was built 10 or so years ago, there was only a Mens hockey team and yes, they have a real nice locker room. Although the womens locker rooms are ok now, they will be in a brand new, state of the art one next year as the school is building an addition to the rink (as we speak) that will include this, as well as a new concession area, coach's office, etc.
                            Well that will be a nice addition for the women's team. Something that will definitely help with recruiting which will only help an up and coming team.

Comment

Originally posted by futurestar View Post
                              Or maybe this? (from Lang Announces 16-Person Class of 2013 http://www.govaliants.com/womens/hoc...rticle_id=2995)

"As a whole, this year’s recruiting class is a very accomplished one, featuring nine team captains, eight players who led their team in scoring, and four players who stand 5-11 or taller. Geographically, the class features eight Canadians (from four provinces), seven Americans (from four states) and one Swede.

“We wanted players from programs that are used to winning hockey games,” Lang said. “We accomplished that by getting players from the top programs all across North America.”

Well, last nights snowfall added to the height of the snow banks so we're closing in on the first floor window sills.

So you're telling me that M'villes freshmen class is what.. 16? How many seniors did they lose?

Comment

So you're telling me that M'villes freshmen class is what.. 16? How many seniors did they lose?

Stay Warm!

Comment

Working...
                                X