Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Norwich Women's Hockey

Ok Here goes.....

Quite honestly, I'm not there yet... and I will never jump on the Norwich bandwagon but.... I am slowly coming around to believe that Norwich is a legitimate contender and not just lucky.

I still get cranky when I hear that "Norwich Beat Manhattanville" last year when it was actually Salve that beat Manhattanville and Norwich that beat Salve.

I will reserve my opinion until after the HC and Mville games.

Come on though you have to admit that it's a bit ironic when you walk into a rink and there are more Norwich sweatsuits walking around than home team fans!

Comment

Originally posted by futurestar View Post
      Ok Here goes.....

Quite honestly, I'm not there yet... and I will never jump on the Norwich bandwagon but.... I am slowly coming around to believe that Norwich is a legitimate contender and not just lucky.

I still get cranky when I hear that "Norwich Beat Manhattanville" last year when it was actually Salve that beat Manhattanville and Norwich that beat Salve.

I will reserve my opinion until after the HC and Mville games.

Come on though you have to admit that it's a bit ironic when you walk into a rink and there are more Norwich sweatsuits walking around than home team fans!

Well, you did alright until that little small print blurp at the end.

Ok, so had you read my earlier post, you would have noticed that I addressed the very fact that we have never beaten Manhattanville, I repeat, never, and that the upcoming game is huge, especially for those with ego's the size of China, I might add.

Now, I can't blame you nor do I expect you to jump on the Norwich bandwagon, anymore than I would become a Manhattanville fan, or, for that matter, a Boston Bruins fan, thats normal. On the other hand, I at least attempt to respect them, not badmouth them.

And those Norwich sweatsuits???... those ARE home team fans... Norwich Cadet fans, fellow student fans...

Try to think about what you're saying, it might help your credibility in this thread. ( I'm only trying to help you out)

s t r i k e two! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by doogie View Post
        Great site! Was looking all last year for somebody to start a site for Norwich Girls. Need my fix, as its hard to follow daughter from the Prairies of Canada. Big weekend after Thanksgiving, hope girls don't look too far ahead.

I noticed from schedule both Holy Cross and Manhattenville play games mid week before Norwich games while our girls are dorment. Could be trouble?
        Got to see M'Ville at USM this weekend and having seen Norwich a couple of weeks ago I would have to say that it is my opinion that Norwich is in for a rude awakening. This M'Ville team is big and they are quick and deep in talent. Norwich is hit or miss when I watched them, at times they looked like they were on their game and then it looked like they went to sleep. None of that with M'Ville...attack, attack, attack. Norwich will have to come up with a way to slow them down and clog things up. The one spot that may be able to be exploited is if Norwich shoots the puck and just tries to load up on shots. M'Villes goalies are okay but I think if Norwich pounded them with shots from everywhere and got some tips & screens .............. But I really think that for Norwich to beat them they will have to play the whole game at a hard level, outshoot them and do something to slow down the M'Ville attack, if not it could be a long day at Kreitzberg. I have seen both teams and am 100% Norwich through & through but Manhattanville is the better team ( at this point) from what I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by mainiac View Post
          Got to see M'Ville at USM this weekend and having seen Norwich a couple of weeks ago I would have to say that it is my opinion that Norwich is in for a rude awakening. This M'Ville team is big and they are quick and deep in talent. Norwich is hit or miss when I watched them, at times they looked like they were on their game and then it looked like they went to sleep. None of that with M'Ville...attack, attack, attack. Norwich will have to come up with a way to slow them down and clog things up. The one spot that may be able to be exploited is if Norwich shoots the puck and just tries to load up on shots. M'Villes goalies are okay but I think if Norwich pounded them with shots from everywhere and got some tips & screens .............. But I really think that for Norwich to beat them they will have to play the whole game at a hard level, outshoot them and do something to slow down the M'Ville attack, if not it could be a long day at Kreitzberg. I have seen both teams and am 100% Norwich through & through but Manhattanville is the better team ( at this point) from what I have seen.

Point well taken. Not having seen M'ville yet this year, I'll take your word for it. Certainly Norwich's forward lines have added depth with this years recruiting effort, but my concern is with the defense. If there's any lack of consistency, it's there. We're still struggling with clean breakouts, coming out of the corners with the puck, etc.

One thing for sure, M'ville will come out on fire. Norwich needs to play like they have something to prove... and yes, 60 minutes of it too.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeydaddy View Post
            Point well taken. Not having seen M'ville yet this year, I'll take your word for it. Certainly Norwich's forward lines have added depth with this years recruiting effort, but my concern is with the defense. If there's any lack of consistency, it's there. We're still struggling with clean breakouts, coming out of the corners with the puck, etc.

One thing for sure, M'ville will come out on fire. Norwich needs to play like they have something to prove... and yes, 60 minutes of it too.
            Big week for Norwich Women coming up. Wanted to bring it back up to the front

They need a good showing in both games this weekend or they are going to be seen as an overrated team that has yet to really play anyone. And time will tell maybe that is what we have here. They do not take control of these games from the start and it could be a long weekend for the women.

Comment

They need a good showing in both games this weekend or they are going to be seen as an overrated team that has yet to really play anyone. And time will tell maybe that is what we have here. They do not take control of these games from the start and it could be a long weekend for the women.
              id you project them to be 7-0 at this point? Overrated is in the minds of those who didn't expect them to be 7-0 and be considered for a top ten ranking. The only thing they have to prove is if they are a top five team.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwanman View Post
                id you project them to be 7-0 at this point? Overrated is in the minds of those who didn't expect them to be 7-0 and be considered for a top ten ranking. The only thing they have to prove is if they are a top five team.
                Well, in my opinion, polls don't really mean much. How can anyone (most anyway) actually do a decent analysis of the top 10-15 teams (except for maybe the top 3) in D-3 hockey... it's a bad guess at best. There are too many variables involved.

