Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich Women's Hockey

Congratulations Mark Bolding. Just noticed this on the AHCA web site

MARK BOLDING of NORWICH UNIVERSITY REPEATS AS AHCA DIVISION III WOMEN'S HOCKEY COACH OF THE YEAR
    (Download release in PDF Format)
    Mark Bolding, who led Norwich University to the school's first NCAA Women's Division III Ice Hockey title, has been voted by his peers as the Division III Women's Ice Hockey Coach of the Year for the 2010-2011 season. The Cadets went 25-4-1, setting a school record for victories and advancing to the NCAA Tournament for the third time in the school's brief four-year varsity history. The magical season ended with a 5-2 win over Rochester Institute of Technology in the NCAA final. Ironically, the season began with a 3-1 home loss to RIT in November.

Norwich dominated the ECAC East this year, going 17-0-1 to win the regular season title. The Cadets took a 17-game unbeaten streak into the ECAC East Tournament final, only to be defeated by Manhattanville, 4-2. However, Norwich rebounded with a 5-4 win over Gustavus Adolphus College in the NCAA semifinals before taking the title with the victory over RIT in the championship final.

Bolding, the 2010 AHCA Coach of the Year, has been at Norwich for nine seasons, the last four coaching the women's program at the varsity level. After an 11-9-2 first year, Bolding led Norwich to a 19 wins and the ECAC East title in 2009, qualifying the Cadets for their first NCAA Tournament appearance. Last year, the club repeated as ECAC East champion, shutting out both its semifinal and final opponents, en route to the NCAA Championship final. His four-year varsity record is 76-30-9.

A native of Red Deer, Alberta, Bolding is a 1995 graduate of Norwich, where he was a standout defenseman in a Hall of Fame playing career (inducted in the school's HOF in 2005). Before taking the reins of the women's program, Bolding served two stints as an assistant to men's head coch Mike McShane.

Keith Maurice and Holly Russo assisted Bolding this year. The runner-up for the award was Scott McDonald of Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT).

The Coach of the Year Award is chosen by members of the American Hockey Coaches Association and will be presented on Friday, April 29, at the AHCA "Celebration of Women's Ice Hockey" banquet in Naples, Florida, as part of the annual AHCA Convention

Comment

Congratulations Mark! Well deserved, again.
      Go 'Wick!

Comment

Absolutely the obvious choice. Awesome job, Awesome year.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Yelnick View Post
          While I was watching the Penguins-Red Wings game on Versus tonight, Mike Emrick congratulated the autobid teams for the D-I men's NCAA tourney, the congratulated Wisconsin on their D-I women's championship, then congratulated the Norwich Cadets on their D-III women's championship. I thought that was cool that the Norwich women got some love during a nationally televised NHL game.
          And on NESN last night during Boston-Montreal throwdown, they showed four of the ladies in their jerseys watching in the crowd on a close-up and announced them as D3 National Champs. The only one I could recognize was the "C" of Sophie in an A-Rod/Cameron Diaz moment as she was snapping gum and wearing a Montreal toque! (ouch). There was an "A" assistant there but I'll be darned if I know which one of those gals it was.
          PS -- It must be a Norwich tradition but can you get Bolding and his crew out of dead-center front row on the team pictures next year? I see the men do the same thing, but I've not seen that kind of coach-centrist presentation in any other hockey team photo (even in the service academies) -- at least squeeze the captains into the middle and put coaches in the second row or outside the captains -- it just looks wrong (my opinion) -- I am sure it is all about "leadership" or something this plebe doesn't get
          Illegitimum non carborundum
          Cartman: Ma'am, the Crack Baby Athletic Association is a storied institution that was founded over twelve days ago.
          Cartman:Should I admit I was wrong, ask for everyone's forgiveness and go back to my original team? Nah, screw that, I'm just gonna keep being a d**k.
          Cartman: Screw you sir, I'm going home.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Kitty View Post
            And on NESN last night during Boston-Montreal throwdown, they showed four of the ladies in their jerseys watching in the crowd on a close-up and announced them as D3 National Champs. The only one I could recognize was the "C" of Sophie in an A-Rod/Cameron Diaz moment as she was snapping gum and wearing a Montreal toque! (ouch). There was an "A" assistant there but I'll be darned if I know which one of those gals it was.
            PS -- It must be a Norwich tradition but can you get Bolding and his crew out of dead-center front row on the team pictures next year? I see the men do the same thing, but I've not seen that kind of coach-centrist presentation in any other hockey team photo (even in the service academies) -- at least squeeze the captains into the middle and put coaches in the second row or outside the captains -- it just looks wrong (my opinion) -- I am sure it is all about "leadership" or something this plebe doesn't get
            Maybe other teams should start putting the coaches in the middle of the picture. Seems to be working for both Norwich teams.
            Congrats to the Norwich ladies and coaching staff on a very impressive weekend, you guys were fun to watch.

