Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire Walt Kyle (nmu Is Going To The Pits!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pink Pony
    Hire a Development Director for the hockey team simlar to what MTU did with the football team before the program was going to fold.

A person to be in constant contact with alumni of the hockey program to raise the proper funds.
    Okay, now you've just added $50k to the athletic department overhead, before you can even recoup some of those costs. I understand that "you need to spend money to make money," and I've preached that repeatedly over the years during this penny watching era.

But, this role seems to be something that someone in the athletic department should already be handling. Or the President of the University should be out shaking hands and making some calls.

Simple things to at least get fans in the door and interested have also been ignored. That has more to do with the old athletic department. Would it kill the school to do orange/camo ball caps with the wildcat logo on the front as a giveaway to the first 1000 fans deer season weekend?

Toss tennis balls, or rec room sponsored pool floats with a number on them. If that number matches the player who scores the first goal, you win X% off at the bookstore. Or a free cap or win one of the cheap promo sweatshirts.

Maybe this position does need to be created, with say 40 or 50 % time devoted to hockey, and the rest other sports.

And you know what embarassing about this? A group of nobody message board posters have practically hand wrote and delivered some decent marketing and promotion for this program, only to have everyone above the hockey program ignore it.

Forget helping this team, I want the 100K+ yearly salary for putting my fingers in my ears and yelling "la la la la la" that the board of education gets.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Re: Fire Walt Kyle (nmu Is Going To The Pits!)

Starbucks Coffee, how many other schools can say they have an alum with one of the most recognized coffee place in the WORLD.
      You're assuming that NMU hasn't asked. I can guarantee you that high-profile alumni, especially rich ones, are being contacted by every public university for every dollar that they can find. State support for higher education is either not matching pace with cost growth or declining in a relative sense in virtually every state in the Union. Good luck getting hockey money out of an alumnus without ties to the hockey program.

Your real growth opportunity is in the boosters who give money to the program, and they can be buttressed by the people who do not give yet. These appeals can and should be made, and they probably are already, but let me tell you: impersonal requests for money don't do jack crap. I found five alumni who didn't give any money toward hockey five years ago. They now bring in $5k+ every year, and I am willing to bet that they're all thinking about giving more with the recent fundraising. If you are an NMU booster, find people that you know that like the program but aren't giving and get them to give $25—that's the exact dollar amount that those guys started at. If you are not a booster, become one for the same dollar amount. If you are not a booster and are unwilling to give any money at all, shut your cake hole and break your keyboard in half. I gave four figures to UAH last year when I did not have a job. If I can give that much, you can give 1% of that.

I believe that this is where I quote "Be the change that you wish to see."

Have a nice day, and please give to NMU. You have a fine program, and I look forward to spirited games for the next 20 years.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        And you know what embarassing about this? A group of nobody message board posters have practically hand wrote and delivered some decent marketing and promotion for this program, only to have everyone above the hockey program ignore it.
        Hey, Forrest Karr responded to an email I sent him in the 2009-era, so if he'll listen to a dude from Alabama, you think that he'd listen to some ideas from y'all. I also find that small athletic departments can get overwhelmed. I worked at UAH two springs ago after our AD died and we needed a hand. Those people were pulling on the rope with all hands on deck, but they needed more people. I love the deer weekend idea — maybe find a manufacturer that would do it and convert the logo to B&W for its use. Hell, see if you can get a prototype done. Sometimes all these people need are a push and a project shovel-ready for their execution.

I can't speak to the size of the NMU athletic department, but I know that UAH could used 2-4 more staff people, especially given that we have a hell of a basketball program to go with hockey, to say nothing of our bat-and-ball sports that start as those three sports finish their seasons. They'll take any help that they're given.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Can Dave Shyiak come back?
          There are no openings for him.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Add a coach. Wasn't he a coach at NMU for a few years?
            You can't do that. NCAA rules won't allow a third paid assistant. Not will the budget.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Did the Pony's posts get deleted?
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                Did the Pony's posts get deleted?
                I think the duplicate account was finally taken care of.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

You certainly can't argue with the passion here! Great to see people fired up regardless of your positions. Better then most programs.

