Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Norwich Women's Hockey

Originally posted by doogie View Post
    Great site! Was looking all last year for somebody to start a site for Norwich Girls. Need my fix, as its hard to follow daughter from the Prairies of Canada. Big weekend after Thanksgiving, hope girls don't look too far ahead.

I noticed from schedule both Holy Cross and Manhattenville play games mid week before Norwich games while our girls are dorment. Could be trouble?

Nahh, they'll be fine...

Comment

No need to worry Futurestar took the same shots at the program last year. You have to admire consistency, or not.

Comment

I think its great that NU has put resources into this program.

On Saturday against NEC, they played very well in the first period, but didn't score - seemed to go to sleep in the second - really brought it on in the third. It will be interesting to see how things go when they play teams like Platty, Midd, and Amherst for the first time. Picking up teams like that on the schedule can only strengthen the program as they move forward.

I wish we'd get more people into Krietzberg to see them play, especially on weekends when the men's team is away. Hopefully that will happen. It was a good move to include admission to the women's games with the men's season tickets - if people can come out just for the curiosity, I think they will be surprised.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          I think its great that NU has put resources into this program.

On Saturday against NEC, they played very well in the first period, but didn't score - seemed to go to sleep in the second - really brought it on in the third. It will be interesting to see how things go when they play teams like Platty, Midd, and Amherst for the first time. Picking up teams like that on the schedule can only strengthen the program as they move forward.

I wish we'd get more people into Krietzberg to see them play, especially on weekends when the men's team is away. Hopefully that will happen. It was a good move to include admission to the women's games with the men's season tickets - if people can come out just for the curiosity, I think they will be surprised.

I think a lot of folks have witnessed a quantum leap in the quality of play of women's hockey. The fact that the Norwich ladies attract over 300 per game is testament that attendance has no where to go but up.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/attendancew.php

Will we ever fill Krietzberg? Humm...

And yes, it will be interesting against Platty, Midd and Amherst.... but you never get better by playing down. Fortunately, they only need to play Plymouth once, and it's behind them.

Speaking of Plymouth, it's interesting to see how they and Norwich have evolved, considering both entered DIII at the same time. Any comments out there?

Comment

Originally posted by hockeydaddy View Post
            I think a lot of folks have witnessed a quantum leap in the quality of play of women's hockey. The fact that the Norwich ladies attract over 300 per game is testament that attendance has no where to go but up.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/attendancew.php

Will we ever fill Krietzberg? Humm...

And yes, it will be interesting against Platty, Midd and Amherst.... but you never get better by playing down. Fortunately, they only need to play Plymouth once, and it's behind them.

Speaking of Plymouth, it's interesting to see how they and Norwich have evolved, considering both entered DIII at the same time. Any comments out there?
            I think the fact that the 2 squads have gone in opposite directions has much to do with a couple of things. The first is the support of the schools. Norwich is a huge supporter of hockey , it is their flagship if you will. Plymouth not so much. However with the building of their new rink that trend could very well change very quickly. The other factor, I think, is the coaches for Norwich are always out at different rinks recruiting. I see them at many of the tournaments that I attend, they are very visable.

As far as filling up Kreitzberg........The men's game still gets the recognition not only at Norwich but at most schools and they are the ones that get the crowds. I think most people have not caught on that the women's game is really a more pure type of hockey where there is less clutching and grabbing and skilled players can still dominate a game. The women have not yet learned all the little tricks to minimize a more skilled players effectiveness.....that will come though as you see more good players evolve on the women's side.

Comment

Just a quick scan of attendance at the top DIII Women teams last Friday, Norwich lead the way with 368. Which topped programs at all the traditionally strong leagues. I would have to say the word has gotten out. Also, the weak opening schedule this year was the same schedule as last year, only difference is last year Norwich lost those games with Utica, St. A's and UMass-Boston and beat NEC by a goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwanman View Post
                Just a quick scan of attendance at the top DIII Women teams last Friday, Norwich lead the way with 368. Which topped programs at all the traditionally strong leagues. I would have to say the word has gotten out. Also, the weak opening schedule this year was the same schedule as last year, only difference is last year Norwich lost those games with Utica, St. A's and UMass-Boston and beat NEC by a goal.
                I'd bet Plattsburgh is going to have pretty healthy sized crowds this weekend for the Elmira series. The Men's team is on the western NY trip so very few Plattsburgh fans will be traveling to see that.