It was actually a lot of fun to watch all four games, and see the different styles of all four teams. Congrats to all.
            RIT TIGERS
            2007-08 AHA Pick'em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Kitty View Post
              Sophie's parents are both from Quebec...Believe me, I was heartbroken too when I found out she was a Habs fan. I told her I was voting Weiss for the Hurd because of it. (No I don't get a vote)

The girls that were there were Stephanie Invernizzi, Sophie Leclerc, Melissa Rundlett, and Julie Fortier. Two B's fans and two Habs fans.
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Kitty View Post
                From left to right, that was Melissa Rundlett, Stephanie Invernizzi ( I believe those are her Dads tickets), Julie Fortier and Sophie. Jack ( the play by play guy for NESN) happens to have a kid in the corp at Norwich I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                  Absolutely the obvious choice. Awesome job, Awesome year.
                  Ah, remember when some bonehead was on here posting that he should be canned because he and his staff weren't out recruiting and the program was going nowhere. (where is that rolls eyes thingy when ya need it?)

Comment

http://www.norwichathletics.com/spor...d_banquet_2011

The 2011 national champion Norwich women's ice hockey team will be hosting its annual year end banquet on Saturday, April 2nd at 5 p.m. in conjunction with the Blue Line Club.

Come out and celebrate with your national champions one last time.

Ticket information is in the link.
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

http://www.wca*****/Global/story.asp?S=14302670

Little late but here is the video that aired last Sunday on WCAX, the local CBS affiliate in Burlington of the NU women's hockey returning home from Rochester with the national championship trophy in tow...
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Next year should be another great season. Congratulations to the entire coaching staff

Comment

Originally posted by RollCadetsRoll View Post
                          Next year should be another great season. Congratulations to the entire coaching staff
                          Will they all be back next season? I would think with what they have accomplished (and I think they have all been together from the start) that maybe some of them could get the opportunity to go elsewhere.....maybe? Do people think any of them would or could end up elsewhere or does the group appear happy where they are?

Comment

Originally posted by mainiac View Post
                            Will they all be back next season? I would think with what they have accomplished (and I think they have all been together from the start) that maybe some of them could get the opportunity to go elsewhere.....maybe? Do people think any of them would or could end up elsewhere or does the group appear happy where they are?
                            I think they are all more than happy to remain a part of the Norwich family for another year, with the possible exception of Jon Guiffre. I do not know him, so I couldn't say.
                            Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by RollCadetsRoll View Post
                              Got some big and important shoes to fill at a couple places, but yes the Cadets still return a lot of key players and talent.

You can't replace the leadership lost by #9 though and the experience of the rest of the seniors including #30 between the pipes. Sure she didnt have the numbers of Justice, Bloom, Mackrell, and Chamberlain etc...But, she did beat all four in head to head meetings this year and she played phenomenally in the GAC/RIT games.

NU returns all the members of their best line from top to bottom this past season in the Fortier/Rundlett/Lortie line. I dont know if that line will be kept togeteher or not, but the chemistry of that line helped the Cadets go 16-1-1 in their final 18 games after being put together for the Amherst game.

They'll need to find a center for DeBus and hope some more of the younger players to continue to step up into larger roles and buy into their roles on the third and fourth line if thats where they end up. This team did that to a T this season and it was none more evident than in the national championship game.

The best news of the day...Norwich returns EVERYONE from their defensive unit which IMHO was one of the biggest reasons that helped push the Cadets over the top this season. Amherst set the model with their corps of defenseman and I think coach Bolding and his staff took notice and built their program the exact same way.

#17, #22, #14, and #8 for three more seasons? Sign me up any day of the week.
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                                Got some big and important shoes to fill at a couple places, but yes the Cadets still return a lot of key players and talent.

You can't replace the leadership lost by #9 though and the experience of the rest of the seniors including #30 between the pipes. Sure she didnt have the numbers of Justice, Bloom, Mackrell, and Chamberlain etc...But, she did beat all four in head to head meetings this year and she played phenomenally in the GAC/RIT games.
                                This just in... #9 will be coming back for a what, 7th or 8th season now, based on a NCAA rules change that would apply to her case.

Comment

Working...
                                X