Norwich Women's Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norwich Women's Hockey

I go out to the D3 Men's side all the time and I see that The Norwich Men's team always has a thread with their name attached to it so I figured, lets start one on the women's side as well.

Has anyone see the Norwich Women play this season? I have seen a couple of games and although I think they are a good and fast team, I think that they will have trouble when they play teams that are well coached with skilled players (The M'Villes, Holy Cross, Middlebury, Platty, Amherst). Norwich seems to play in spots and not the whole game. They will have a good period and then a mediocre one the next. In the 2 games that I have seen them they have yet to put together 3 solid periods of hockey, and with the skilled bunch that they have, they should be able to do that. Not sure what the issue is with them, maybe it is a motivation thing or a comfort thing where they just score and then sit back or what, but that plan will fail against the aforementioned better teams that they will be playing. I know they have only been around for 3 years or so, and have achieved much in that time, but this group is very fast and talented and at times they are underachieving (and yes I know they are 5-0 but so far this is the easy part of their schedule). What do others who have observed them think???

Re: Norwich Women's Hockey

Originally posted by mainiac View Post
    I go out to the D3 Men's side all the time and I see that The Norwich Men's team always has a thread with their name attached to it so I figured, lets start one on the women's side as well.

Has anyone see the Norwich Women play this season? I have seen a couple of games and although I think they are a good and fast team, I think that they will have trouble when they play teams that are well coached with skilled players (The M'Villes, Holy Cross, Middlebury, Platty, Amherst). Norwich seems to play in spots and not the whole game. They will have a good period and then a mediocre one the next. In the 2 games that I have seen them they have yet to put together 3 solid periods of hockey, and with the skilled bunch that they have, they should be able to do that. Not sure what the issue is with them, maybe it is a motivation thing or a comfort thing where they just score and then sit back or what, but that plan will fail against the aforementioned better teams that they will be playing. I know they have only been around for 3 years or so, and have achieved much in that time, but this group is very fast and talented and at times they are underachieving (and yes I know they are 5-0 but so far this is the easy part of their schedule). What do others who have observed them think???
    Although I haven't seen them play I do know they have a good coach with strong recruiting skills. Watch for this team to continue to make noise this year and years to come.i

Comment

Yes, I've seen them play. They are fast, physical and tenacious. They have had a good start but, with the exception of St. A's, they've been playing the weaker teams in the league. It will be interesting to see how they play against Mville, Middlebury and Holy Cross.

The team pulls up in one of the biggest coach buses made and what seems like 50 girls in sweat suits get off. A bunch of them dress for the game and another bunch wanders around until game time when they then find seats in the arena. Those that dress crowd onto the bench trying not to take up too much space. As the game progresses, you notice the same 6 to 10 numbers playing with little variation.

That said, I'm sure that they will have a winning season and will probably vie for the ECAC East title again this year.

Comment

Originally posted by futurestar View Post
        Yes, I've seen them play. They are fast, physical and tenacious. They have had a good start but, with the exception of St. A's, they've been playing the weaker teams in the league. It will be interesting to see how they play against Mville, Middlebury and Holy Cross.

The team pulls up in one of the biggest coach buses made and what seems like 50 girls in sweat suits get off. A bunch of them dress for the game and another bunch wanders around until game time when they then find seats in the arena. Those that dress crowd onto the bench trying not to take up too much space. As the game progresses, you notice the same 6 to 10 numbers playing with little variation.

That said, I'm sure that they will have a winning season and will probably vie for the ECAC East title again this year.

Looking at the roster they have 26 kids so that leaves 6 players not dressing as they have only two goalies this year. I’ve seen them play against So. Maine and Utica this year and I agree with you that they haven’t put in a full 60 minutes. So. Maine came out quick against them and scored a pair of goals right away but Norwich has a strong forecheck and capitalized on So. Maine’s mistakes.

I don’t know if I would say Norwich’s first 5 games have been that weak…Utica has a good team this year and if you look at So. Maine all their games have been decided by one goal 4-3 to Norwich and 3-2 Holy Cross. NEC has a great team supported by a great goalie, watch out for them this year. Norwich should beat Mass-Boston and Nichols this weekend, but I’m really looking forward to the Holy Cross and Manhattanville weekend on Dec. 4 and 6th…that will show what kind of team they have. I hear Norwich is celebrating a 100 years of hockey on the Holy Cross and M’ville weekend does anyone know if that is true?