I see today where Norwich retains it's #8 position in the official USCHO POLL. All it really does is create fodder for the schools and these forums.
                And then you look at the ECAC website, where they give out "player of the week awards" to those who scored "record setting" 4-8 goals in a game vs. who? Plymouth State? Maybe Nichols? Come on, give me a break.

Admittedly, it's easy to get sucked into the hype... So I will say this... historical events produce future trends. The Norwich ladies are on a roll, going back to the 2nd half of last year. The only real change this year is added depth. Last year, we got off to a slow start, this year we are 7-0. (ok, 5-0 if one wants to exclude the Plymouth and Nichols games.) So, we looked shaky from time to time here and there, but overall, not bad. Sometimes it takes a little time to figure out which wheel to grease, so to speak.

The coaching staff is hard at work preparing the team for the weekend. The girls themselves are fired up and assuming everyone is healthy, (and all the wheels are greased) I predict 4 points for Norwich when the singing is done.

There, how's that for some "spin"?! lol

Comment

I think it is great to see the strides Norwich women's hockey has made in such a short time. Scheduling non-conference games with the likes of Middlebury and Amherst (I wish they could fit Bowdoin in) shows the direction they expect their program to take. The ECAC-East has really been a default auto bid for Manhattanville and it is great to see that changing.
                  I have not seen the Cadets this season and only saw them twice last year. My only question heading into games against Holy Cross and Manhattanville is how the goaltending holds up? Traversa and Fortin have seen an average of 16 sots per game, while Manhattanville and Holy Cross both have taken an average of 36 shots per game. My guess is the success of the Cadets this weekend rides on the goalie's shoulders.
                  Wish I could make it up to Vermont for the games. Best of Luck to the Cadets!!!

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                    I think it is great to see the strides Norwich women's hockey has made in such a short time. Scheduling non-conference games with the likes of Middlebury and Amherst (I wish they could fit Bowdoin in) shows the direction they expect their program to take. The ECAC-East has really been a default auto bid for Manhattanville and it is great to see that changing.
                    I have not seen the Cadets this season and only saw them twice last year. My only question heading into games against Holy Cross and Manhattanville is how the goaltending holds up? Traversa and Fortin have seen an average of 16 sots per game, while Manhattanville and Holy Cross both have taken an average of 36 shots per game. My guess is the success of the Cadets this weekend rides on the goalie's shoulders.

Taking a quick peak at the ECAC EAST goaltending stats, both Fortin and Traversa are in the top 5, so no one should be offended if I suggested they are right there with the best of them. With that said, my guess is that Bolding will start Traversa Friday and put Fortin between the pipes on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                      Well you can watch the Holy Cross game as it will be on the web at the following link: http://www.nsnsports.net/games/?act[v]=graphical&frm[d]=2009-12-04&frm[e]=254 I do not believe they are casting the M'Ville game. Not really sure why...

Comment

Could not make it up for the big weekend, games or alumni game, but I see on the board where they had a 2-0 lead after two and could not finish. Seems to be becoming a habit that these women get a lead and then just do not finish strong. Was it conditioning, did they just run out of gas? Did they attempt to just sit on the lead? Holy Cross is undefeated as well but the stats look like Norwich dominated the first, outscoring them 2-0 and out shooting them 17 to 6, then it looks like they went to sleep again. HC , I have not scene but I know they are undefeated and that they beat Manhattanville so they must be a good caliber team. Too bad Norwich could not finish them off.

On a better note the men won again !!!

Comment

Could not make it up for the big weekend, games or alumni game, but I see on the board where they had a 2-0 lead after two and could not finish. Seems to be becoming a habit that these women get a lead and then just do not finish strong. Was it conditioning, did they just run out of gas? Did they attempt to just sit on the lead? Holy Cross is undefeated as well but the stats look like Norwich dominated the first, outscoring them 2-0 and out shooting them 17 to 6, then it looks like they went to sleep again. HC , I have not scene but I know they are undefeated and that they beat Manhattanville so they must be a good caliber team. Too bad Norwich could not finish them off.

On a better note the men won again !!!
                          Norwich hit a bit of a dead spot and gave up a couple of goals when during a stretch when they just couldn't seem to get the puck out of their own end. Except for about a 10-15 minute stretch NU carried the play, and seemed in control of the OT. Not a bad outcome at all, especially when you consider that HC beat M'ville at their place. Sunday should be a good test.
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Norwich also hit the post twice and had a goal waived off when the ref lost site of the puck. Great game, and the leadership of Holy Cross was impressive. Spirited comeback. As far as Norwich having a dead span I would give HC credit for that. The game cemented what I thought, Norwich is for real.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                              Sunday should be a good test.
                              Planning on being there
                              Steve Day(NU71)
                              Go Cadets

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyDman View Post
                                Well you can watch the Holy Cross game as it will be on the web at the following link: http://www.nsnsports.net/games/?act[v]=graphical&frm[d]=2009-12-04&frm[e]=254 I do not believe they are casting the M'Ville game. Not really sure why...
                                Disappointed that today's game is not available on the web. I caught part of Friday's game and it was fun to watch (although NEVER as good as being there. The cameras seemed to follow the puck a bit too closely.). Hope they perform well today. I'll be watching for updates once the game begins.
                                There is no right way to do the wrong thing.

U19AAAA Forever!

Comment

Working...
                                X