I'd bet there will be 500-750 or so fans in Plattsburgh this weekend for that series.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Since you used the word bet twice, I'll take the under at your spread of 500-750 A hot dog at 550.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey Fan101
                    You do realize NEC got a new coach this year, correct? It is no longer Jackie MacMillan. Are you referring to Sis Paulsen as a nut bar?

My sister was a Badger with both of them, Sis is a bully, she'll pick a player and bully them through intimidation and power. She might be a good coach, who cares there's no room in the game for bullying in hockey, but one day karma or a bigger bully will get her.
                    Let's try to remember this thread is about Norwich Women's Hockey not supposed "Nutty Coaches" from other teams ect. Let's keep this a place where parents & fans of Norwich Women's Hockey can communicate. No goals allowed this weekend. Granted not the best competition to grade against but 2 shutouts just the same. Did not make either game but friend did and said that they played pretty well Saturday (Especially Fortier) but that Saturday, despite being much more talented then Nichols, they did not look like everyone was on the same page. Also said that Coach Bolding messed a bit with the lines and did not always have his lines together. I think if he does that against his next opponents (Holy Cross & M'Ville)............he could be asking for trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                      I'd bet Plattsburgh is going to have pretty healthy sized crowds this weekend for the Elmira series. The Men's team is on the western NY trip so very few Plattsburgh fans will be traveling to see that.

I'd bet there will be 500-750 or so fans in Plattsburgh this weekend for that series.
                      The attendance didn't even come close to 500 so I'd be careful of "betting" in the future Mr Prez. lol

I noticed attendance was down for the Norwich games over the weekend and would attribute this to the fact that it's Thanksgiving week break.

Comment

Originally posted by mainiac View Post
                        Let's try to remember this thread is about Norwich Women's Hockey not supposed "Nutty Coaches" from other teams ect. Let's keep this a place where parents & fans of Norwich Women's Hockey can communicate. No goals allowed this weekend. Granted not the best competition to grade against but 2 shutouts just the same. Did not make either game but friend did and said that they played pretty well Saturday (Especially Fortier) but that Saturday, despite being much more talented then Nichols, they did not look like everyone was on the same page. Also said that Coach Bolding messed a bit with the lines and did not always have his lines together. I think if he does that against his next opponents (Holy Cross & M'Ville)............he could be asking for trouble.

Again, whenever you play down, or vs. weaker teams, you never play at your best. Not even the best coach in the world can whip most players into thinking otherwise.

With reference to mixing up the lines, I didn't see anything out of the usual...
                        if your buddy in attendance was referencing the fact that Bolding put Sophie and Julie on the same line in the final minutes of play, it was just to let them go out and have fun, and isn't that what it's all about??? Afterall, there's no NHL after this is all said and done!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeydaddy View Post
                          The attendance didn't even come close to 500 so I'd be careful of "betting" in the future Mr Prez. lol

I noticed attendance was down for the Norwich games over the weekend and would attribute this to the fact that it's Thanksgiving week break.
                          Was hoping no one saw that...

Fair enough. I was quite wrong.

I guess I overestimated Plattsburgh's attendance capabilities...
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Waiting on an update from Futurestar on team bus sizes and players in sweatpants of the teams that have played your home team. Oh, I guess this isn't Oprah but a site focused on the Norwich Womens hockey teams performance and results.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                              Was hoping no one saw that...

Fair enough. I was quite wrong.

I guess I overestimated Plattsburgh's attendance capabilities...

Well Prez, I'll take that as an apology and accept it. Admitting your misstep goes a long way towards showing us you have a humble streak in you somewhere.

Now, with that said, attendance isn't everything anyway. For example, the Norwich women will probably draw their usual average for the upcoming games vs. Holy Cross and Manhattanville, but more important will be the outcome for EVERYONE to see.

The Holy cross game is not significant in my mind because of their lack of post season play. The Manhattanville game on the other hand is huge because although we won last season's ECAC Championship, on their pond no less, we never did beat them to get there.

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to Dec. 6 at 3 pm... Anyone want to aaahhh... "bet" on the outcome? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Schwanman View Post
                                Waiting on an update from Futurestar on team bus sizes and players in sweatpants of the teams that have played your home team. Oh, I guess this isn't Oprah but a site focused on the Norwich Womens hockey teams performance and results.
                                Now now, that's ok Schwanman... Futurestar has a perfect right to free speech on this page. Of course, credibility is important for a lot of us at Norwich so time will tell if futurestar's post going forward will reflect as such or simply lack that streak of humbleness, such as the one Prezdejohson09 has shown us.

Comment

Working...
                                X