The coach from looking at the roster brought in 6 Freshman and looking at the stats the freshman are filling their roles. Last year from what I saw Norwich had one really good line a decent second line but this year their first and second lines a pretty much the same and the third which has two freshman is solid. I still think they could improve on their defense, but behind that they have solid goaltending. They have a good schedule I can’t believe they play M’ville three times this year and adding Amherst, Platts, and Midd I think you will see Norwich in years to come be one of those top teams…

Comment

Norwich Women's Hockey

I am happy to see many of these "new" DivIII women's teams enjoying so much success so early. It speaks to the emerging parity in the women's game! Go Norwich!!
          Mark it 8, Dude

Comment

They do only have 26 on the team so I think that what you are seeing get off the bus are the 6 women not playing that day and ,if they are like a lot of the teams, 3 or 4 managers.

I think they have the talent to contend for the ECAC East title but people need to be patient and realize that this is just a 3rd year team and not expect too much too soon.

Comment

Has anyone noticed Bianca Bogda? She is a freshman there, attended St. Mary Academy in Rhode Island and a year of prep at Kents Hill. Love to hear how she is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Redhead'sDad View Post
                Has anyone noticed Bianca Bogda? She is a freshman there, attended St. Mary Academy in Rhode Island and a year of prep at Kents Hill. Love to hear how she is doing.
                2 assists in 4 games. Not bad for a frosh.

Comment

Same 6 to 10?? Really???? In the 2 games that I have seen them they have basically skated 3 lines pretty much and had at least 5 Dmen sometimes 6 that they roll and I have even seen some of the , I guess would be, 4th line women sneak onto other lines. Their website shows like 19 kids with at least 1 point???? As far as goalies go looks like the Sophmore has seen more time this season for some reason but last year it looks like it was split pretty much 50/50.

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread. Interesting reading so far... I just may have to add my 2 cents here and there to set the record straight.

Comment

I gotta like you future star... quite the sense of humor. Fact is, Bolding probably plays his 3rd and 4th lines more than he should as evidenced during the NEC game last weekend, when the 4th line was out there and NEC got their only goal in the final seconds of the game to ruin the shutout bid.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyDman View Post
                        Looking at the roster they have 26 kids so that leaves 6 players not dressing as they have only two goalies this year. I’ve seen them play against So. Maine and Utica this year and I agree with you that they haven’t put in a full 60 minutes. So. Maine came out quick against them and scored a pair of goals right away but Norwich has a strong forecheck and capitalized on So. Maine’s mistakes.

I don’t know if I would say Norwich’s first 5 games have been that weak…Utica has a good team this year and if you look at So. Maine all their games have been decided by one goal 4-3 to Norwich and 3-2 Holy Cross. NEC has a great team supported by a great goalie, watch out for them this year. Norwich should beat Mass-Boston and Nichols this weekend, but I’m really looking forward to the Holy Cross and Manhattanville weekend on Dec. 4 and 6th…that will show what kind of team they have. I hear Norwich is celebrating a 100 years of hockey on the Holy Cross and M’ville weekend does anyone know if that is true?

The coach from looking at the roster brought in 6 Freshman and looking at the stats the freshman are filling their roles. Last year from what I saw Norwich had one really good line a decent second line but this year their first and second lines a pretty much the same and the third which has two freshman is solid. I still think they could improve on their defense, but behind that they have solid goaltending. They have a good schedule I can’t believe they play M’ville three times this year and adding Amherst, Platts, and Midd I think you will see Norwich in years to come be one of those top teams…

Yes, it is true that Norwich will celebrate 100 years of hockey on the Holy Cross and M’ville weekend. It will be a fun weekend, festivities wise, but more importantly, to me anyway, will be the outcome the games. Certainly, winning both will validate the depth of the team.

Comment

Same 6 to 10?? Really???? In the 2 games that I have seen them they have basically skated 3 lines pretty much and had at least 5 Dmen sometimes 6 that they roll and I have even seen some of the , I guess would be, 4th line women sneak onto other lines. Their website shows like 19 kids with at least 1 point???? As far as goalies go looks like the Sophmore has seen more time this season for some reason but last year it looks like it was split pretty much 50/50.
                          Update on goalies for Norwich, Junior has been injuried and is slowly returning to action. She played Friday night first game.

Comment

The Junior Goalie needed some time to heal from a minor injury. But it also gave the sophmore goalie a chance to prove herself and gain some confidence, which, given her record, she did!

And you're quite accurate in describing how Coach Bolding rotates the lines. Yes it is true that at times it seems only a few play, but as a former coach, one needs to understand you have to work around pp's, pk's, etc., and all the while, work the lines to end up with a "W".

Comment

Great site! Was looking all last year for somebody to start a site for Norwich Girls. Need my fix, as its hard to follow daughter from the Prairies of Canada. Big weekend after Thanksgiving, hope girls don't look too far ahead.

I noticed from schedule both Holy Cross and Manhattenville play games mid week before Norwich games while our girls are dorment. Could be trouble?

Comment

Working...
                              X