If anyone one of us were millionaires, safe to bet we'd share the wealth with NMU hockey! We should all vow, if we win the lottery, to support the program. Just dreaming big.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    I think the duplicate account was finally taken care of.
                    I guess not. :|

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Pour your heart into it just ask Starbucks owner Howard Schultz.
                      Obviously you don't get it and your knowledge of the situation is quite limited, even though others have commented quite accurately.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        Obviously you don't get it and your knowledge of the situation is quite limited, even though others have commented quite accurately.
                        Howard Schultz ex NMU Wildcat football player and present owner of Starbucks Coffee is the 311th richest person in the United States and has a net worth $1.5 Billion.
                        Don't you think he might have a dime for the NMU Wildcats Hockey team.

Terry Pequala ranks 367th richest behind Howard Schultz.
                        Last edited by Pink Pony; 05-16-2013, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
                          Howard Schultz ex NMU Wildcat football player and present owner of Starbucks Coffee is the 311th richest person in the United States and has a net worth $1.5 Billion.
                          Don't you think he might have a dime for the NMU Wildcats Hockey team.

Terry Pequala ranks 367th richest behind Howard Schultz.
                          Actually Pegula is personally worth 3.1 Billion, a couple years ago he sold his company for in excess of 4.5 . Mr Schultz already makes contributions to the University in the manner which he finds most appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            Actually Pegula is personally worth 3.1 Billion, a couple years ago he sold his company for in excess of 4.5 . Mr Schultz already makes contributions to the University in the manner which he finds most appropriate.
                            My point is NMU has Howard Schultz and Penn State has Terry Pequla.

If NMU had some decent sales people on staff the Athletic Department .would be in fine financial shape they took Howard Schultz, Tom Izzo, and Steve Maraucci out on the town.

Has Forrest Karr the AD met these fine ex NMU sports alumni, yet?

With Forresr Karrs hockey and lawyer background he should be able to bring the hockey program to the much needed funds to compete with North Dakotas and Minnesotas.

Marquette is a hockey city and is one of the most livable cities in the US even for retires and all the snow.

Looking at the big picture I don't see any excuses for people not putting buts in the seats at the Berry Events Center. Many good jobs are in Marquette with the hospital and university.

The NMU hockey team needs a person or persons to market/sell seats and raise money for the program.

I dont want to see NMU Wildcats end up like Wayne State or Findley because nobody did anything to fix the problem,

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
                              My point is NMU has Howard Schultz and Penn State has Terry Pequla.

If NMU had some decent sales people on staff the Athletic Department .would be in fine financial shape they took Howard Schultz, Tom Izzo, and Steve Maraucci out on the town.

Has Forrest Karr the AD met these fine ex NMU sports alumni, yet?

With Forresr Karrs hockey and lawyer background he should be able to bring the hockey program to the much needed funds to compete with North Dakotas and Minnesotas.

Marquette is a hockey city and is one of the most livable cities in the US even for retires and all the snow.

Looking at the big picture I don't see any excuses for people not putting buts in the seats at the Berry Events Center. Many good jobs are in Marquette with the hospital and university.

The NMU hockey team needs a person or persons to market/sell seats and raise money for the program.

I dont want to see NMU Wildcats end up like Wayne State or Findley because nobody did anything to fix the problem,
                              Stronger marketing is a definite must. And many ideas are being considered to improve attendance the fan experience. Will it all happen? Will it all work? That remains to be seen. But many efforts are being made within what the budget will allow. The university is in regular contact with the persons you've mentioned and many, many more. The persons you mention all have made and continue to make significant contributions that are greatly appreciated. Steve and Tommy not only make great contributions, but serve as tremendous ambassadors for NMU as well.

Comment

Two observations:

1. Go ask Karr for a job/internship, Pony. You clearly have a lot of ideas about how it should be done.

2. If you really want to know who is giving what to whom, NMU, like UAH, is a public university and therefore must disclose giving. You can find out if you're really curious. Obviously this won't tell you why certain people are giving, why others aren't, and who has and hasn't been asked, but it's a start.

But I think that davyd83 is right, and he's pretty close to the program.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X